Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TOWING TECHNOLOGY GROUP

rmarchjr

Reaction score
I decided not to wait, $242 Amazon had a dual camera system, via Blue tooth and an 8" lcd screen which can show either of both cameras.
I have a view down on the trailer bumper and a "rear view mirror" camera. The images are bit slow and skip frames when moving fast but its perfect for parking, backing up, and highway congestion.
Also the 8" LCD fits perfectly in the center tray and plugs into the outlet there, Always on if trailer is attached, removed when not towing and leaves the 12" screen free for Music and directions.
This one was a real miss on RAM's part, next I will add the Trailer Tire Pressure sensors also NOT OEM also for 1/5 the cost.

dalepres

Reaction score
I decided not to wait, $242 Amazon had a dual camera system, via Blue tooth and an 8" lcd screen which can show either of both cameras.
I have a view down on the trailer bumper and a "rear view mirror" camera. The images are bit slow and skip frames when moving fast but its perfect for parking, backing up, and highway congestion.
Also the 8" LCD fits perfectly in the center tray and plugs into the outlet there, Always on if trailer is attached, removed when not towing and leaves the 12" screen free for Music and directions.
This one was a real miss on RAM's part, next I will add the Trailer Tire Pressure sensors also NOT OEM also for 1/5 the cost.

Link, please.

Phil T

Reaction score
The new wiring harness has pins that plug into empty holes in that existing connector. The rear trailer plug gets replaced with a new one.

Phil T

Reaction score
We don't need no stinking Mopar camera! Just for my own piece of mind, today I decided to see if any old camera would work as an Aux camera. I had already installed the XFQ wiring a few months ago and was not real happy about buying a Mopar camera that someone said was a POS. So.....
Here are pictures of a test that I did with a 7 year old cheap China camera that came with a setup that I had for my old Suburban. The camera was attached to my trailer for several years and the clear plastic covering the lens is not in the best of shape, but it worked and the picture looks far better than the Mopar camera. Now, I did not have the extra lengths of cable that you would have for a trailer, so I would expect some degradation of picture quality once that is included. Keep in mind that the actual image is better than the one here since taking a photo of a screen will always have that herringbone effect due to differences in scan rates unless you have a special camera.

Still, $20.00 or >$500.00? I choose $20. I will be shopping for a nice camera to mount on the back of the travel trailer. The wiring is all there from when I had my Suburban. I used Siamese cable that is probably better quality than what would come with the Mopar camera.

See the pictures and judge for yourself.20200416_143457.jpg

Attachments

• 20200416_143532.jpg
    20200416_143532.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200416_143502.jpg
    20200416_143502.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 87

thestuarts

Reaction score
We don't need no stinking Mopar camera! Just for my own piece of mind, today I decided to see if any old camera would work as an Aux camera. I had already installed the XFQ wiring a few months ago and was not real happy about buying a Mopar camera that someone said was a POS. So.....
Here are pictures of a test that I did with a 7 year old cheap China camera that came with a setup that I had for my old Suburban. The camera was attached to my trailer for several years and the clear plastic covering the lens is not in the best of shape, but it worked and the picture looks far better than the Mopar camera. Now, I did not have the extra lengths of cable that you would have for a trailer, so I would expect some degradation of picture quality once that is included. Keep in mind that the actual image is better than the one here since taking a photo of a screen will always have that herringbone effect due to differences in scan rates unless you have a special camera.

Still, $20.00 or >$500.00? I choose $20. I will be shopping for a nice camera to mount on the back of the travel trailer. The wiring is all there from when I had my Suburban. I used Siamese cable that is probably better quality than what would come with the Mopar camera.

See the pictures and judge for yourself.

That's great news. Can you describe the pin outs?

thestuarts

Reaction score
Here is the pinout from the XFQ install instructions.

Do you have any idea what resolution of camera the dashboard supports? (480, 720, 1080, 4k)

Please confirm the following for the pinout:

For the camera yellow connector, the yellow wire is connected to pin 9 (video+) and the black wire is connected to pin 10 (video-).
For the camera red connector, the red wire is connected to pin 1 (power) and the black wire is connected to pin 6 (ground).
Nothing appears to be connected to pin 8 (video drain).

Phil T

Reaction score
Do you have any idea what resolution of camera the dashboard supports? (480, 720, 1080, 4k)

Please confirm the following for the pinout:

For the camera yellow connector, the yellow wire is connected to pin 9 (video+) and the black wire is connected to pin 10 (video-).
For the camera red connector, the red wire is connected to pin 1 (power) and the black wire is connected to pin 6 (ground).
Nothing appears to be connected to pin 8 (video drain).
Drain is just a shield. My test camera uses the coax shield as video minus.

I don't know the resolution that the Uconnect screen supports for cameras. It might be listed somewhere online.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Drain is just a shield. My test camera uses the coax shield as video minus.

I don't think I see a coax cable in your picture. I believe I see a yellow RCA cable and a red power cable. Do you mean the shield from the yellow RCA cable is connected to the video minus?

Phil T

Reaction score
Yes. Correct. I took an old tv video cable and put some 14 awg solid wire on one end to be able to plug it into the trailer connector. Same as power. I made up a power connector the same way. This was only a test. I need a better camera and I have a Ford cable coming that has the same male connector that comes with the Mopar camera.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Phil T

Reaction score

thestuarts

Reaction score
Yes. Correct. I took an old tv video cable and put some 14 awg solid wire on one end to be able to plug it into the trailer connector. Same as power. I made up a power connector the same way. This was only a test. I need a better camera and I have a Ford cable coming that has the same male connector that comes with the Mopar camera.

Thank you! Do you mind sharing the Ford part number and source?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I will as soon as I get it to make sure it will work.

Any chance we can get you to test with just the video leads and use external 12V power and ground? I would want to power my aux camera from the RV running lights and just ship the video. Wondering if the Uconnect needs to see the camera getting power for some reason.

Phil T

Reaction score
I dont think there would be a problem running 12v from the trailer power. The camera power lead comes directly out of the under hood fuse panel. Ground is to the frame. No way there is any sensing going on with power. It probably is looking only for a valid video signal.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Makes me wish I had yanked the old alpine camera off the back of my old RV before I traded it. Had 105* vertical view, just no night vision and pretty low res.

Figured I'd get something better and here I am going into the 2nd year with the new RV and still no observation cam.

I'm still planning to get one of the nice Sony UCCD cams eventually. Even if it isn't constant on. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread