Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau bed cover

Gkockrow

Reaction score
Anyone have a Roll and Lock bed cover. Dave Smith Ram in Idaho pushes them in their parts dept for new Rams. Any other brands you like? Thanks

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Titan truck in Spokane has a bunch of different styles on display. If you're in the area? I bought the low budget Truxedo Pro X15 from them. I like it but really wanted something a lil more robust. Time was a constraint and they had the x15 in stock so...

skipath

Reaction score
I just put a Retrax Pro MX on mine and am very happy with it - very high quality, straightforward installation, easy to use, locks in any open position. Can't compare it to the Roll n Lock, but I had a Peragon on my F-150 and this is much, much better.

WY3500

Reaction score
I have the Roll n' Lock M Series on 2019 3500 with Ramboxes and like it. Better than the fold-up cover that came on a used truck I bought and better than a Gator that replaced the fold-up.

The Roll n' Lock box is smaller and takes up a little less space. I thought the pull strap might be annoying but I mounted a loop so it is clipped high enough to easily reach with the tailgate up and I can flip the strap over the side of the bed enough to keep it out of the way without unclipping it most of the time.

The one trade-off is that the Gator could be locked in any position. Losing that has been mildly annoying on a couple of occasions. There is a video on YouTube showing how to add stop points. That would be useful if you want to add a stop point because of a fifth wheel hitch or something you haul regularly.

scramblyn

Reaction score
Do any of these options work with the factory rail / tie down hooks? Thanks.

Benitslu

Reaction score
Anyone have a Roll and Lock bed cover. Dave Smith Ram in Idaho pushes them in their parts dept for new Rams. Any other brands you like? Thanks

Have one on my current truck. Really like it and it’s about 6 years old with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Retrax all the way! Stop anywhere, extremely robust and even mounting options with the universal T-slot for future proofing your truck.

WY3500

Reaction score
Do any of these options work with the factory rail / tie down hooks? Thanks.
I was able to modify the rails so I could remount them. I cut the rail off so it was a little short of the box and mounted it using four T-nuts. First photo shows where I added a loop so the end of the strap was easier to reach. By the way, my truck didn't have the adjustable tie-down hooks when I bought it used. I added tie-down hooks from a Tundra. They are a perfect fit.

Attachments

• Strap clip.jpg
    Strap clip.jpg
    714.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Rail.jpg
    Rail.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Rail2.jpg
    Rail2.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 43

HookenNooks

Reaction score

Odd that, that is your experience. I picked up my RAM 3500 CBLB from Dave Smith back in April. Guy named Noah in accessories sold me on the Truxedo LoPro.

Have to say, I love it. Rolls up to where I have 99% bed access and just looks slick with how lo profile it is.

I wouldn’t go another direction in the future based on all the ones I see on other trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scramblyn

Reaction score
I was able to modify the rails so I could remount them. I cut the rail off so it was a little short of the box and mounted it using four T-nuts. First photo shows where I added a loop so the end of the strap was easier to reach. By the way, my truck didn't have the adjustable tie-down hooks when I bought it used. I added tie-down hooks from a Tundra. They are a perfect fit.
That's great info. Thank you. And also helpful to know I can get spare tie-downs from a Tundra!

Myfast70

Reaction score
I ended up with the BAK Revolver X4S and I am pretty impressed with the fit and the quality of it. It went together rather easily, seems pretty stout and still allows the use of the rails and tie down anchors that came with the Rambox. Here's a couple pics that I snapped. I really like the way the rails for the cover slide into the factory Rambox rails. Install tip for those that end up with this model, mark the washers then loosen the rear 2-3 bolts a bit to allow more room for the seal to slide in.

Attachments

• 20211207_131056.jpg
    20211207_131056.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20211207_131031.jpg
    20211207_131031.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 89

scramblyn

Reaction score
I ended up with the BAK Revolver X4S and I am pretty impressed with the fit and the quality of it. It went together rather easily, seems pretty stout and still allows the use of the rails and tie down anchors that came with the Rambox. Here's a couple pics that I snapped. I really like the way the rails for the cover slide into the factory Rambox rails. Install tip for those that end up with this model, mark the washers then loosen the rear 2-3 bolts a bit to allow more room for the seal to slide in.
That looks fantastic! It looks like the perfect setup with the factory rails still in there.

dm6

Reaction score
If anyone needs a tonneau (or other accessories), check out realtruck.com. Send an email to Alex.Pendleton@realtruck.com and tell him you heard about him from the forums and he will give you a good discount. In addition, there are some mail in rebates for Truxedo right now. I bought a few things there and saved at least 20%.

2500ltd

Reaction score
I just put a Retrax Pro MX on mine and am very happy with it - very high quality, straightforward installation, easy to use, locks in any open position. Can't compare it to the Roll n Lock, but I had a Peragon on my F-150 and this is much, much better.
What model RAM do you have? I want to get a Retrax Pro MX too but the Retrax website says it’s incompatible with my new body style 2021 2500 limited. But then, etrailer.com says certain models (like RetraxOne) would fit on my truck. Confused. Any insights appreciated.

Gkockrow

Reaction score
What model RAM do you have? I want to get a Retrax Pro MX too but the Retrax website says it’s incompatible with my new body style 2021 2500 limited. But then, etrailer.com says certain models (like RetraxOne) would fit on my truck. Confused. Any insights appreciated.

Gkockrow

Reaction score
Laramie 3500 6’4 bed. Had retrax on my 2017 but had Dave Smith install Roll and Lock on new 2022. I like it better. Easy to slide. Got upgrade model for $1900 installed. Little less money than retracts. We will see. It stays open most of time due to fifth wheel towing. They say base model gets lines on top if left open. Save 500 bucks if closed most of time and get base model.

2500ltd

Reaction score
Laramie 3500 6’4 bed. Had retrax on my 2017 but had Dave Smith install Roll and Lock on new 2022. I like it better. Easy to slide. Got upgrade model for $1900 installed. Little less money than retracts. We will see. It stays open most of time due to fifth wheel towing. They say base model gets lines on top if left open. Save 500 bucks if closed most of time and get base model.
Thanks. That's helpful.

CforHD

Reaction score
Thanks @dm6 ! Can confirm RealTruck gives a good discount. I called, mentioned the forums and got about 20% off a BAKflip.

Reactions: dm6

CVDaddy

Reaction score
Did you get the straps to tighten in the rails? I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but the bolt bottoms out before it gets anywhere near tight. I'm also wondering if I have the wrong straps. The buckle end is wrong. I contacted Bak and they sent the correct ends, but maybe I have the wrong hardware at the other end too?

Attachments

• 20220105_144604.jpg
    20220105_144604.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220105_144720.jpg
    20220105_144720.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread