Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Covers

arwright

Reaction score
Hey All! I have a 2019 3500 Mega Cab 6’4” bed with Ramboxes on order right now. Looking for a good bed cover. I’m leaning toward the RetraxPRO MX (link below). Anyone have this cover that can provide any reviews?

If someone with Ramboxes can advise which type of bed cover they use and like that would be great too!

savaytse66

Reaction score
I'll be watching this thread for sure. On my Sierra 1500 with a 6'-4" bed, I've used an Extang tri-fold, which I have mostly really liked. It's a hard cover, mostly water resistant, accessible from the front and back, and locks at both ends. The only thing I do not like about it (other than the fact it looks like it got pelted by hail, but in reality, a dumb user pounded it with his ice scraper...) is that fully open, I still lose the front 18" or so of the bed for tall things. It has been a minimal nuisance, but still annoys me once in a while. On my old Silverado, I had a roll up and button cover that I hated to the point of taking it off and throwing it away.

But I am also about to order a Mega with 6'-4" bed and Ram Boxes, so I will be ordering a cover as well.

orlando bull

Reaction score
After a weekend with the Sentry CT, I have to say that I like it. It's pretty easy to use, but, it does have to be open to close the tailgate. It rained a bit this weekend and seems like everything stayed dry in there. I am someone who looks at it as a failure if I see one drop of water, so, I'll just say that it was dry enough for me. Had things in it while drive through the rain, got back to the RV and pulled them out, they were dry. I didn't inspect every inch of the bed to make sure NO water got in, but, I didn't see any either.

I doubt that a hard roll up would be best in the ice/snow, so, maybe not ideal for those of you that have cold weather, but, so far so good for me. One thing that all of these covers likely have in common... it gets HOT in our Florida weather. Like hot to the touch to operate it. I remember when I had the original bakflip, it was the same really. Not a complaint, just part of the black cover.

redwinelvr

Reaction score
So once you close the tailgate it is still secure? I thought I saw a video of it fully closed before they closed the tailgate. So I just realized, if the tailgate is what secures it and you have to open the tailgate to reach the "pull latch", could you not reach that latch with a clothes hanger with the tailgate closed? I have to go watch that video again, but all of a sudden that doesn't seem so secure?

orlando bull

Reaction score
So once you close the tailgate it is still secure? I thought I saw a video of it fully closed before they closed the tailgate. So I just realized, if the tailgate is what secures it and you have to open the tailgate to reach the "pull latch", could you not reach that latch with a clothes hanger with the tailgate closed? I have to go watch that video again, but all of a sudden that doesn't seem so secure?

I think all of these covers operate the same way basically. The cable on this one seems a little more protected, but, yes, a coat hanger could get in there is a criminal happens to walk by with a coat hanger and is kind enough to not want to wreck my truck/cover. A crow bar would get you in a lot quicker, so, I figure if someone wants to get in, they will. Generally, the tailgate has to be open for a normal person to open, and, with the tailgate locked, alternative methods would be needed for a thief to get in there.

Morgan

Reaction score
Did you get your truck yet and did you pick up a RetraxPRO MX? I also have ordered a 2500 with Rambox and want to make sure it fits and do you like it?

arwright

Reaction score
Did you get your truck yet and did you pick up a RetraxPRO MX? I also have ordered a 2500 with Rambox and want to make sure it fits and do you like it?

I have not received my truck yet, it is in "I" status, but just two days ago I ordered the RetraxPRO MX because Amazon had a 10% off coupon w/ free delivery. I have seen a few in person and watched many videos and I think I will be very happy with it. Worse case scenario Amazon has been solid with its return policies in the past. I hope and don't think I will be disappointed though.

As far as fit, I was assured by the Retrax online support they gave me the correct part number, stating the part number which says it fits the 2018's with 6'4" bed and Rambox will also fit the 2019. Fingers crossed...

Morgan

Reaction score
Ok, Mine is in JB status. Well keep me posted I will be interested in hearing your experience with the cover and your new truck.

bobohio

Reaction score
Same here!! My 2018 MX4 fit perfect on my 2019 3500 without Rambox....dry as a bone....also installed the bedrug and bakbox...everything fits perfect, I installed myself and had to make no modifications...also installed Aries side steps which fit perfect with no drill!

Attachments

• bed liner.jpg
    bed liner.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 181
  • bakflip.jpg
    bakflip.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 187
  • all cleaned up.jpg
    all cleaned up.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 178

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Same here!! My 2018 MX4 fit perfect on my 2019 3500 without Rambox....dry as a bone....also installed the bedrug and bakbox...everything fits perfect, I installed myself and had to make no modifications...also installed Aries side steps which fit perfect with no drill!

That the 2018 Bedrug? When I emailed Bedrug, they said it would not fit...

Heckyl

Reaction score
Revolver X4 on 2019 with ramboxs. Had linex install it. I went to linex to buy their stealth hard folding cover, but they recommended the revolver X4.... not sure why because I wanted the stealth with life time warranty. They install and service all of them, so I went with what he recommended but the hard folding might have been fine.83C07BB2-4C8F-4D11-8965-D13913C9C6B5.jpeg22BB7BED-0E14-4E59-A8DB-49DA8CFFB93E.jpeg6DF5C59A-2DB8-4EEE-86B9-423D8731218C.jpeg

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

Perfect... given all the other discussions I was surprised when they said it would not...

HomelessBound

Reaction score
Ordering a 3500 with 6'4" ram box bed. I've only ever had caps before.

How do the BakFlip MX4/Revolver X4/other folders compare to the build to order "CS7 - Soft Trifold" and the Mopar accessories?

Concerned about:
  1. longevity - truck will be outside most of the time
  2. weather/dust proofing - it's going to snow
  3. security - while a crowbar will defeat just about anything, not looking like something that can be simply cut with a knife is probably a deterrent
  4. ease of use - need to be able to open/close tailgate without having to open tonneau. Bonus if tonneau can open/close independently too. Also wife isn't the tallest so there's that to0

If I can order something with my truck, that'd be good - but if there is something truly better out there then I am all ears. Thanks.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
1. Don't know

2. My guess is they will leak some. I've owned the factory tri fold and do not remember it leaking too much. I normally just buy an after market roll up as they are easier to live with and do not seem to leak any more than the factory tri fold.

3. My factory tri fold could be accessed with a knife with not much more effort than the roll ups. I think unlesd you get some kind of hard cover, most of these only keep honest people honest. A thief will be inside one very quickley.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
..................but if there is something truly better out there then I am all ears. Thanks.

have you looked at the Diamondback bed covers?

i like the heavy-duty nature of the product and the dual purpose of a loadable flat surface.

most importantly, they work with ramboxes, too.

Chriuus

Reaction score
Ordering a 3500 with 6'4" ram box bed. I've only ever had caps before.

How do the BakFlip MX4/Revolver X4/other folders compare to the build to order "CS7 - Soft Trifold" and the Mopar accessories?

Concerned about:
  1. longevity - truck will be outside most of the time
  2. weather/dust proofing - it's going to snow
  3. security - while a crowbar will defeat just about anything, not looking like something that can be simply cut with a knife is probably a deterrent
  4. ease of use - need to be able to open/close tailgate without having to open tonneau. Bonus if tonneau can open/close independently too. Also wife isn't the tallest so there's that to0

If I can order something with my truck, that'd be good - but if there is something truly better out there then I am all ears. Thanks.
I was looking at the x4 but then I read about people having issues with them sealing and leaking on the edge. There were some reviews that said the vinyl top only made it through 2 or 3 winters. Also curious to know others opinions on it. It seems nice because it doesn't take up any bed space for if you want to install a transfer tank.

archer75

Reaction score
I had an extang solid fold on my previous truck and it was great. For my current truck I wanted to get another but it's hard to drop close to a grand on these things.
Ebay! Turns out these covers are made and sent to the same town in california. From there different companies slap their sticker on them and sell them. So I got the same exact thing as extang, tri-fold sold tonneau, for in the $300 range. A third of what extang wanted.

maxsteel

Reaction score
I’ve had the previous two versions of the Revolver cover on my previous two trucks, and while I really liked it, there are several reasons I went with a Retrax Pro MX on my new truck rather than a Revolver X4. It’s true that the Revolver will degrade over a few seasons. My badging came off. The vinyl started to fade. The rubber on the side started to lift up especially near the tailgate. Sometimes it wouldn’t quite latch properly and one side would pop open. The fabric on the underside that is meant to keep your hands safe while rolling up is held on with cheap glue and will fall off. If you like riding with your windows open, the slats are LOUD. The cover does not work well at all in the winter (though the Retrax probably has the same problem).

I just barely installed the Retrax, but my initial impression is that there is no comparison in build quality of the two. But...that’s expected since the Retrax is almost twice the price.

If cost were the deciding factor, and you can live with some fit-and-finish deterioration, the Revolver is a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread