Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timing chain advice.

Niaric

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie package 2WD 5.7 liter Hemi 64k miles. Check engine light came on about a month ago took it down to Autozone they diagnosed it as a crank sensor. I took down to the Dodge dealer thinking it was still under warranty but was informed that it expired November 2015. After YouTube'n it I decided to fix the problem myself, I replaced both the cam and crank sensor. Everything was great for about a day, and then one morning the auto start wouldn't work and the check engine light is back on. I ran it up to the Dodge dealership thinking that they just needed to reset the code which they did. Just to be safe I turned the engine off and back on again and the check engine light came back on. They convinced me to leave it with them overnight which I did and the next day they tried to tell me that the cam phaser had failed stretching the timing chain and I would need to replace all of this costing me £1,400. WTH? Of course they never offered to fix it for free seeing that the warranty on it expired a month and a half prior. I even called the Dodge line and they basically showed me the door. Help!!!

Offtopic question.
Ticking noise in 2014 5.4 Triton 3 Valve was diagnosed by Ford to be coming from lower end. I suggested that this might be a cam phaser problem and Ford said no. No problem found in lower end, but Ford ended up replacing cam phasers, both cam shafts, timing chain, and idlers with a bill that stated at £4800 and was reduced to £3400 when my selling dealer intervened. I read a lot of articles about this but don't know what to do. I immediately filed a Ford Case Number since vehicle was 1500 miles out of warranty, but only three years old. I paid the bill in full in March and still waiting in June for Ford to determine if they are going to reimburse me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread