Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tires and MPG

GeauxCrush

Reaction score
I am stuck between wanting a better tire/wheel look (and off-road performance), but not wanting to sacrifice too much fuel economy. I currently have the chrome clad steel wheels on the stock firestone 275/70 tires. I am looking at 285/75/17 AT tires and some fuel/rockstar/equivalent type wheels. I know the slightly larger tires (less than an inch) will hurt MPG, but is any of that regained by the significant weight savings compared to the stock setup? Any advice is appreciated!

D

Deleted member 80

You are probably looking at -1 mpg or so. Nothing major.

jkbrereton

Reaction score
You can gain 1 mpg just changing from mud terrains to All terrains

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GeauxCrush

Reaction score
You can gain 1 mpg just changing from mud terrains to All terrains

Do you think there will be a noticeable difference going from the stock firestone transforces to a more aggressive AT?

jkbrereton

Reaction score
I can't say. I noticed a difference going from Mickey Thompson Mud Countries to BFG KM2 All Terrains.

D

Deleted member 80

Do you think there will be a noticeable difference going from the stock firestone transforces to a more aggressive AT?
On my '15, going from the Transjunks to Nitto EXOs cost me about 1 mpg.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a set of 285/75-18 Falcon Wildpeak AT3s on mine. I averaged 15.6 for the 11,000 miles I put on the stock tires. In the 5000 miles I've had the ATs, I've averaged 14.7.

GeauxCrush

Reaction score
I have a set of 285/75-18 Falcon Wildpeak AT3s on mine. I averaged 15.6 for the 11,000 miles I put on the stock tires. In the 5000 miles I've had the ATs, I've averaged 14.7.
Awesome comparison, thank you. What model is your truck? Also, how does the ride compare with the new AT’s vs the stockers?

AKDoug

Reaction score
2019 Tradesman HO engine with the stock Transforce I averaged 17.1 mpg on a 500 mile round trip with virtually not stops. I did the same trip a week ago with my Cooper M&S snow tires (same 275/70 R18 size) and only got 15.2 mpg.. I was shocked at the huge difference and I'll be monitoring it once the snow tires come off in April. I ran both sets of tires at 80psi.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome comparison, thank you. What model is your truck? Also, how does the ride compare with the new AT’s vs the stockers?

It's a CCSB Tradesman with 3.73s. I can't tell any difference in. the ride and these tires are very quiet. Except for the mileage, I don't see any downside to them.

KLSU

Reaction score
It's a CCSB Tradesman with 3.73s. I can't tell any difference in. the ride and these tires are very quiet. Except for the mileage, I don't see any downside to them.

Hutchman, did you have to add a level or lift to fit that size tires? Is that on stock rims or aftermarket with different offset? That is: 34.8D x 11.2W tires

You have a picture of your truck?

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hutchman, did you have to add a level or lift to fit that size tires? Is that on stock rims or aftermarket with different offset? That is: 34.8D x 11.2W tires

You have a picture of your truck?

Missed this....sorry. I did not have to do any lift or level kit. They fit perfectly and should come with this size from the factory. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Jugular

Reaction score
Missed this....sorry. I did not have to do any lift or level kit. They fit perfectly and should come with this size from the factory. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Have you posted a photo of your truck yet? On another thread? Interested in that tire size...

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you posted a photo of your truck yet? On another thread? Interested in that tire size...

Crap.....

20190614_154625-X2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread