Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

These numbers are not matching up...

kevin588127

Reaction score
That's exactly what my cc hemi bighorn weighed with me, a full tank of fuel and whatever random stuff is in the glove boxes and center console.

jebruns

Reaction score
This is the 3/4ton dilemma. It's more than capable of towing a biggish 5th wheel, but because of the .gov imposed 10K limit, it might be illegal to do so. Lots of folks have run headlong into this issue over the years, buying a 3/4ton and finding all of this out. And lots of folks just ignore it and pull the big 5th wheels with them anyway. We all have to weigh the risk vs rewards thing through our own filters.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is the 3/4ton dilemma. It's more than capable of towing a biggish 5th wheel, but because of the .gov imposed 10K limit, it might be illegal to do so. Lots of folks have run headlong into this issue over the years, buying a 3/4ton and finding all of this out. And lots of folks just ignore it and pull the big 5th wheels with them anyway. We all have to weigh the risk vs rewards thing through our own filters.
Ram imposed 10k limit…. Not the gov

jebruns

Reaction score
Because its not government regulated… ram choses to limit them at 10k only so its easier to register in some states where they require commercial licensing on trucks over 10,000lbs
Well yeah, otherwise they would not be able to call them 3/4 tons, they'd be 1 tons. At least effectively.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Well yeah, otherwise they would not be able to call them 3/4 tons, they'd be 1 tons. At least effectively.
1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton are marketing terms, nothing else. Most “1/2 ton” trucks have a model that can haul over 1 ton, a gas Ram 2500 can haul 1 1/2 tons, and some of the gas 3500s can haul almost 4 tons. A manufacturer can call them whatever they want.

Reaction score
Because its not government regulated… ram choses to limit them at 10k only so its easier to register in some states where they require commercial licensing on trucks over 10,000lbs
Not true, weight alone does not determine private or commercial.
Weight just determines a Class of license.
Up until about 5 or 6 years ago (I think) in Texas, I could haul a combo (toter home and 50' race trailer) with nothing more than a Class C.
That thing grossed out at about 85K to 90K. Not legal on the weight, but since it was registered as a private vehicle, no DOT scales, no nothing.
Just get in and drive.
I am glad that a lot of states went to non-commercial Class B and Class A license.
Basically , 26001 (yes ONE) or more and you need to get a Class B or Class A if it is a combination

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not true, weight alone does not determine private or commercial.
Weight just determines a Class of license.
Up until about 5 or 6 years ago (I think) in Texas, I could haul a combo (toter home and 50' race trailer) with nothing more than a Class C.
That thing grossed out at about 85K to 90K. Not legal on the weight, but since it was registered as a private vehicle, no DOT scales, no nothing.
Just get in and drive.
I am glad that a lot of states went to non-commercial Class B and Class A license.
Basically , 26001 (yes ONE) or more and you need to get a Class B or Class A if it is a combination
Depends on the state…

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thats ridiculous as the 2500s have a 12k capacity if you ignore the laughable registration weight

Reaction score
Oh, and if you are curious.....
I got this truck for the sole purpose of turning a toy hauler RV into a work from home office.
Turning the garage into a..... not sure what you would call it, but there will be 7-8 monitors, 3 computers, a test/gun/work/ bench.
I may even put in a 9mm progressive loader in the corner. While I am out and about, visiting customers, there may be some USPSA matches along the way.
Leave the gun laws to another thread, I know where I will and will not travel too. Thanks.
Also going to set it up for enough solar to make it a min of 24 hours off grid. Might take me a year to get this done, depends how how much stuff breaks on the RV... LOL

jebruns

Reaction score
Thats ridiculous as the 2500s have a 12k capacity if you ignore the laughable registration weight
Agreed. They really need to update the 10K for 3/4tons thing. It's a leftover from the days when pickups were much less capable.

jebruns

Reaction score
Oh, and if you are curious.....
I got this truck for the sole purpose of turning a toy hauler RV into a work from home office.
It'll do the job, no question, as long as you are okay with possibly being legally over weight. And I'm not passing judgement here. As I said, lots of folks do it. Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. They really need to update the 10K for 3/4tons thing. It's a leftover from the days when pickups were much less capable.

The whole vehicle class classification needs to be updated. For the most part modern vehicles are heavier and more capable, but on paper they are less capable because of antiquated classes.

It would be nice to see something like this

Class 1: <8,000lbs
Class 2: 8,001-12,500
Class 3: 12,501-16,000
etc...

There is no physical limitation to running at max FAWR + RAWR, but the current classifications don't allow for it on paper.

Users who are viewing this thread