Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on the powerbump

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so the internet has lit up about no powerbump.

I actually saw were one person was angry that it was 1 ft lb less than a competitor.

So let's think about this.

HD Gas leader in Horsepower...check.

HD Gas leader in payload...check.

Down 1(one) lb ft of torque...check.

So, when you are class leading, a power bump would beat who...yourself.

I would guess to get 2lb ft of torque to be class leading would raise Horsepower?

Ram wants back to back to back awards.

We heard the BGE will remain what it is.

Cummins broke the 1000 lbft war...how much more is needed really?

So, my guess is, if the competition bests the 410 Horsepower...Ram will up the ante and will make the torque better than also.

The 5.7l Hemi got quite a few power bumps over the years...one must assume the 6.4l can take on a few more horsepower, especially with the new transmission.

I am venturing a guess...sometime this generation...475 horsepowerand 475 torque.

The biggest power numbers before in a Ram was the 8.0l V10 Magnum with 310 Horespower and 450 lb ft of torque...back when the Gasser had more than the Cummins...and it was completely limited to the transmission.

Here is hoping for an awesome HD gasser...oh, wait, we have that!

Deleted Member

Reaction score
I’m to understand Ford is developing a 7.0 to replace their BGEs, I guess Ram is making one for the TRX..I wonder if that will make it into the Ram HDs? (If they want to keep up they need to!)

Ram puts the same transmission gear ratios in their HD diesel transmissions (68RFE) as they do the HD gassers; Ford on the other had puts better ratios in their gassers.

A small hp/tq difference is irrelevant. The 66RFE behind the 6.4 is so annoying and the problem. Don’t get me wrong, the 66RFE transmission is a beast, but the 1st and 2nd gear ratios are no good for a gasser. Not to mention the 4th to 2nd shift it likes to pull when towing up a hill. It works better when manually shifted.

I can’t wait to drive a new 6.4 with the ZF8 behind it!

D

Deleted member 80

After owning a 6.4/66RFE for four years, and having now towed my toyhauler at over 23K combined, I am sure the 8 spd will feel like a power bump. The 66RFE is a terrible match to the 6.4.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it's bit of an old thread, but I now have a 392 with an 8 speed and 3.73s. I have not towed with it yet, but it seems perfectlt matched for DD in town, on the highway, and in the mountains. Much better than my old Power Wagon or Bighorn.

Ramit530

Reaction score
Well, it's bit of an old thread, but I now have a 392 with an 8 speed and 3.73s. I have not towed with it yet, but it seems perfectlt matched for DD in town, on the highway, and in the mountains. Much better than my old Power Wagon or Bighorn.
Thinking/leaning toward this same set-up. Had one for the weekend courtesy of my sales mgr and truly enjoyed riding around w it. Hooked up my trailer for a short trip, 2400 lb empty, and could not tell it was back there other then the added rear bounce from an empty trailer

MartyZ

Reaction score
The TRX is supposed to have the supercharged 6.2 liter hemi. Not sure of the transmission though.

Users who are viewing this thread