Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with the Power Wagon (Tradesman with Powerwagon Package)

colbshoots

Reaction score
Who's doing it? How heavy have you gone? Has anyone added load level kits?

I'm looking to get a larger camper and I'm worried it will squat hard when I double my tongue weight over what I have now. The newer camper will likely be around 800-900 lbs of tongue weight. It looks like I'll be looking into either heavier rear springs or adding an airbag kit...possibly...maybe...

jupp0r

Reaction score
You should be fine stock if you use a weight distributing hitch and adjust it well, especially the hitch height. I’d expect only a little squat.

time2kyl

Reaction score
I have a 30 TT. I use a WDH and airbags with 0 issues. Moved cross country with it loaded, probably 1000 lb tongue weight and another 1000 in the bed. Overweight, but airbags at 60 lbs and everything was fine.

Also have a boat at about 500 lbs tongue weight. No WDH or air in bags and still not sagging.

Attachments

• IMG_20200214_094354.jpg
    IMG_20200214_094354.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

mikenacarato

Reaction score
I have a 33' Bullet 287qbs that weighs in at about 6000lbs dry with about 750lbs tongue weight. I also have a Moomba boat that weight in at 4200lbs dry . For the camper i have a weight distribution hitch and if set up right it pulls it effortlessly. This truck can tow very well.
MVIMG_20200710_193941.jpgIMG_20200701_162950.jpg

colbshoots

Reaction score
40' TT with my WHD set the best I can get it. Around 9k lbs dry weight. No airbags!

View attachment 8598

Are you using a load distribution hitch set up on the travel trailer? If so, were you able to get a normal one? I'm worried I'll have to get a longer drop considering how tall the back of our trucks sit.

Fredoe

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a tradesman with the power wagon option. I mainly will use this for towing our travel trailer but I wanted to have this as a toy for myself as well so I had the option of off roading and a smoother ride for a 3/4 ton on the highway. The thing is for what I'll be towing it will pretty much max out all the towing numbers on this vehicle. Can anyone tell me your experience with power wagon towing and what you think about what I'm trying to do. I realise this is the poor mans power wagon but it's all that fits my budget. Thanks.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Should work. The only thing that you will have trouble with I think would be sag but I believe that there is long travel air bags available. One time I saw a PW pulling a triple axle 24’ STEEL livestock trailer hauling cattle!

RndmGlitch

Reaction score
Are you using a load distribution hitch set up on the travel trailer? If so, were you able to get a normal one? I'm worried I'll have to get a longer drop considering how tall the back of our trucks sit.
Sorry - I just saw this reply. I am using a WDH. I have the Recurve R6 but I did have to get a longer drop shank for it.

Loops

Reaction score
Anyone tow an off-road trailer like an Opus 4 or Patriot x3? Approx 3.5-4K lb. off-road trailers. I just cnx an order on a TRX after seeing a video of it squat over 4 in with a 6k trailer. Hoping a Power Wagon is a better option for our off-road adventures.

MichiganPW

Reaction score
I have a 33' Bullet 287qbs that weighs in at about 6000lbs dry with about 750lbs tongue weight. I also have a Moomba boat that weight in at 4200lbs dry . For the camper i have a weight distribution hitch and if set up right it pulls it effortlessly. This truck can tow very well.
View attachment 8225View attachment 8226
What kind of hitch are you using? I have a Pro and it must not drop far enough. My chains have to be on link 3 (it’s recommended to be at 5)to take any weight off the truck and then they bind and the bar popped off.
This is my first time using a WDH with my new Ram PW, my past leaf springs GM HDs didn’t need the WDH.

I’ve watched how to vids on you tube with no luck. I’ve been towing for years but never with a WDH.

I feel like an idiot lol.

MichiganPW

Reaction score
Sorry - I just saw this reply. I am using a WDH. I have the Recurve R6 but I did have to get a longer drop shank for it.
How did you find the longer shank? This could be my issue also. Please see my post above.

Users who are viewing this thread