Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Ceramic...or not to Ceramic....

loansinpa

Reaction score
Actually, as I'm reading this, my truck sits at the detailers having the ceramic applied. It's a 3+ day job as they clean, paint correct, etc so that the surface they are applying to is as 'perfect' as it can get - free of scratches, etc. Last truck went with Ceramic Pro and was happy. Went there again, tried to anyway...but new management didn't seem as diligent in getting back to me so this time it's C.Quartz. My truck stays on the road most of the time but given how much easier it made the last one to clean, having the coating was really nice. We'll see if this one is really better. They go all out...wheels off...

IMG_0083_2.jpg

slvrsix7

Reaction score
I think ceramic carries alot of hype, but when done correctly can be valuable for certain people. I'm meteculous about my vehicles and constantly stay on top of them and never had issues with paint or keeping them clean. I also think it's hard to really get true feedback because once someone spends that kind of money for something like that, regardless of the performance it's going to make the world of difference. Never needed it before it was all the hype l, and unless automotive finishes have changed still don't need it. Just my opinion.

Dunn08

Reaction score
I wasn’t planning on doing ceramic coating, just paint protection film. Took it to Ceramic Pro to get the whole front end, hood, front fenders, and rockers covered. They quoted just under 1k to ceramic coat the entire truck on top of the film, I initially said no. I have a DA machine and products to cut, polish, wax, and seal so I planned to just do that as required through the years. My wife talked me into it later in the day, so I called back and added it.

I have young kids and a busy life, with work, time isn’t on my side. Someone said it perfect earlier, you either have the time to do it or money to pay someone. I’m not rich by any means but my time is precious at this time in my life. For an initial cost of roughly 1k and yearly cost under $200 for touch up for 5 years, I’ll get to spend a lot more Saturdays and Sundays with my kids, rather than detailing my truck all day. A quick wash, and spray with griots ceramic detailer and it’s good to go. I feel good knowing my bright red paint has good UV protection from the scorching hot Vegas sun.

First vehicle I’ve went this route with. Only time will tell.

1651Naismith

Reaction score
I put ceramic coat on two of my vehicles this past summer (did it myself). Based on my experience over the last 6 months, everyone of my vehicles will get it from now on (easy to clean, beads and sheds water, easy to refresh, etc) That said, I’m not sure I will personally apply it until I get a better garage situation and can spread the work out in a more manageable way.

Each vehicle took 2.5 to 3 full days (12+ hours), with at least half of that spent on the prep work. My garage doesn’t fit my truck well and that made things more difficult (dust, family coming through, etc.). For me that meant starting Friday after work and put the last coat on Monday AM, basically killing a weekend with each vehicle. I didn’t mind the work - it was good garage time.

However, unless I have a garage setup where I can park it, close the door, and work on it a few hours per day, I will be taking it to a shop in town..

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
I put ceramic coat on two of my vehicles this past summer (did it myself). Based on my experience over the last 6 months, everyone of my vehicles will get it from now on (easy to clean, beads and sheds water, easy to refresh, etc) That said, I’m not sure I will personally apply it until I get a better garage situation and can spread the work out in a more manageable way.

Each vehicle took 2.5 to 3 full days (12+ hours), with at least half of that spent on the prep work. My garage doesn’t fit my truck well and that made things more difficult (dust, family coming through, etc.). For me that meant starting Friday after work and put the last coat on Monday AM, basically killing a weekend with each vehicle. I didn’t mind the work - it was good garage time.

However, unless I have a garage setup where I can park it, close the door, and work on it a few hours per day, I will be taking it to a shop in town..
Have you found a good shop? I live in Larkspur Co. and will get my truck sometime in January and the first stop is tint, clear bra and ceramic coating.

1651Naismith

Reaction score
Have you found a good shop? I live in Larkspur Co. and will get my truck sometime in January and the first stop is tint, clear bra and ceramic coating.
I used Springs Detailing in CO Springs (https://springsdetailing.com) for the Xpel and tint and have been pleased with their work. I would start there if I was going to have someone else apply the ceramic. I got some quotes from others in town, but the price was a bit better and I got a higher degree of confidence after talking with the owner (OJ).

The key items to understand from a shop on ceramic coating are: (1) what is their prep process, (2) which ceramic are they using, and (3) how many coats. On #1, make sure you aren't comparing a quote that has limited prep (wash and clay) with one that is doing full paint correction -- apples vs. oranges as the prep process is labor intensive ($$). When I did my truck, I was actually very pleased with the paint quality straight from the factory and only did a single step, light buff before applying the ceramic.

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
I used Springs Detailing in CO Springs (https://springsdetailing.com) for the Xpel and tint and have been pleased with their work. I would start there if I was going to have someone else apply the ceramic. I got some quotes from others in town, but the price was a bit better and I got a higher degree of confidence after talking with the owner (OJ).

The key items to understand from a shop on ceramic coating are: (1) what is their prep process, (2) which ceramic are they using, and (3) how many coats. On #1, make sure you aren't comparing a quote that has limited prep (wash and clay) with one that is doing full paint correction -- apples vs. oranges as the prep process is labor intensive ($$). When I did my truck, I was actually very pleased with the paint quality straight from the factory and only did a single step, light buff before applying the ceramic.
Wow! Awesome answer and advice! Exactly what I needed. Thanks! I’m on it!

dgstandard

Reaction score
I paid for a 8 or 9 year ceramic coat product to be applied professionally when i got my truck...paid approx. $1,800. Yes, it looked great, easy to wash etc. I was thrilled, the guy seemed great, super knowledgeable and enthusiastic etc. Months later, i went out on a trip into the bush for a week and came back with some "redneck pinstripes", nothing too bad or deep but noticeable. Took it to the detailer and "oh boy, that's $$$ to fix...need to take off ceramic coat, buff out, and reapply etc." I declined but was reminded that i still need to come in twice a year for inspection in order to not void the warranty which turns out to be a $300 wash job each time. Looking back, I wished i stuck with a good wax to apply a couple times a year. If my truck was never to go off road i would pick ceramic coat everytime. In my case, it seems to add expense and complication. YMMV.

Last edited:

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
I keep getting different advice but my buddy that owns a very good body shop and has been in that business his entire life since his dad owned it may have enlightened me. Maybe someone on this thread can help.
He suggested that maybe it’s a waste for me to do the ceramic coating unless I keep the new truck for longer then 3-5 years.. He did say it’s good stuff. He did say I should do the 3m or Xpel clear bra along the rockers of my truck to protect from road grime and rock chips.
He made sense. I know it works and protects the paint and looks great and makes future washes easier but I just am finishing building an express tunnel wash so I will be getting my truck washed once a week. I’m inclined to agree with him and save the $1500.

1651Naismith

Reaction score
I keep getting different advice but my buddy that owns a very good body shop and has been in that business his entire life since his dad owned it may have enlightened me. Maybe someone on this thread can help.
He suggested that maybe it’s a waste for me to do the ceramic coating unless I keep the new truck for longer then 3-5 years.. He did say it’s good stuff. He did say I should do the 3m or Xpel clear bra along the rockers of my truck to protect from road grime and rock chips.
He made sense. I know it works and protects the paint and looks great and makes future washes easier but I just am finishing building an express tunnel wash so I will be getting my truck washed once a week. I’m inclined to agree with him and save the $1500.
IMO, I would do the PPF regardless of whether or not you have a ceramic coat put on. That will provide more protection from chips than any coating. I did the front bumper, first 24” of the hood, A pillar, headlights and fogs, and rockers (Full length, including behind rear tires). Basically, I covered all the areas that were chipped and rusting on my 2008

The ceramic is more of a personal choice along with how you use, store, and clean your truck (or not). Mine is parked outside and I appreciate how it sheds dust and rain/snow with the ceramic (amazing water beads that roll off). It also seems to clean up easier after weekends off road. You have to decide how much value those kinds of benefits have for you against the $$$. Nothing wrong with skipping any coating or wax, banking the cash and running it through the wash every week If that is what works for you.

Keep in mind, you can add a wax or ceramic at any time. It’s just easier / cheaper with new paint. I was quite shocked how swirled the paint was on my 2016 Hellcat garage queen that was carefully detailed and waxed on a regular basis when I did the ceramic coat this summer. That’s why I put ceramic on my truck a week or two after delivery - I didn’t want to spend a whole weekend buffing out scratches and swirls at some point in the future.

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
IMO, I would do the PPF regardless of whether or not you have a ceramic coat put on. That will provide more protection from chips than any coating. I did the front bumper, first 24” of the hood, A pillar, headlights and fogs, and rockers (Full length, including behind rear tires). Basically, I covered all the areas that were chipped and rusting on my 2008

The ceramic is more of a personal choice along with how you use, store, and clean your truck (or not). Mine is parked outside and I appreciate how it sheds dust and rain/snow with the ceramic (amazing water beads that roll off). It also seems to clean up easier after weekends off road. You have to decide how much value those kinds of benefits have for you against the $$$. Nothing wrong with skipping any coating or wax, banking the cash and running it through the wash every week If that is what works for you.

Keep in mind, you can add a wax or ceramic at any time. It’s just easier / cheaper with new paint. I was quite shocked how swirled the paint was on my 2016 Hellcat garage queen that was carefully detailed and waxed on a regular basis when I did the ceramic coat this summer. That’s why I put ceramic on my truck a week or two after delivery - I didn’t want to spend a whole weekend buffing out scratches and swirls at some point in the future.
Yeah I’m definitely doing the PPF. Just still on the fence about the coating. Probably do the coating on my Beemer instead. Maybe I’ll do the truck one day but I really think I’m gonna trade it in a few years then I’ll do that one.

~~Mutt~~

Reaction score
That is the question.

I hope to take delivery of my new truck soon(ish). I understand that the finance department will try to up-sell me on a few revenue-generators. And I know that some of those are more worthy than others.

My truck earns its keep every day. It wont fit in my garage. It wont sit in a parking lot. At the same time, I care too much to "Send it" through a oil fields or go rock climbing in it.

Lots of highway time...baking in the sun....dust...dirt....redneck pin-stripes....every day is an adventure.

I think that ceramic might be the right thing to do....but Im far from certain.

IF I do decide to do it, does it make sense to do it from the dealership or take it to a local detailer once I get it home?

I dont know what the dealerships are charging for Ceramic.

Local detailers are quoting a range from $1200 for "2 years of protection" to $2200 for "5 years of protection".

Thoughts? Advice? Constructive input?

THX

Happy trails, all.

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
Although Im not decided yet I’ve been watching a lot of videos, staying at Holiday inns and spoke with several detail shops and coating shops.
I don’t believe just because it’s a dealer your getting a good job, actually sometime think it‘s the opposite. I would go detail shop. Making sure that where you go they keep their shop in the required range and allow proper cure times. They also do the paint correction and coat the trip and sometimes the wheels and inside. So the prep work is where the money is spent and earned.
Obviously it won’t protect against scratches and chips but birds crap, bugs and water it will although with hard water you will still get those calcium deposited if you let it evaporate but apparently they don’t permanently etch the paint but I wouldn’t be taking a chance, I’d dry them out.
I don’t think I’ll do my truck as I’m planning on having it only a few years or so but I will my next one and I’ll do my BMW.
Also I’m gonna do the graphene coating.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
OK Folks! Turtle Wax can't (or refuses) to answer my question. Maybe the fine folks here on the Forum can help me understand why my Product acts this way.

I've applied 3 coats of Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Coating in the Green Bottle to my new 2022 RAM Truck. The shine is Awesome! Yes! Followed the directions waiting 24 hours for the first coat to cure before applying the 2nd coat. The third coat was done a couple months later as a touch up to prepare my truck for the hot summer months.

There has never been another product applied to this truck as it's only 3 months old. Yes I did the Paint Prep using a Turtle Wax Bran Polish.

This past weekend we had a nice downpour and my truck wasn't in the garage because I was visiting friends. The rain beaded up real nice telling me my truck was being protected from the elements.

While driving home at 55-60mph I noticed the beads were not grouping together and sheeting off the truck. They were holding steady. After 20 miles the beads were still on my truck when I arrived home.

Is this normal for this product??? I ask because I'm aware of the Hard Water Spots that can be left behind in areas like AZ once the suns evaporates the water spots left on a vehicle. Glad I don't live in a hard water area.

I've always used Old Fashion Turtle Wax Hard Shell and had awesome results, but it takes most of a day to apply and remove by hand so I was looking for something easier and a better product with today's ceramic coatings.

As I understand from the professional kids these days I must still apply a coat of wax in order for the beads to group and shed the water off the vehicle. I say kids because I'm 66 years old and have been detailing my own vehicles for over 50 years and Turtle Wax products have always been my go to protection.

All the U-Tube videos I've watched shows the Ceramic products sheet the water off the vehicle regardless of the chemicals used to wash the vehicle. I know the U-Tube videos are just revenue generators for the most part, but the sheeting action is always present.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone use a good quality easily applied wax that doesn't require buffing out or leaves traces of white dried wax in the nooks and crannies? By the Way! My truck is Black so I'm looking for something that complements a Black Paint.

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
The only caution I would make re: bed liner type coatings on exterior panels is that it's usually tough to clean them or keep them looking nice. A friend coating the front of his fifth wheels with Rhino and it looks like crap all the time.

At least with Vinyl, it's easy to pull and re-apply. Not so with the other product.
Like anything else. You gotta put a clear over it. Just doing the spray doesn’t work alone

mcspeed

Reaction score
Here’s some paint protection. Pretty sure this won’t remove with ease.
95d5be7cdf581369b4a8c11639e07716.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread