Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing and tires

EODMatt

Reaction score
I want to get some fuel or method 17/18” wheels and either 33 or 35” tires. My question is, how will this effect towing? Besides the ratio slightly changing. What should I look for to ensure that I can still tow a fifth wheel with bigger wheels and or tires? Any particular rating/features on tire or wheels I should look for? I don’t want to compromise towing ability for better aesthetics necessarily. Perhaps something can inform me about what to pay attention to in this arena that I can bet the best of both worlds (aesthetics and towing).

Marshfly

Reaction score
The stock 20" tires are almost 34" tall. Moving to a 35" tire in the sizes of 285/75r18, 295/70r18, or 305/70r18 will have almost no difference on your ability to tow. 33s are too small for this truck.

Do not go with 35x12.50 tires. They do not have enough load rating for these trucks.

Also, make sure that your new wheels have more than the stock axle capacity of 3500# each. Methods do. an offset of +18 or +20 is the best to ensure best tire clearance and a good look.

Users who are viewing this thread