Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Covers

Chriuus

Reaction score
I installed the switchblade retracting cover last night and like it so far.

savaytse66

Reaction score
My 2500 with RamBoxes is arriving any day now, so I need to order a cover soon. I am heavily leaning toward the Retrax Powertrax Pro MX. Does anyone know if this cover can be hooked up to and operated by the auxiliary switches in the truck? I know it comes with the wireless key fob, but I can think of plenty of situations where I will have the fob in my pocket, nowhere near the truck, and my wife will need to operate the cover.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
that is a nice looking cover....one that i really wanted to get ...but since i have ram boxes and want a rack over my bed cover i, unfortunately, had to pass. man, that looks great though....congrats on the new cover and truck!

Nightrain

Reaction score
Just installed a Retrax Pro MX on my Ram 3500 mega cab with Ramboxes. Love the cover so far. Easy to install, just took my time. Ramboxes are not obstructed in any way when opening. View attachment 903View attachment 904View attachment 905View attachment 906View attachment 907
I have the same cover on my 2500, do you get water leaks in the corner of the tailgate? With the rambox there is a small opening at the corner by the tailgate and I get small amount of leaking. Have not found a way fix it.

arwright

Reaction score
I have the same cover on my 2500, do you get water leaks in the corner of the tailgate? With the rambox there is a small opening at the corner by the tailgate and I get small amount of leaking. Have not found a way fix it.

I do have the same gap near the cab of mine and when I go through the car wash I do also get some small leaking. It hasn't bothered me yet, overall I love the cover and the cover doesn't interfere with the Ramboxes. I would still highly recommend the Retrax Pro MX.

Morgan

Reaction score
Mine is exactly the same. A little leakage but overall excellent!

Nightrain

Reaction score
I also love the Retrax and a little water does not bother me. Very happy with the purchase.

TexMarQue

Reaction score
Maxsteel - since you've personally installed the Retrax, do you see any reason this could not be installed against a cross rail toolbox. I'm not worried about sealing out water, so the gap created between the toolbox and the bed, and between the toolbox and the cover aren't a concern. I'm wondering if it could be physically installed and secured, knowing I would never deploy the full length of the cover since I've basically shortened my bed by 19-20 inches. Thanks!

MarthAWD

Reaction score
Anyone using Access Lorado https://tonneaucovershub.com/access-lorado-review/ ?
I love the cover and it works great but the six clamps keep loosening up every few weeks. I tried different positions and torques but it keeps happening. Recently it happened during a thunderstorm which absolutely ruined my day to move items dry.

hotdog1922

Reaction score

Marshfly

Reaction score
After a weekend with the Sentry CT, I have to say that I like it. It's pretty easy to use, but, it does have to be open to close the tailgate. It rained a bit this weekend and seems like everything stayed dry in there. I am someone who looks at it as a failure if I see one drop of water, so, I'll just say that it was dry enough for me. Had things in it while drive through the rain, got back to the RV and pulled them out, they were dry. I didn't inspect every inch of the bed to make sure NO water got in, but, I didn't see any either.

I doubt that a hard roll up would be best in the ice/snow, so, maybe not ideal for those of you that have cold weather, but, so far so good for me. One thing that all of these covers likely have in common... it gets HOT in our Florida weather. Like hot to the touch to operate it. I remember when I had the original bakflip, it was the same really. Not a complaint, just part of the black cover.

Can you measure how far into the bed the side rails go when the cover is rolled up? I have a fifth wheel and want this cover but need to make sure that the pinbox won't hit it.

brucie

Reaction score
I got a Diamondback SE in polished aluminum. This is the second Diamondback I have owned. The first one went on two Tundras between 2012 and September of this year. I also got a half headache rack plus 4 extra cleats. The cover has its pluses and minuses, but I wouldn't have anything else. It provides a cargo surface that most other covers don't provide. I always strap on a portable gas grill on top of it, when we take our travel trailer on longer trips. The SE supports 400 pounds but their stronger one supports two ATVs. It also turns your truck into 5 foot high scaffolding which is handy in some campgrounds when I want to clean our slideout roof, before pulling it in. I also use it to trim trees in our driveway. The most important aspect of the cover is its security. While you could certainly break into it, your insurance company would probably be buying you a new bed for your truck were someone to break into it. Sometimes, I have lots of expensive camera equipment inside.

The downsides are it may not be perfectly dry inside. I keep my cameras in water resistant gear and everything else except my toolbox in plastic tubs. The toolbox is cheap enough to replace should it rust away, which my prior one didn't. I haven't seen any water with my latest cover. Maybe they have improved it. It is also expensive. The rack plus the cover were $1600. Add a few hundred for black Linex if you want and a few hundred more to upgrade to the HD ultra strong cover.
Sorry this security camera shot is all I have for photos right now. Go to their web site for more info at diamondbackcovers.com I think. I don't have the Ramboxes but they do have a configuration for them. Driveway RAM.jpg

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
I got a Diamondback SE in polished aluminum. This is the second Diamondback I have owned......

that's a nice write up on the Diamondback. i really appreciate hearing from real world experiences like that....especially considering i got one myself now. just came in today. i have an HD cover that works with the Ram boxes, so 'ill pass on my thoughts with some pics as soon as i install it.

btw, the cover looks great on your truck!

2019RAM_post3.jpg

brucie

Reaction score
that's a nice write up on the Diamondback. i really appreciate hearing from real world experiences like that....especially considering i got one myself now. just came in today. i have an HD cover that works with the Ram boxes, so 'ill pass on my thoughts with some pics as soon as i install it.

btw, the cover looks great on your truck!

View attachment 1787

Thanks. That pallet is something else. I cut mine up into kindling for campfires. It was a pain taking out the staples. Enjoy the install!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyS

Reaction score
No chance of 5th wheel/Gooseneck towing with the Diamondback is there?

AndyS

Reaction score
one of the best things about the Diamondback is that it comes off pretty easily.
Do tell. I am very interested in the Diamondback but was worried about the ability to tow Gooseneck.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
Do tell. I am very interested in the Diamondback but was worried about the ability to tow Gooseneck.

the cover is essentially two opening lids on either end of your bed, with a cross member that they both hinge to that lay across the center of that bed. that cross member is fastened to the edges of either side of your bed by two c clamps on both sides. when you want to remove the bed off your truck you can simply take off the C clamps and pull the cover of your bed. one person can do this by themselves.

there are a number of youtube videos showing this in action if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread