Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TOWING TECHNOLOGY GROUP

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
TOWING TECHNOLOGY GROUP
-inc: Trailer Reverse Guidance, CTR Stop Lamp w/Cargo View Camera
Code: AAN

I tried some searching and even looked at the 2018 2500 but haven't come up with anything.
I normally put toppers on the truck as I need the larger more 'secure' storage it provides

The cargo camera is self-explanatory (and would be rendered useless by the topper), but what does it mean by 'trailer reverse guidance?

pd1072

Reaction score
Hey Gondul, I found the below online when I was ordering

"The new Heavy Duty also comes with a lot of gadgets that help when towing or off-roading: a new 360-degree surround-view camera with trailer reverse guidance view provides a single display-screen view of both sides of a trailer to assist drivers in maneuvering towing setups, while a new auxiliary exterior camera improves visibility with custom positioning in and behind trailers. "

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Thanks @pd1072

That helps clarify what is in that group... and based solely on the description it appears that "Trailer Reverse Guidance" uses the CHMSL camera which means it would be useless with a topper?

Maybe an email to FCA to clarify... likely will be told that I will have to wait until the build site opens up.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Thanks @pd1072

That helps clarify what is in that group... and based solely on the description it appears that "Trailer Reverse Guidance" uses the CHMSL camera which means it would be useless with a topper?

Maybe an email to FCA to clarify... likely will be told that I will have to wait until the build site opens up.

I saw a video, using the side mirror cameras, you actually get a screen that shows down the sides, it's from the mirrors. You can also adjust it right or left depending on which side you need to see more. Wasn't from the cargo cam.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I saw a video, using the side mirror cameras, you actually get a screen that shows down the sides, it's from the mirrors. You can also adjust it right or left depending on which side you need to see more. Wasn't from the cargo cam.

Yep.. it was a TFLTruck video.

This article seems to make a differentiation between the cargo camera and the 360/trailer guidance.

New 2019 Ram Heavy Duty is the Benchmark for Performance, Capability, Technology and Luxury
  • New 360-degree surround-view camera with trailer reverse guidance view provides a single display-screen view of both sides of a trailer to assist drivers in maneuvering towing setups
  • New auxiliary exterior camera improves visibility with custom positioning in and behind trailers

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
  • New auxiliary exterior camera improves visibility with custom positioning in and behind trailers
Interesting. Have you actually seen this camera? I can't find it online anywhere or as a build option on the 2500.

tastysuds

Reaction score
I believe it is a camera sold at the dealerships part dept. It plugs into your existing radio and can be placed inside your trailer or behind it. I don't know if its wireless or hardwired.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
I believe it is a camera sold at the dealerships part dept. It plugs into your existing radio and can be placed inside your trailer or behind it. I don't know if its wireless or hardwired.

I believe it’s wireless but can not confirm
Thanks to both of you. As long as it runs through the 12" video screen, I don't care if it's wired or wireless. The main thing I want is integration so that we don't need a separate monitor to view the camera.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Isn't this the camera in the CHMSL?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera is a separate purchase but the truck is set up to use its image the same way it can the other cameras.

You can put it on the rear of your camper. You can put it inside your horse trailer to view your horse, etc.

The cargo camera is mounted with the CHMSL. It has gridlines so you can see if your cargo moved.

Tow technology group is awesome...and can be had on every trim including Tradesman.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
The camera is a separate purchase but the truck is set up to use its image the same way it can the other cameras.

You can put it on the rear of your camper. You can put it inside your horse trailer to view your horse, etc.

The cargo camera is mounted with the CHMSL.
Interesting. I’m glad they have differentiated the camera to provide a separate point of view behind the trailer, yet be integrated within the 12” screen.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So you guys are correct, this was the answer I received from RAM, but, they didn't really answer my question about the CHMSL camera and if was needed as part of the trailer reverse guidance view :

"With regards to the Trailer Camera; this camera is not included within the Cargo Camera Group. The available Auxiliary Trailer Camera Prep Group is a separate group that can be added to the Ram HD pickup to make monitoring an add-on trailer camera convenient.

This group provides these features to make installation/use easier:
  • Compatible with 8.4” and 12” Uconnect Display
  • Camera interface display software programmed in radio
  • 7-/12-way connectors at rear bumper or in pickup bed
The Trailer Camera itself is not included and can be purchased aftermarket through Mopar."

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you watch any video showing the new tow technology group at work. You can watch down either side of your trailer both backing into your spot, or navigating through small towns. Awesome. And the rear spotlight on the mirrors...great.

Add the auxiliary camera on the back...and you sure better not have any issues towing these trailers at all.

And you can powerfold your tow mirrors. The 1500 crowd will be filled with envy.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Did you watch any video showing the new tow technology group at work. You can watch down either side of your trailer both backing into your spot, or navigating through small towns. Awesome. And the rear spotlight on the mirrors...great.

Add the auxiliary camera on the back...and you sure better not have any issues towing these trailers at all.

And you can powerfold your tow mirrors. The 1500 crowd will be filled with envy.

I think TFL had that video showing how you can see down the side at different angles....that's pretty neat and I'm sure terribly helpful!
Mmmmm... powerfold mirrors... it's not like that horse hasn't been beaten to death on the 5thGen Forum... sheesh...

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool, then you did see it. These HD trucks are set up to tow and really make the trip as stressless as possible.

I know you can tow an airstream with a Volkswagen beetle with properly reinforced towing system...butnot as comfortably and as relaxing as you can with a RAM HD and the tow technology group

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Cool, then you did see it. These HD trucks are set up to tow and really make the trip as stressless as possible.

I know you can tow an airstream with a Volkswagen beetle with properly reinforced towing system...butnot as comfortably and as relaxing as you can with a RAM HD and the tow technology group

Don't have to sell me! I'm just waiting to find a build on a lot that is similar to what I want so I can check out the payload sticker.... the Longhorn I posted in the other thread is likely close @2735 lbs payload

I'd ditch the snow plow group (no idea on weight) and the ramboxes (about 160), the other stuff seems to be similar to what is on the Limited.

ernursing21

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to find out when the aux camera will be available or price?

Reactions: RLB

Stumblefoot

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread