Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of changing tire size to 275/65/20...anyone else done it?

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...some other guys may deny...but not me! However I can’t do anything to make the truck bigger than it currently is, it’s my daily driver and tough to park in most of Northern VA. I cringe every time I go into a park garage even though the restriction bars are there I see all the sprinkler heads and caution lights hanging down and just know one of them is going to impact my shark fin antenna and rip the roof off...

My thoughts on the Firestone tires are like everyone else on here, they’re ok but I’ll replace them soon. I like the sporty OWL look AND I would like a little more sidewall for towing. Those 2 things combine in the 275/65/20 size tire. I’m a big fan of Michelin and Bridgestone tires and they both offer the OWL option in this size. Has anyone made this change. I can’t get a committed answer from the manufacturer , they advise to see your dealer. I get all that now I wanted top ask the experienced folks out there if they’ve done something similar. The tire sizes aren’t that different but sometimes just a small increase will throw it off. I pasted the pics from the website that illustrates the differences. Thanks in advance for your reply.

ADEE3BAC-7F30-432F-A37B-B839EDF645B4.jpegB02C1F8C-1095-4294-A045-1EDF107A34BC.jpeg

MikeXM

Reaction score
Not sure I'm following you: you don't want to make your truck any higher cuz you are scared of hitting your roof in park garages but you also want to increase your tire size? That doesn't quite work together...

Anyway, I'm running that exact size and no complain on stock suspension. You may want to recalibrate your speedometer. I can't stand having an error.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
What I meant was in the way of lift kit and 37” tires etc. I need to keep it reasonable and as close to factory specs as I can. The 275/65 tire size only marginally increases in height by approx 1/2 inch, so that’s not a huge increase. Like you, I also don’t like the errors or want to significantly throw off the geometry the factory engineers came up with. Glad to hear it’s working out for you. What brand did you end up going with?

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
MikeXM one additional question - what truck do you have now? I see in your signature block you have a Mac Daddy 3500 Longhorn ordered just wondering if that’s the same or a different model. Thanks

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to install 285/65R20 Falken A/T3W. I don't know if they offer them OWL.

You're worried about hitting something in a parking garage? Aren't most of them at least 8'?

The truck is only just over 6.5'

MikeXM

Reaction score
MikeXM one additional question - what truck do you have now? I see in your signature block you have a Mac Daddy 3500 Longhorn ordered just wondering if that’s the same or a different model. Thanks
I own a RAM 5.7l Megacab right now.
I used both Firestone Destination and BFGoodrich KO2 in that size on that truck. Those KO2 had about half the thread life of the Destination... Not sure what I'll buy next but not KO2 for sure. Good looking tires but boy do they melt away.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I own a RAM 5.7l Megacab right now.
I used both Firestone Destination and BFGoodrich KO2 in that size on that truck. Those KO2 had about half the thread life of the Destination... Not sure what I'll buy next but not KO2 for sure. Good looking tires but boy do they melt away.

BFG's are also more prone to Death Wobble than most other tires.

MikeXM

Reaction score
BFG's are also more prone to Death Wobble than most other tires.
That I didn't know. Is there such a list?
Or is it just because it is a popular tire = more on the road = more chance to get the DW?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That I didn't know. Is there such a list?
Or is it just because it is a popular tire = more on the road = more chance to get the DW?

No real list, just seems to be more prevalent with bubba tires and BFG's.

Any tire that doesn't have a stiff sidewall and anything that's been upsized too much can contribute to DW. So does worn suspensions and steering components, shocks, tie rod ends. I had it some on my 04.5 but changing over to the 2008+ "T" steering, new tires and shocks fixed it. I was at47K when I did that.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
I'm going to install 285/65R20 Falken A/T3W. I don't know if they offer them OWL.

You're worried about hitting something in a parking garage? Aren't most of them at least 8'?

The truck is only just over 6.5'
Depends on the garage , most but not all in this area are 7’ and under. I try to avoid the garage in general. I park way out just to avoid door dings etc. Thanks to you and MikeXM for the feedback on the BFGs. I’m debating between the Michelins and the Bridgestones. I will spend 99% of my time on the asphalt so mud and snow considerations are minimal. Both of those brands are all season and will meet my needs with the first consideration of daily driving followed closely by towing. When it snows I stay off the road to avoid the other drivers. I don’t take the truck in real mud so I don’t need aggressive tread tires. Thanks again for the feedback.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with the Michelins. They wear like iron.

Set of highway Michelins that came on my 04.5 were horrible in the snow so I took them off.

Seems like the current LTX tire is much better. My wife has Michelin A/S on her Subaru and I have Pilot Sport 4S summer times for my Audi. They're all nice tires.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Thanks for the death wobble link. I’m familiar with the issue and fortunately have never experienced it myself. I’m not a BFG fan. I’m more inclined to buy a highway tire, I don’t have a need for a true all terrain tire. My use for the truck is primarily towing on asphalt and very minimal off pavement on improved dirt roads.

I agree with brutal’s comments on Michelin’s. I’ve had a bunch of sets and think they are probably THE best out there. The bridgestones get very positive reviews and look good too but I’ve never owned a set. I’m 99% sold on Michelin’s but will do more research on the change in tire size before I purchase.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had some Bridgestone and Dunlop car tires and they're all good. Hated the Pirelli's. Currently running Blizzaks for my winter tire. Awesome tire on an AWD car and always highly rated.

For my car, A/S might as well be No Season so I run summers & winters. Having them mounted on different wheels makes that transition easier.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
I've had some Bridgestone and Dunlop car tires and they're all good. Hated the Pirelli's. Currently running Blizzaks for my winter tire. Awesome tire on an AWD car and always highly rated.

For my car, A/S might as well be No Season so I run summers & winters. Having them mounted on different wheels makes that transition easier.
I had 2 sets of Pirelli Scorpions replaced on a 2008 King Ranch F150 because they were too soft and kept going out of round. All done before 4K miles. My local Ford dealer did the right thing and took care of it. The first 5-10 miles in the morning were tough driving on square bottomed tires !! They looked awesome on the truck were a huge disappointment, no more Pirellis for me either.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
Anyone have the Falken Wildpeaks? I always see good reviews of them. I'm thinking of getting them in the 285/65/20 flavor.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone have the Falken Wildpeaks? I always see good reviews of them. I'm thinking of getting them in the 285/65/20 flavor.

That's what I'm getting and in that size. I have never seen a bad review on them.

I compared all the top reviewed tires and for the load capacity, cost, and performance, they're tough to beat.

My son put them on his Tahoe used tow a TT they bought and said they were great. They went up through the Tetons in snow and they performed very well. He ran them in San Antonio until they traded the Tahoe. I drove it in Jan 2019 and they were quiet and had good road manners.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I had an F150 just previous to my new truck and had the Duratracs and couldn't stand them in the end. It seems like once they wore into 10-15k miles they became very slick on wet surfaces , wore uneven, and became very noisy. I also had them rotated when i needed. I just did not like them. In Western PA I need a good offroad/snow tire and those as many reviews as I have read are great for what I need.

jned671

Banned and tried to rejoin
Reaction score
285/65/20 with a 2 inch leveling kit... Damn she runs close.

Attachments

• 8A89C699-55A7-4D03-B78B-2A327185031A.jpeg
    8A89C699-55A7-4D03-B78B-2A327185031A.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 3849E23E-11A5-4354-84FD-199F8AE08F20.jpeg
    3849E23E-11A5-4354-84FD-199F8AE08F20.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 82

PGHChris81

Reaction score
285/65/20 Wildpeaks on stockers. 1.75" Level kit. Stock Bilsteins.

Attachments

• MyRAM level 1.jpg
    MyRAM level 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84

Users who are viewing this thread