Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Ceramic...or not to Ceramic....

2500Ram

Reaction score
Sounds like we're all rich enough for these special packages. I should mention I am currently at 63 days from truck being built and in transit - it is still getting a good bake and not in my hands.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
After I applied a coat of TW Flex with Graphene over my 2 coats of TW Ceramic Spray I noticed the water sill beaded up, but now the water will sheet off the truck a little better. Still not happy with the total sheeting action provided by the new Turtle Wax products, but I do like the shine and ease of use. I'm able to wax the entire truck in about 2 hours with the spray on product vs. about 6 hours with the TW Hard Shell Paste.

DebH

Reaction score
Chemical Guys Hard Water Spot Remover worked for me and it's available at most Walmarts.
Thanks! I used several of the CG products on my prior truck but never tried the water spot remover.

DebH

Reaction score
Sounds like we're all rich enough for these special packages. I should mention I am currently at 63 days from truck being built and in transit - it is still getting a good bake and not in my hands.
And I thought mine was long at almost 30 dates sitting...hope it moves soon.

bwf1911

Reaction score
Hoping for a July delivery for my Limited 2500. I will definitely be using graphene/ceramic coating and I am hoping the results long term are as good as traditional waxes and the gloss is amazing. I like to detail myself and have been super impressed with Graphene from a local detail shop in Plano, TX. Takes about a day for a car taking my time, I am guessing at least two for the size of the truck.
Previously I used Meguires Waxes (great products) every six months on my 08, about 5 years ago purchased a Challenger 392 and I switched to Chemical Guys Jet Seal (also great product) for both truck and car as it seemed a better sealant than wax and lasted much longer ( a Year).

Been doing research on graphene/ceramic and found a local detail shop that had their own brand. Applied it to my step-daughters new Corrolla and was stunned at the results. He says I should get at least 18 months before having to reapply as long as I do maintenance washes (which I do every other week anyway). I will probably reapply yearly or sooner to keep the prep minimal and deepen the gloss. Additional benefit; it can be applied to glass, plastic, leather. So far works better than rainx on glass.
Steps are this:
Wash, Iron remover and tar remover, rinse, claybar, polish, wash, Graphene, wait 6 hrs do second coat of graphene. (reason why its several hundred dollars at detail shops )
Here is a photo of my 08 That I washed this morning to get photos to sell when the new truck arrives. I think it still looks pretty good after 14 years being parked outside in Texas sun and 135k miles. I did have the front bumper repainted once and hood replaced due to hail.

Attachments

• 08 Ram 1500.jpg
    08 Ram 1500.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 08 Ram 1500 2.jpg
    08 Ram 1500 2.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 08 Ram 1500 3.jpg
    08 Ram 1500 3.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 34

tyler2you

Reaction score
Did some light paint correction with my Griot's G9 and Meguiars D301 to get rid of a few light scratches and the baked on water spots that came with the truck, then applied one coat of CQuartz UK 3.0 Ceramic Coating. They recommend a 2nd coat, but based on how my back feels from all the buffing, one may have to do . . . I'm cheap, so I couldn't pay the going rate to have someone else do it. Pretty easy to do.

IMG_0120.jpg
IMG_0118.jpg

Ktm2smoker

Reaction score
I decided to try the Jay Leno products with my wife's Acura TLX. Last year I used their strip wash and then applied one coat of the ceramic Radiant product to the black pearl paint. A year later is still beads like nothing I've ever seen since I started waxing my first car with Mothers in 1979. I recently bought the Leno ceramic car wash to use also. I'm sure lots of products work, but I can vouch for the Leno products, everything I've tried has exceeded my expectations and the price is right. My silver billet Night Edition 3500 DRW was built yesterday. Now to wait for shipping.....and after a few months I'll be doing the same thing to my RAM. Ceramic application trumps waxing, so easy.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Did some light paint correction with my Griot's G9 and Meguiars D301 to get rid of a few light scratches and the baked on water spots that came with the truck, then applied one coat of CQuartz UK 3.0 Ceramic Coating. They recommend a 2nd coat, but based on how my back feels from all the buffing, one may have to do . . . I'm cheap, so I couldn't pay the going rate to have someone else do it. Pretty easy to do.

View attachment 38266
View attachment 38267
Looks Awesome! Like you I'm cheap...lol Ceramic coated mine back in Jan when I first got it. During the past few months after washing I've used a Spray & Wax product by Turtle Wax with pretty good results. Today I washed and dried the truck and applied Ceramic Turtle Wax paste with Graphene.

I've been a customer of Turtle Wax products since the 70's. I remember detailing Race Cars for the local Drag Strip. Over the years my go to auto wax was Turtle Wax Hard Shell. It's a hard wax to apply and even harder to remove. but well worth the effort and a finish so slick even a microfiber towel won't lay on the hood without sliding off.

After reading all the hype regarding the newer products with Ceramic and Graphene I decided to order the new Ceramic Paste Turtle Wax with Graphene. Today I washed and dried my 2022 RAM 2500 Big Horn and started applying the paste wax per the directions, one panel at a time, because I didn't want the wax to dry too fast and be almost impossible to remove. The directions say to let dry to a light haze. After about 20 minutes in 75 Degree sunny weather the wax had still not hazed over, but remained a light smeary substance.

I buffed out much of the smeary residue and then went back with another microfiber cloth about 30 minutes later to try and buff out the rest. Apparently this stuff actually never dries but does seem to leave a shiny film on the surface of the clear coat.

My opinion? This wax is not worth the cost of $30+ for a small container, nor is it easy to work with like the Hard Shell Product you can still purchase for $4.95 a container that is a little larger.

Do yourself a favor and save your money, because these new products don't last any longer than the old Caranuba Wax products.

tyler2you

Reaction score
The Graphene craze is getting a little out of hand IMO. Seems like everyone has figured out the marketing works and has a product with it whether or not it makes sense.

I do still like the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray. It's super easy to use and lasts a long time.
Looks Awesome! Like you I'm cheap...lol Ceramic coated mine back in Jan when I first got it. During the past few months after washing I've used a Spray & Wax product by Turtle Wax with pretty good results. Today I washed and dried the truck and applied Ceramic Turtle Wax paste with Graphene.

I've been a customer of Turtle Wax products since the 70's. I remember detailing Race Cars for the local Drag Strip. Over the years my go to auto wax was Turtle Wax Hard Shell. It's a hard wax to apply and even harder to remove. but well worth the effort and a finish so slick even a microfiber towel won't lay on the hood without sliding off.

After reading all the hype regarding the newer products with Ceramic and Graphene I decided to order the new Ceramic Paste Turtle Wax with Graphene. Today I washed and dried my 2022 RAM 2500 Big Horn and started applying the paste wax per the directions, one panel at a time, because I didn't want the wax to dry too fast and be almost impossible to remove. The directions say to let dry to a light haze. After about 20 minutes in 75 Degree sunny weather the wax had still not hazed over, but remained a light smeary substance.

I buffed out much of the smeary residue and then went back with another microfiber cloth about 30 minutes later to try and buff out the rest. Apparently this stuff actually never dries but does seem to leave a shiny film on the surface of the clear coat.

My opinion? This wax is not worth the cost of $30+ for a small container, nor is it easy to work with like the Hard Shell Product you can still purchase for $4.95 a container that is a little larger.

Do yourself a favor and save your money, because these new products don't last any longer than the old Caranuba Wax products.

G’Dave

Reaction score
The Graphene craze is getting a little out of hand IMO. Seems like everyone has figured out the marketing works and has a product with it whether or not it makes sense.

I do still like the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray. It's super easy to use and lasts a long time.

Is this it? Available at Walmart today for $12.95

Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 11.09.42 AM.png

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Is this it? Available at Walmart today for $12.95

View attachment 39007
I had pretty good luck with this product. I used it as a top coat ceramic sealer after polishing the paint. I applied two coats 24 hours apart per the directions. It causes water to bead like crazy, but it doesn't allow for the water to sheet off the vehicle even at 65 mph. I wouldn't use this product in an area that leaves hard water spots. Once the beads evaporate it leaves calcium and dirt behind. I thought the purpose of a Ceramic Coating was so the water would sheet off the vehicle taking the dirt with it. In my opinion nothing beats a good Turtle Wax Hard Shell coat at $4.95 per container at Walmart.

I attached a pic of the top of my truck after the water beads evaporated. Not a pretty site after spending 2 afternoons applying

Attachments

• IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 37

tyler2you

Reaction score
I had pretty good luck with this product. I used it as a top coat ceramic sealer after polishing the paint. I applied two coats 24 hours apart per the directions. It causes water to bead like crazy, but it doesn't allow for the water to sheet off the vehicle even at 65 mph. I wouldn't use this product in an area that leaves hard water spots. Once the beads evaporate it leaves calcium and dirt behind. I thought the purpose of a Ceramic Coating was so the water would sheet off the vehicle taking the dirt with it. In my opinion nothing beats a good Turtle Wax Hard Shell coat at $4.95 per container at Walmart.

I attached a pic of the top of my truck after the water beads evaporated. Not a pretty site after spending 2 afternoons applying

My experience is that pretty much any paint protection product whether it's ceramic coating, wax, polymer, etc. is going to cause water to bead. Wax still causes beading, but you're right that it probably sheds better than ceramic when you drive a wet truck at highway speeds. Ceramic coating creates the most distinct/separate beads, so if you're truck gets sprayed by sprinklers or you don't get it dried quickly after washing, you're more likely to get spots if you have hard water.

The only time I've had spotting from rain is when the vehicle was dusty or covered in pollen and it got hit with a very light rain then got sun baked. I'm not sure there's much to be done in that situation other than keeping a super clean truck or getting it washed quickly after it happens. I think rain water is pretty free of minerals and junk unless you live in an area with lots of air pollution.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
My experience is that pretty much any paint protection product whether it's ceramic coating, wax, polymer, etc. is going to cause water to bead. Wax still causes beading, but you're right that it probably sheds better than ceramic when you drive a wet truck at highway speeds. Ceramic coating creates the most distinct/separate beads, so if you're truck gets sprayed by sprinklers or you don't get it dried quickly after washing, you're more likely to get spots if you have hard water.

The only time I've had spotting from rain is when the vehicle was dusty or covered in pollen and it got hit with a very light rain then got sun baked. I'm not sure there's much to be done in that situation other than keeping a super clean truck or getting it washed quickly after it happens. I think rain water is pretty free of minerals and junk unless you live in an area with lots of air pollution.
I agree! The only pure water is rain water. Any water attached to Earth is polluted. Even our drinking water is polluted with man made chemicals. I like the old fashion wax beads as wax doesn't allow for water to stand on your vehicle.

Andersen24

Reaction score
Does anyone know the number of the guy MD uses for the ceramic coating? I just did my Tacoma (took three full days) and MAN - $700 is sounding REALLY good right now, warranty or not since I am out of state.

Grillfather

Reaction score
Does anyone know the number of the guy MD uses for the ceramic coating? I just did my Tacoma (took three full days) and MAN - $700 is sounding REALLY good right now, warranty or not since I am out of state.
The Detailer's Detail 337-794-3114. If anyone has used them and can provide a summary of what they do and what they thought of the work I would appreciate it. I will hopefully be getting my truck in August and am considering using them.

Andersen24

Reaction score
The Detailer's Detail 337-794-3114. If anyone has used them and can provide a summary of what they do and what they thought of the work I would appreciate it. I will hopefully be getting my truck in August and am considering using them.
AWeomse, thank you @Grillfather ! And yes I am curious to hear as well….

Reaction score
I have both my trucks coated and coated my dads 4th gen for fathers day. I used carpro cquartz 3.0 and carpro gliss as a top coat. I couldn't justify paying someone $1500 to do it when i could do it myself over a weekend. I will admit it is a pain to do and takes a lot of time, luckily i have a detailing background and the tools necessary to do it properly. I highly recommend getting it done, it is expensive but in the end it is a good investment. the self cleaning properties alone makes it worth it. i would recommend paying someone to do it if you do not have at least some kind of detailing background, if you are not paying attention while applying you can really mess up and be left with a "oil slick" on your paint. A good alternative to a ceramic coating would probably be Carpro Reload or carpro elixir... ( the picture of the ranger is for attention, it is a 2004 and looks amazing with the ceramics ) ceramic.jpgranger.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread