Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TOWING TECHNOLOGY GROUP

D

Deleted member 80

I priced out a dually yesterday, and the camera prep showed up as an available factory option.

maxsteel

Reaction score
@regal2800, let us know how that kit install goes.

I wonder if the prep package will work with third party cameras, such as the Furrion that has pretty much become a standard on travel trailers and fifth wheels these days.

regal2800

Reaction score
The kit came in today. Its basically a new plug for the bed which includes a 7 pin for the normal trailer functions and a 12pin plug right above it for the trailer camera. It looks like we will need to wire the trailer with the camera and plug in each time we plan to use. I guess it's not a big deal for an RV etc, but i was hoping it was going to be wireless camera....

ernursing21

Reaction score
The kit came in today. Its basically a new plug for the bed which includes a 7 pin for the normal trailer functions and a 12pin plug right above it for the trailer camera. It looks like we will need to wire the trailer with the camera and plug in each time we plan to use. I guess it's not a big deal for an RV etc, but i was hoping it was going to be wireless camera....

Was it easy to switch out?

regal2800

Reaction score
I haven't installed it yet. But it is very staight forward. There is a new plug that gets installed in the bed and a wiring harness that runs up to the dash. I think the hardest part is it says that a dealer has to flash the truck.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I haven't installed it yet. But it is very staight forward. There is a new plug that gets installed in the bed and a wiring harness that runs up to the dash. I think the hardest part is it says that a dealer has to flash the truck.

The question is whether the dealer willing to flash the truck...

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
What do you mean “flash the truck “ ?

Basically, the computer on the truck needs to recognize the addition of the harness, otherwise it won't work.
Something as simple as adding the LED bed lighting requires the truck to be flashed... as some folks found out on the 1500 forum (there is a work around, but then it doesn't work like the flashed lights work).

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
THey will do it. the question is how much would they charge?

I believe that has not been the case for some folks on the 1500 board... dealer has either refused to flash or claimed they have been unable to flash...

And yes, I'm sure they will charge quite nicely for the flash.

bobohio

Reaction score
so if I got the towing tech group on my truck...is that something they will ship automatically?? I took delivery on mine 5/1

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
The kit came in today. Its basically a new plug for the bed which includes a 7 pin for the normal trailer functions and a 12pin plug right above it for the trailer camera. It looks like we will need to wire the trailer with the camera and plug in each time we plan to use.
Regal, do you have a part number for this kit? I want to make sure my dealer orders it and installs it prior to my pickup date in a few weeks.

redwinelvr

Reaction score
So if you do this kit and require a 4 pin harness for some reason, how would you do that? Sounds like the 12 pin replaces the 4 pin?

pdavey

Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of camera plugs into the 12 pin harness? I can’t find a resource for a trailer camera that is compatible anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread