Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TOWING TECHNOLOGY GROUP

thestuarts

Reaction score

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Sorry, I replied to your earlier email before I saw your follow-up.
When you do a search for both those part numbers, they both follow under Prep Kit only.. Weird.. Either way, I ordered it for my 3500, even though if it doesn't do observation, only backup camera, will probably continue using the one I have now that's a big 7" screen with Furrion… Works great Wirelessly..

arude

Reaction score
For 650 bucks , agree with you, i will stick with my current wireless observation camera.

Phil T

Reaction score
I know mine isn't a 2019, but I am having issue with my 12v+ on my trailer plug.

Since you had this all apart...where all are the connections.

I had a blown fuse, but it was only for the trailer reverse lights, they now work(was hoping it was the same fuse for 12v+...nope).

I haven't looked at any connection yet (other than a glance at the back of the plug)

My trailer battery is fully charged so not real concerned about it, just want it to work.

If anyone has any experience with what to do, greatly appreciated.
The Camera harness is an addition that is run alongside the existing wiring. The 12v source for your trailer connector is usually provided by a separate fuse. That is for charging the trailer batteries when underway. If you find it, check to see if it is blown. If it is, you have a short to ground somewhere between that fuse and the rear connector. The wiring harness connects to the trailer connector at the back behind the bumper. You can disconnect the harness from the trailer connector itself.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
The Camera harness is an addition that is run alongside the existing wiring. The 12v source for your trailer connector is usually provided by a separate fuse. That is for charging the trailer batteries when underway. If you find it, check to see if it is blown. If it is, you have a short to ground somewhere between that fuse and the rear connector. The wiring harness connects to the trailer connector at the back behind the bumper. You can disconnect the harness from the trailer connector itself.
Thanks for the reply. All of my fuses are good...every single one. They were all loose as some have noticed, they see now all pushed in.

I did check the wires at the plug, but am not sure were the next connection is.

Will give it another look see when we get back. Right now I just do not feel like being under a truck.

Thanks again.

arude

Reaction score
After 3 trips to the RAM dealer they finally agreed with me that after ordering the camera kit as an option when i bought the truck, in reality when delivered it was not on the truck. I knew that from the start as it came with the 4 over 7 trailer plug and not the 12 over 7. I am encouraged that once this was understood by them they jumped in and ordered the kit that they will install to make the issue right. Now its questionable if i ever buy the camera as i am not in a hurry to run more wires to the back of my TT for another camera, especially if its backup only. I really want a observation camera that wireless. I have that now. So may stick with what i have and put up with another display in the cab. HOWEVER i did see an ad for a company that makes after market wireless cameras that can interface with the center stack displays on the new trucks. This is absolutely more of what i had in mind. Not cheep, but less that buying the wiring kit for the truck and the camera from RAM. Here is the web site for anyone that wants to check it out. visionworkscameras.com

Cummins0867

Reaction score
After 3 trips to the RAM dealer they finally agreed with me that after ordering the camera kit as an option when i bought the truck, in reality when delivered it was not on the truck. I knew that from the start as it came with the 4 over 7 trailer plug and not the 12 over 7. I am encouraged that once this was understood by them they jumped in and ordered the kit that they will install to make the issue right. Now its questionable if i ever buy the camera as i am not in a hurry to run more wires to the back of my TT for another camera, especially if its backup only. I really want a observation camera that wireless. I have that now. So may stick with what i have and put up with another display in the cab. HOWEVER i did see an ad for a company that makes after market wireless cameras that can interface with the center stack displays on the new trucks. This is absolutely more of what i had in mind. Not cheep, but less that buying the wiring kit for the truck and the camera from RAM. Here is the web site for anyone that wants to check it out. visionworkscameras.com

Ok brother here's my experience.....I thought I wanted the same thing...a camera/wireless trailer camera that will interface with the truck's center stack but......after towing my Riverstone Legacy (to a location I was not familiar with) and using the Furrion wireless camera/observation camera and 7" screen that came with the 5th wheel when I ordered it with that package. I don't want my trailer camera to be on the trucks center stack. There too much going on with the center stack already to have my trailer camera on that screen. You wouldn't have time to switch back and forth on the center stack...if its on the wrong screen i.e. Navagtion/map....its actually much nicer with the two screens because when you have to make that sudden lane change its already on the correct screen....and you won't miss your exit off the highway because you can instantly see the map on the NAV screen on the trucks center stack while watching the trailer camera screen to change lanes....just my experience and opinion...I hope it sparks your thoughts on this subject.

Get the Furrion wireless camera/observation cameras two side cameras, rear camera and I have a door camera. They work very well....When I park and set up it turns into a security system for a 360 degree view around the 5th wheel....well actually there is no king pin view. I'm going to buy another Furrion camera and put it on my cargo trailer for a back up camera and then pair it to my screen and then I'm covered with trailer cameras on all of my trailers!

Last edited:

arude

Reaction score
I like your logic and perspective. As at the moment i dont have the center stack camera setup, when i head to the beach next weekend it will be with my current setup to include the separate display for my wireless observation camera, much like you have. so i get plenty of opportunity to validate your observations. However you really have me thinking now.. Maybe i save the bucks on the camera and get the TTPMS when it finally comes out. Dont have one of those as yet. :)

Cummins0867

Reaction score
I like your logic and perspective. As at the moment i dont have the center stack camera setup, when i head to the beach next weekend it will be with my current setup to include the separate display for my wireless observation camera, much like you have. so i get plenty of opportunity to validate your observations. However you really have me thinking now.. Maybe i save the bucks on the camera and get the TTPMS when it finally comes out. Dont have one of those as yet. :)

Im in the same boat as you...as the camera and TPMS were included in the package when I ordered the truck in early FEB "19....I fought RAM and (as my truck did not include the wireless trailer camera) I have a case open and RAM is buying the camera/the prep package and they are installing it when it comes out. But I dont think I want it.......and wish I fought for the TPMS...but the guy at Ram said that the trailer TPMS can not be added to the truck...it could only be installed at the factory....I dont believe him....we shall see!

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera is described as remote, and was stated as a separate purchase. Where have you guys seen it listed as wireless and included?

Cummins0867

Reaction score
The camera is described as remote, and was stated as a separate purchase. Where have you guys seen it listed as wireless and included?

When I order my Truck in early February 2019....the attached WAS the equipment options that came with each group/package on my truck,....my dealer sent it to me and he got it from FCA's Dealer Connect.....PLEASE SEE ATTACHED. Page 1...O/A 26 Feb Ram deleted the wireless trailer camera and the trailer TPMS from the the Towing Tech group.

Attachments

• Ordered 11 FEB 19 Truck Equipment Options.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 58

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
When I order my Truck in early February 2019....the attached WAS the equipment options that came with each group/package on my truck,....my dealer sent it to me and he got it from FCA's Dealer Connect.....PLEASE SEE ATTACHED. Page 1...O/A 26 Feb Ram deleted the wireless trailer camera and the trailer TPMS from the the Towing Tech group.
Thank you for that info. That is the first time I had seen it listed that way. Very interesting.

Stavo

Reaction score
Ok brother here's my experience.....I thought I wanted the same thing...a camera/wireless trailer camera that will interface with the truck's center stack but......after towing my Riverstone Legacy (to a location I was not familiar with) and using the Furrion wireless camera/observation camera and 7" screen that came with the 5th wheel when I ordered it with that package. I don't want my trailer camera to be on the trucks center stack. There too much going on with the center stack already to have my trailer camera on that screen. You wouldn't have time to switch back and forth on the center stack...if its on the wrong screen i.e. Navagtion/map....its actually much nicer with the two screens because when you have to make that sudden lane change its already on the correct screen....and you won't miss your exit off the highway because you can instantly see the map on the NAV screen on the trucks center stack while watching the trailer camera screen to change lanes....just my experience and opinion...I hope it sparks your thoughts on this subject.

Get the Furrion wireless camera/observation cameras two side cameras, rear camera and I have a door camera. They work very well....When I park and set up it turns into a security system for a 360 degree view around the 5th wheel....well actually there is no king pin view. I'm going to buy another Furrion camera and put it on my cargo trailer for a back up camera and then pair it to my screen and then I'm covered with trailer cameras on all of my trailers!
How is your reception in the truck with the Furrion? I have a cheap one for the back of our trailer but I get spotty video at best in the cab. Our trailer is not setup for wireless so the antenna is on the camera in the back. Not sure if our issue is distance, interference or the system.

I too was disappointed that the truck's screen wouldn't get the wireless input but my SO has been saying the same thing you are in terms of the navigation and radio display 'taking over' the 8.4" screen and that a dedicated screen would be better. I just need a good way to mount the screen in the truck somewhere. I used to use a Ram mount (https://www.rammount.com) window suction cup for front facing video camera in my FJ to record four wheeling. Might try that type setup here. Just not a fan of extra cables around the cabin. Guess it's not so bad if it's only when towing.

Cummins0867

Reaction score
How is your reception in the truck with the Furrion? I have a cheap one for the back of our trailer but I get spotty video at best in the cab. Our trailer is not setup for wireless so the antenna is on the camera in the back. Not sure if our issue is distance, interference or the system.

I too was disappointed that the truck's screen wouldn't get the wireless input but my SO has been saying the same thing you are in terms of the navigation and radio display 'taking over' the 8.4" screen and that a dedicated screen would be better. I just need a good way to mount the screen in the truck somewhere. I used to use a Ram mount (https://www.rammount.com) window suction cup for front facing video camera in my FJ to record four wheeling. Might try that type setup here. Just not a fan of extra cables around the cabin. Guess it's not so bad if it's only when towing.

My reception is very good the only issue is when moving....I put it on the split screen to see all cameras at once it reverts back to the last one. When it is used in a parked position as my RV security system...and I can see in the dark via infa-red camera's....it stays on the split screen until I move it. It is very clear and there's a speaker/mic so I can hear a person in the truck if they are behind the trailer and they speak. It is the Furrion Vision S Model#FOSO7TASF.....Totally AWESOME system.....pricey but worth it!

orlando bull

Reaction score
My reception is very good the only issue is when moving....I put it on the split screen to see all cameras at once it reverts back to the last one. When it is used in a parked position as my RV security system...and I can see in the dark via infa-red camera's....it stays on the split screen until I move it. It is very clear and there's a speaker/mic so I can hear a person in the truck if they are behind the trailer and they speak. It is the Furrion Vision S Model#FOSO7TASF.....Totally AWESOME system.....pricey but worth it!
Interesting... I have the furrion and it's basically unusable for me. I wonder if I got a dud. Sitting still it's OK, but, moving down the road, it's jumpy and laggy at best. I wish it worked better, but, I have honestly stopped trying. I have a 32' travel trailer. If and when we upgrade to a fiver, I'll probably get a new camera and try it again. I see very few bad reviews on the camera, so, I suspect I just got a bad one and didn't really recognize it until it was too late to return.

Cummins0867

Reaction score
Interesting... I have the furrion and it's basically unusable for me. I wonder if I got a dud. Sitting still it's OK, but, moving down the road, it's jumpy and laggy at best. I wish it worked better, but, I have honestly stopped trying. I have a 32' travel trailer. If and when we upgrade to a fiver, I'll probably get a new camera and try it again. I see very few bad reviews on the camera, so, I suspect I just got a bad one and didn't really recognize it until it was too late to return.

My 5er was build on 25 June 2019 and is around 42'.....they did have a problem pairing one of my cameras then replaced that camera and still had the problem. They got a new screen paired them all and it works really well. I believe it's the newest and top of the line I think the security package was $1,291 installed at the factory option and it works well and is very clear. It just wont stay on the quad or 6 screen while moving....it will when stopped. While moving I can see down both sides out the door camera and all of the rear.. Very clear and I can quickly switch to any camera and get a clear picture before/while changing lanes. I usually keep it on the rear camera all the time to see who's behind me....in fact I was able to see that my wife's car hood was popped open and then confirmed looking through the outside truck mirror. We have walkie-talkies and I radioed for her to pull over behind me and I ran back and closed it.

regal2800

Reaction score

cool info thanks. You know it's possible that it could be a wireless camera and use the 12pin simply as a port to plug in a wireless dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread