Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The towing Crown goes now to GM

CGiron

Reaction score
Max 35500 lbs towing capacity.

The optional engine is a 6.6-liter diesel V-8 rated at 445 hp and 910 pound-feet of torque coupled with a 10-speed automatic transmission co-developed with Allison.

The diesel model, combined with additional upgrades, boosts max towing 52 percent — now up to 35,500 pounds on Regular Cab, two-wheel drive, dually rear-wheel models.

Silverado HD

Longhorn

Reaction score
Max 35500 lbs towing capacity.

The optional engine is a 6.6-liter diesel V-8 rated at 445 hp and 910 pound-feet of torque coupled with a 10-speed automatic transmission co-developed with Allison.

The diesel model, combined with additional upgrades, boosts max towing 52 percent — now up to 35,500 pounds on Regular Cab, two-wheel drive, dually rear-wheel models.

Silverado HD

Ford will beat that when their numbers come out.......

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
I heard from somewhere that GM tested their trucks slightly different than Ram. They said that if Ram had used the same method, they probably would have matched or beaten GMs number. Something about starting one of the tests from a stand still as compared to a running start. Either way, is 400 pounds that important when your already over 35k???

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
2019 RAM 2500s are SAE J2807 compliant...does GM follow the same standard?

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
I would assume GM used the same standard, but I guess this one portion left some variance as to how you could start the test. I'll have to try figure out where I heard about it and post the link. I've read that standard and it's extremely tough. Like the Ike gauntlet 3 times back to back.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
The first one to post numbers always loses. What a world we live in though.....1000 ft-lbs....wow!

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
20 years ago, the max GCWR of both the Ram 3500 and F-350 were 20k pounds. A new 2500 gasser is higher than that now. It just blows my mind... Did anyone follow those rules back then? My buddy had a f250 that we used to pull a monstrous goose neck race car trailer. It had to have been WAY over the max weight.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody cared, nor did anyone really have the knowledge. The fear of litigation is the big driver for the "weight conscious" today I believe. I also think there is a lot of misinformation on what is "legal" and what is internet BS. But that is just my opinion.....

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
I was just looking at some tow rating for the new GM HDs online. The regular cab long bed 2wd is about the only configuration where GM beats Ram. In most all of the other configurations, Ram is higher. I guess it's a good thing for GM that the regular cab 2wd DWR long bed is the most popular configuration, right???

D

Deleted member 80

I was just looking at some tow rating for the new GM HDs online. The regular cab long bed 2wd is about the only configuration where GM beats Ram. In most all of the other configurations, Ram is higher. I guess it's a good thing for GM that the regular cab 2wd DWR long bed is the most popular configuration, right???

Gimmick Motors

CGiron

Reaction score
The Towing Crowns now is owned by Ford Super Duty , with new steel pistons and a CGI block

Crown

With stunning delivery of best-in-class 475 horsepower and 1,050 ft.-lbs. of torque

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the refresh of RAM will be soon. The 6.4l Hemi will be getting a little bigger brother (or just a tune).

And of course they will just turn the Cummins up to 1100.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
I would almost think Ram would have prepared for this and already tested a 1100 lb/ft version set why would know a small tweak on the turbo here and a little computer model there and that's it...

I also agree on the 6.4L. The one thing I think Ford nailed was the new 7.3L, a purpose built gas HD engine. Why ram didnt do anything with the 6.4 is beyond me. Hopefully they already have something in the works.

And in all reality, the other trucks aren't really more capable, they're just lighter. They all have the same GCWR (43k) and GVWR (14k), except the F450. And is it really fair to compare it to the 3500s? At the end of the day I think the are all so close it just comes down to personal preference and who is willing to give the best deal... The one thing I have heard almost everyone agree on is that Ram has taken the interior to a whole new level, and that does make a difference...

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
The Towing Crowns now is owned by Ford Super Duty , with new steel pistons and a CGI block

Crown

With stunning delivery of best-in-class 475 horsepower and 1,050 ft.-lbs. of torque
I used to bleed ford blue, but I just can’t deal with all the underhood garbage.....very busy under there. I will stick with the inline Cummins.

Users who are viewing this thread