Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Technology Group a must-have?

Troutd0g

Reaction score
Looking at upgrading Ram 1500 to 2019 3500 and trading travel trailer for 5th wheel. Towing Tech group looks valuable. If you have it do you use it? Is it a must-have option? Seems to be rather hard to find on current dealer inventory for some reason. Will I regret it badly if I skip it?

MyFavreInABox

Reaction score
That somewhat depends on what trim, when the truck was built, and exactly which options you are looking for in the towing tech group. Limited trucks now have the features of the towing tech group standard. Note that does not include trailer tire monitoring or trailer camera which are just starting to become available to order (maybe?).

Troutd0g

Reaction score
The trim I am interested in is Laramie. The surround view cameras seem to be the premier feature of the group. Trying to decide whether to hold out for a unit with it since they are hard to find with around here in northern Colorado for some reason. Generally my opinion is that more cameras and angles that can be viewed from drivers seat is goodness. Why not? But is it worth the $2K in cost? Does the side view camera provide a better view than can be had with the tow mirrors?

LaserDoc

Reaction score
The trim I am interested in is Laramie. The surround view cameras seem to be the premier feature of the group. Trying to decide whether to hold out for a unit with it since they are hard to find with around here in northern Colorado for some reason. Generally my opinion is that more cameras and angles that can be viewed from drivers seat is goodness. Why not? But is it worth the $2K in cost? Does the side view camera provide a better view than can be had with the tow mirrors?
I just received my Laramie DRW yesterday and I can definitively say that the surround camera and the different views are a game-changer.

D

Deleted member 80

Does the side view camera provide a better view than can be had with the tow mirrors?

I certainly hope so. That is the main reason I bought it, besides the TTPMS which they are not able to deliver. My toyhauler is 102" wide plus the awning on the right side, and the axles are way back like a LQ horse trailer. The bullwinkle mirror gives me zero view down the right side for merging and passing, and for curb clearance for right turns I am hoping the adjustable spot mirror in conjunction with the camera view that can be panned out will solve that issue.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
Does the truck let you use the side view cameras while driving so you can watch the sides of a trailer? I was just watching a first drive video on the Silverado HD and it did. The cameras would even automatically pan farther out when turning.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
Does the truck let you use the side view cameras while driving so you can watch the sides of a trailer? I was just watching a first drive video on the Silverado HD and it did. The cameras would even automatically pan farther out when turning.

You can, but at about 10mph the camera view will shut off. You can use it at higher speeds but it will automatically switch back to another screen after a short while.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
Since these trucks have been out for a while now, any new thoughts on the value of this package? I may end up ordering a truck so it would be nice to know how much all of you are using it. Do all of the extra cameras help for normal driving as well, like when parking?

Burton12387

Reaction score
A few comments-

- I really wish the mirror cameras came on with your turn signals.
- 360 degree camera is nice for parking lot lines.
- 360 degree camera is nice if you’re just sitting in your truck on your laptop or on a phone call, being able to see all around the vehicle without turning your head.
- front camera is awesome for getting close to things.

The one feature I think I like the most is that if you have your “camera off delay” turned on in your settings, after backing up and putting truck into drive, the front camera will turn on for about 5 seconds while your beginning to go forward. This gives me a last second chance to see something has made its way in front of my truck. Toy, dog, kid, person. I realize the proximity sensors also go off, but it’s neat to be able to see it for a split second before I start moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stavo

Reaction score
I really like all the cameras for offroad as well. I do like the side view cameras when backing the trailer but they are a 'nice to have', not a necessity as the tow mirrors are pretty good for my use. Surround view is nice in tight turns like drive thru or ATM lanes that have inside corner solid obstacles. Again, nice to have but not required.

I am very happy we got it on the truck.

Brav

Reaction score
I got the cameras - and 100% I would NOT get the truck without them now that I have them. Great for towing, yes.. but even better for parking and maneuvering (Especially with a mild lift/ 37" tires)

Ddmac

Reaction score
I wasn’t sure that it was a necessity when I got my truck but it is something I don’t want to be without on future trucks.

Billcf7

Reaction score
Only a $400 option here in Canada, a no brainer for sure

D

Deleted member 80

Not nearly as useful as I hoped. The sideview cameras don't stay on when I need them most, and it takes too many pushes to get back to them. As pointed out, if they came on with the turn signals it would be much more helpful. I don't know if I would order them again.

Brav

Reaction score
Not nearly as useful as I hoped. The sideview cameras don't stay on when I need them most, and it takes too many pushes to get back to them. As pointed out, if they came on with the turn signals it would be much more helpful. I don't know if I would order them again.

Drag the surround view button to the bottom quick access bar. I really only need it when parking.

Yea, the passenger mirror is useless..

D

Deleted member 80

Drag the surround view button to the bottom quick access bar. I really only need it when parking.

Yea, the passenger mirror is useless..
I did drag it down, but after it times out you have to start over.

Users who are viewing this thread