Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing a 5th Wheel with a lifted truck?

gwarrior4u

Reaction score
Hello. I just bought a (new to me) 2019 RAM 2500 that I'm going to tow a 12K# 5th wheel with. Something I should have noticed when I bought is that it appears to be lifted (maybe 4"). As far as I can tell the lift seems to be of good quality, it has Fox shocks so the whole thing may of come from them. Anyway, should there be any issues with towing a 5er trailer? It has the air leveling on the back, we towed a bumper pull trailer with it and that seemed to be ok, but the 5er is 5K# more lbs. Thoughts? TIA

Jacob

Reaction score
I have a stock height 2019 2500. It seems to be at the max height for clearing the bedrails. Really I think the trailer could be a few inches taller to ride more level.

Jacob

Reaction score
You probably can't tell, but the camper isn't level, it's high in the front. I think the hitch should be dropped some to level it. But then I would lose my barely adequate bed rail clearance. If that makes sense. It rides fine so I'm just living with it. I think your trailer would be really out of level. My cargo rack seems to hit the ground a lot pulling out of parking lots, etc.

Nick

Reaction score
Make sure you have about 6 inch of rail clearance .

gwarrior4u

Reaction score
Actually I just went and crawled under the truck and it appears the lift is more likely a leveling kit that just affects the front. The back is air ride and it looks stock (and I'm not sure you could change the height of that anyway). Still worried the truck will ride nose up with the 5er attached.

Last edited:

hognuts1960

Reaction score
Actually I just went and crawled under the truck and it appears the lift is more likely a leveling kit that just affects the front. The back is air ride and it looks stock (and I'm not sure you could change the height of that anyway). Still worried the truck will ride nose up with the 5er attached.
You especially don't want the trailer nose high. It forces more weight on the rear axle set.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Pull the leveling kit out…. You want the trailer level is its not you can usually have the axles put under the springs on older trailers to lift the trailer 5” ish and then you can get you 6” bed rail clearance

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Pull the leveling kit out…. You want the trailer level is its not you can usually have the axles put under the springs on older trailers to lift the trailer 5” ish and then you can get you 6” bed rail clearance
The leveling kit isn't affecting the rear....

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I have leveled all my trucks and ran 35's since 2011. As long as you can get the trailer level your fine.

Just hook up and measure from bed rail to bottom of 5iver towards rear of bed and another point towards the front. As long as they match close enough you'll be a ok. I've always had enough adjustment to make it work and still keep my bed rail clearance.

My new faith wheel is taller for the new trucks. My hitch is at the mid point

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The leveling kit isn't affecting the rear....
Never said it did….. leveling kits are terrible on tow vehicles all you are doing is blinding oncoming traffic when loaded up thats why i say pull it… personally when i pift a truck i prefer to keep at least a 3” rake as i am often loaded

Firebird

Reaction score
Never said it did….. leveling kits are terrible on tow vehicles all you are doing is blinding oncoming traffic when loaded up thats why i say pull it… personally when i pift a truck i prefer to keep at least a 3” rake as i am often loaded
I see so many leveled trucks towing down the road nose up these days, that just doesn’t look like a good way to tow to me.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I see so many leveled trucks towing down the road nose up these days, that just doesn’t look like a good way to tow to me.
I had a leveling kit in my 05 after a few trips with the trailer i threw out the leveling kit i hated the way it felt and drove loaded…

gwarrior4u

Reaction score
Can you buy the OEM springs at a dealer? (Is there a cheaper place? maybe a junk yard?). It's a 2019 (which I assume is still 5th gen in a 2500?), does that mean no parts from an earlier unit?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Can you buy the OEM springs at a dealer? (Is there a cheaper place? maybe a junk yard?). It's a 2019 (which I assume is still 5th gen in a 2500?), does that mean no parts from an earlier unit?
Its not a 5th gen and no parts from 18 will fit to my knowledge, is it springs or just a spacer for the leveling kit….. you should include pictures so we can help better….

gwarrior4u

Reaction score
Here's a pic. Is this a spacer that can be removed? Do I need a replacement piece to go between the spring and the frame?IMG_0877.jpeg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I would prefer Bilstein shocks anyway if I don't go back to stock.
Here's a pic. Is this a spacer that can be removed? Do I need a replacement piece to go between the spring and the frame?View attachment 24399
Yes thats just a spacer, just need to remove it and the spring and rubber isolator are all that needs to stay, the isolator has a rubber locating nub that goes in to the coil bucket on the frame… even if the shock is an extended shock it will still work for now

Users who are viewing this thread