Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titan Tank on CC SB - Diesel

R.J.

Reaction score
Considering doing this tank. I had the 55 gallon Transfer Flow in the Super Duty and it was great (until the powder coating delaminated).

Opinion on how you like it? I did a search, but couldn't find any photos on the CC with SB. Does it fit very tight to the transfer case? Also, how much ground clearance did you lose?

Don-T

Reaction score
Great questions. I have the same ones about my on-order truck. Hopefully you will get some feedback.

ARR

Reaction score
I have the Titan tank on my truck and I really like having the extra capacity while towing.
It doesn't come anywhere near the transfer case because the DEF tank is in the way. It looks like it comes with in a 1/4" of the DEF tank.
I didn't measure before and after so I can't say how much ground clearance was lost. I can take some measurements the next time I'm parked on a flat surface if you like.
If you have any other questions just ask.

R.J.

Reaction score
Hey thanks.

Can you take a photo of the tank where it hangs down for comparison?

Will_T

Reaction score
I have questioned both Titan and S&B about the clearance. Titan says it hangs about 2" below the frame, S&B says about 1-1/2. Close enough so margin of error or difference in how they measured probably makes them about the same. Titan told me that they have never had someone damage one of the tanks because of low clearance. S&B said they replaced one under warranty that they felt was the fault of the owner and would have damaged even the OEM tank. So not sure how much of an issue the clearance is, especially for someone like me for who off road means washboard gravel at worst. I do know that having a 31 gallon OEM tank is a big issue when towing our RV through the open spaces of Nevada, Utah, etc. So even if it hangs down lower, I feel it is one of the first changes I will have to have done. Installation is a bigger concern to me than clearance. I want someone experienced removing and replacing fuel tanks so the OEM sending unit gets transferred to the new tank properly, there are no leaks, etc. It may not be that hard a job, but me not being a mechanic of any sort, the installation is what I am worried about.

Broccoli2

Reaction score
I have the Titan tank on my truck and I really like having the extra capacity while towing.
It doesn't come anywhere near the transfer case because the DEF tank is in the way. It looks like it comes with in a 1/4" of the DEF tank.
I didn't measure before and after so I can't say how much ground clearance was lost. I can take some measurements the next time I'm parked on a flat surface if you like.
If you have any other questions just ask.
I order the Titan tank last week. What has been your experience with the fuel gage and DTE. Did you have the dealer change it to the 50 gal or the alfa to 194 liters? Seams like people have had some problems either way.

ARR

Reaction score
I used Alpha to change the fuel tank capacity to 194 Liters. I had no problems changing it thanks to this forum. I do recall when I first fueled up the DTE changed to something like 1048 miles. I don't pay any attention to DTE so I can't say how accurate it is. I order to get the rated 52 gallons into the tank I had to completely fill the fuel neck. When the fuel gauge is at half one would expect it would take 26 gallons to fill it up. I've found it is closer to 30 gallons.

Bandit400

Reaction score
Had my Titan 55 gallon installed on my 2019 CCLB DRW today. Used AutoEnginuity Giotto scan tool to make the necessary Fuel Capacity change to 194 liters (about 52 gallons which I believe is the max the BCM will recognize even though it says 290 as the max parameter. Nice thing about this tool is that you don't need a security gateway bypass cable to make the change. AutoEnginuity is authorized scantool in the FCA SGW Authentication System and bypass the SGM so you can perform diagnostics and bi-directionals without using a bypass cable. However does require you to have the Enhanced Chrysler Pack for the scantool and pay a yearly $50 license fee. Most of my vehicles are FCA products so it was worth the cost of the AutoEnginuity tool and enhanced options. Alpha is definitely a cheaper route if can get away with the functionality it provides. Hats off to Alpha for making programming available to the masses. Good to have options though. :)

Last edited:

Broccoli2

Reaction score
Purchased the Titan tank. After looking into all that was needed to reprogram, I figured I would ask my dealer what it would cost for them to do it. They charged me $405 to install and reprogram. For me to do it I would have to buy a PC , Alfa and the 2 cables. I have all Mac's at home and work. The PC would be the big expense and I would only use it this one time as I don't usually change stuff around. Except I would like the Fog lights to stay on with HighBeams but that's another thread... Anyway, I picked up the truck yesterday and turns out they didn't program it. After an hour of talking with 2 techs, the service manager, the shop foreman and the service writer I left with out it programed. They said they could do it "no problem". I asked several times and they assured me. They dealer is not the closest to me but its supposedly the best, about 50 miles from my house.... I was texting with the Service Manager this morning and asked if they had what Bandit400 has AutoEnginuity Giotto scan tool, he said they would buy it.. Time will tell. When I left the dealer the DTE said 413 miles, I towed my jeep home and when I got home the DTE said 420 miles, still pegged at full. That drive usually takes about a 1/4 tank. I don't drive this truck much so the DTE should say the year 2022 haha

Will_T

Reaction score
@Broccoli2 I was told by Titan and my installer that on a Ram the computer can not be reprogrammed. Not sure if that is 100% correct as I have not had the tank installed yet because I still have not received the truck. If it can't and the computer distance to empty is not accurate, I probably will not care. I don't think I would use that feature much anyway. Supposedly the regular fuel gauge works OK... like this: Once the tank is full the gauge reads full for the first couple hundred miles, then it starts to drop accurately as normal. If that is correct and what I find with mine, that will be all I need I think.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I used Alpha to change the fuel tank capacity to 194 Liters. I had no problems changing it thanks to this forum. I do recall when I first fueled up the DTE changed to something like 1048 miles. I don't pay any attention to DTE so I can't say how accurate it is. I order to get the rated 52 gallons into the tank I had to completely fill the fuel neck. When the fuel gauge is at half one would expect it would take 26 gallons to fill it up. I've found it is closer to 30 gallons.
I have not updated the truck for my 55 gallon tank. So when my guage reads 1/2 now, I put in 30-32 gallons.

I was looking for my security cable to do the update and I "put it away" someplace. Darnit!!

Going from a precarious 250 mile range with the stock 32 gallon to a precarious 450 is great! 10 mpg while towing the 5th wheel is average. In the mountains of course it's less.

Last edited:

Bandit400

Reaction score
@Broccoli2 I was told by Titan and my installer that on a Ram the computer can not be reprogrammed. Not sure if that is 100% correct as I have not had the tank installed yet because I still have not received the truck. If it can't and the computer distance to empty is not accurate, I probably will not care. I don't think I would use that feature much anyway. Supposedly the regular fuel gauge works OK... like this: Once the tank is full the gauge reads full for the first couple hundred miles, then it starts to drop accurately as normal. If that is correct and what I find with mine, that will be all I need I think.
The RAM has a few computer modules. In particular the fuel capacity value is stored in the BCM (Body Control Module). It is under "Vehicle Config 3" parameter "Fuel Capacity". The max value that works is 194 liters or about 51 gallons. It is definitely programmable using Alpha with the Security Gateway Bypass cable or scan tool software Autoenginuity (needs the Enhanced Chrysler option and autoauth SGW subscription) without a bypass cable.
A8310FA0-117D-4E82-9D6F-D9666CD806F7.jpeg

before change, 32 gallon setting:
6C8652E5-ACF9-4741-A577-155999F8C65F.jpeg

after change, Max 194 liters:
5B89873B-0E2E-4EA7-B01A-7EC583C8CF81.jpeg

Last edited:

Will_T

Reaction score
I probably should have said both Titan and the installer said they could not reprogram for the larger tank. Obviously those in the know and with the right tools can do it so that's great. I hope to have the truck within the next week or two and the first thing done to it will be the installation of the Titan tank.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Good info here. Guys any suggestions on what bypass cable to buy? And is this cable needed to bypass the "PIN" you would otherwise need to get form your dealer to access your vehicle through Alpha?

Will_T

Reaction score
I had the Titan replacement tank installed on my 2021 CCSB last week. Have about 700 miles with it and so far so good. The only hiccup was that even though the tank, when installed cleared the rear fuel filter by about 1/8", once filled, it must have expanded enough to then touch the edge of the filter screw on cap. I was worried about rubbing and wearing a defect into the tank and also about easily getting the filter cap off and on. There was just enough play in the frame holes the filter mounts to for a solution. The installer loosened the bolts holding the fuel filter, pulled the filter bottom/cap away from the tank and retightened the bolts. Now there is a clearance even when full. Still the same after 700 miles but the real test will be after miles on washboard road. I am optimistic it will stay good though as the tank is held in place very securely and tight by the Titan straps, and the two bolts on the fuel filter are good size and torqued down well. If it had turned out to not be that easy to fix, I suppose then could have enlarged the holes a bit and moved the filter that way but it did not turn out to be necessary.

I suspect the issue came up because even though Titan supposedly used great detail and lasers to design the tank fit, the fuel filter truck to truck might be mounted off by a fraction of an inch or so. In my case this put it touching the tank, in other cases it might be fine. I don't know how much extra slack, if any, is in the hose and electrical connections to the fuel filter but if on a particular truck it could not be solved just by loosening and retightening the bolts, it might be possible to do this: Remove the filter and bolts and drill a third hole to the passenger side of the two existing holes and move the filter over by that much. The driveshaft is over in that direction but there is a lot of clearance to that on my truck at least so it probably would have worked. Happily we did not need to try that solution though.

It is really something that these trucks meant for towing would come with such small tanks. Going to 52 gallons from 31 may not seem necessary to all but for us, towing in the desolate country of eastern Oregon, Nevada, Utah and Arizona, it will be good peace of mind. Nice to have the extra distance capability to not always have the TT connected when fueling. Also to pass up small out of the way fuel stops for a more heavily used one down the road.

Last edited:

Bandit400

Reaction score
Good info here. Guys any suggestions on what bypass cable to buy? And is this cable needed to bypass the "PIN" you would otherwise need to get form your dealer to access your vehicle through Alpha?
PIN is typically used by dealer to program the new FOBIK. Not aware of any other use for the PIN code. As far as I know, Alpha can't program new FOBIKs on the 2019+ Ram HDs. Only dealer and a handful of expensive programmers (which Locksmiths may purchase) are able to program new FOBIKs.

Users who are viewing this thread