Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The sway bar delete thread slapfest FKA What Rockcrawlerdude did TO his RAM today?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
[MOD: You guys are a lot of work. 50 posts I had to read and move... For those caught up in the sweep, sorry but that's the way it works.]

3A8B07DC-2A24-42D2-B4D4-6E52A769911F.jpeg

*do not try this at home* all testing was done on a closed course, off-road, by a professional driver*

Lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
very curious to hear how the truck handles taking corners, panic turns, towing etc... I've wanted the Carli bar, but between the cost and the 12 week lead time, it is a tough buy for me.
Panic turn is something I’ve never heard of and I don’t think I’ll be trying that. I’ve had many solid axle trucks without swaybars in the past, so I already drive with that in mind.

I’ve been wanting to remove the thing for a while. I’ve removed the swaybars on every solid axle vehicle I’ve owned as part of the suspension modifications to them.

Truck drives better, smoother over bumps and lumps for sure. No more clunk on dips and potholes etc

I did leave the rear swaybar on for towing stability. The rear swaybar is much less beefy than the front one, so it flexes a lot more, which makes it less noticeable. Also, the stock rear suspension has much less travel so I wouldn’t gain a lot back there

Last edited:

jpidgie

Reaction score
Panic turn is something I’ve never heard of and I don’t think I’ll be trying that. I’ve had many solid axle trucks without swaybars in the past, so I already drive with that in mind.

I’ve been wanting to remove the thing for a while. I’ve removed the swaybars on every solid axle vehicle I’ve owned as part of the suspension modifications to them.

Truck drives better, smoother over bumps and lumps for sure. No more clunk on dips and potholes etc

I did leave the rear swaybar on for towing stability. The rear swaybar is much less beefy than the front one, so it flexes a lot more, which makes it less noticeable. Also, the stock rear suspension has much less travel so I wouldn’t gain a lot back there
Thanks for the input! I've been wanting to do it for a while now. Has anyone tried it with a Cummins?

At the time, I couldn't think of a better term other than "panic turn" lol, how about "obstacle avoidance". Just how it reacts if you have to suddenly avoid something in the middle of the road... a stopped car, pedestrian, deer (mmmmm... deer), OK maybe not a deer - although you probably don't have to worry about deer with that bumper!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I am going to be polite and understanding as possible because that's what kind of a man I am. I disagree with driving on the street with a front anti-sway bar disconnected but since I am always open to learning I going to provide you with the ability to educate me. This is a rather simple test and it could be fun for all of us. Of course, you and your rig will be the test subjects.

Go out this weekend and find an empty industrial park, abandon airfield, or some other safe place to lay out 10-20 cheap cones around 15-20 paces apart. Make sure you video record this experiment and share your thoughts with us - maybe a live broadcast?!? Anyway, begin with your anti-sway bar connected, and run the slalom course at 10 MPH and work up in 5 MPH increments. Records your times and share your thoughts. Most importantly, share your top speed with us.

Now, remove that goofy, heavy, unnecessary (according to some), anti-sway bar and repeat the testing beginning at 10 MPH and going up in 5 MPH increments. And please make sure you are recording this...I am really interested in seeing the results of your testing. Again, share your times and especially your top speed.

Are you willing to teach me something new or not?

Interesting...so we are now able to check a box somewhere and declare that we do not with to become involved in accidents? Please, tell me exactly how you can avoid all accidents such as deer bolting out at night, kids running between cars into the street, other drivers turning left in front of us at intersections, drivers falling asleep on long drives, etc. Since 30-40k people die in motor vehicle accidents in these United States every year there are countless who would love to take advantage of your secret. Please educate me once again.

In all honesty, I would love to see you perform the aforementioned testing...just tell us when to tune in :)
I’ll do it when you do it with your camper. Maybe a race?

Does your truck have one or two swaybars? I had two. I now have only one swaybar. I thought you had only one.

Regarding deer: you don’t swerve to miss deer. You slow down and, if you have to, you Just hit the deer. Anybody with sense will tell you this. Also, Hitting a deer is comprehensive (no fault) missing a deer and crashing in a ditch is collision (at fault). Regarding Kids: I drive the speed limit in residential zones. Adjustments wouldn’t send me into a barrel roll lol

You act like I don’t have good sense.. surely you don’t think that

Last edited:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Rockcrawlerdude
Since I have a PW with the disconnect front sway bar, guess I could just use that and drive. Wouldnt that basically do the same?
Then if I thought I needed it, I could easily reconnect it.

My '73 K5 Blazer I didnt run a sway bar. But it had a full suspension under it. Deaver springs and King shocks with 12" of travel on the front axle.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Rockcrawlerdude
Since I have a PW with the disconnect front sway bar, guess I could just use that and drive. Wouldnt that basically do the same?
Then if I thought I needed it, I could easily reconnect it.

My '73 K5 Blazer I didnt run a sway bar. But it had a full suspension under it. Deaver springs and King shocks with 12" of travel on the front axle.
Don’t disconnect your sway bar you will crash and die and kill everyone around you.

When it comes to straight axle rigs, I’ve had two XJs, a Comanche, a grand wagoneer, two SAS Toyota trucks and a YJ. All with varying degrees of built suspension (that I built) from not much over stock to full junkyard parts to wild. I pulled the swaybar(s) off every one of them.

I think this truck needs a little bit of sway bar, that’s why I left the rear one on. The rear one is much softer. I don’t foresee myself removing the rear one unless I decide to try and flip flop and run only the front and see how that feels. But, I won’t remove both.

I believe 3500s only have front swaybars. I’m not sure if PW have rear ones like I do.

Last edited:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Yes, the PW has both. But only the front will disconnect.

I've seen videos and done flex test myself, an yes, you do get more flex with it disconnected.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I ran my 2007 without a swaybar for a while. It was fine with the stock suspension. Once I went to softer coils I put it back on. It was fine for normal driving but too loose for sudden unexpected movements. I didn't try it on my 2020 but I thought about it.
I am going to be polite and understanding as possible because that's what kind of a man I am. I disagree with driving on the street with a front anti-sway bar disconnected but since I am always open to learning I going to provide you with the ability to educate me. This is a rather simple test and it could be fun for all of us. Of course, you and your rig will be the test subjects.

Go out this weekend and find an empty industrial park, abandon airfield, or some other safe place to lay out 10-20 cheap cones around 15-20 paces apart. Make sure you video record this experiment and share your thoughts with us - maybe a live broadcast?!? Anyway, begin with your anti-sway bar connected, and run the slalom course at 10 MPH and work up in 5 MPH increments. Records your times and share your thoughts. Most importantly, share your top speed with us.

Now, remove that goofy, heavy, unnecessary (according to some), anti-sway bar and repeat the testing beginning at 10 MPH and going up in 5 MPH increments. And please make sure you are recording this...I am really interested in seeing the results of your testing. Again, share your times and especially your top speed.

Are you willing to teach me something new or not?

Interesting...so we are now able to check a box somewhere and declare that we do not with to become involved in accidents? Please, tell me exactly how you can avoid all accidents such as deer bolting out at night, kids running between cars into the street, other drivers turning left in front of us at intersections, drivers falling asleep on long drives, etc. Since 30-40k people die in motor vehicle accidents in these United States every year there are countless who would love to take advantage of your secret. Please educate me once again.

In all honesty, I would love to see you perform the aforementioned testing...just tell us when to tune in :)

I ran my 2007 without a swaybar for a while. It was fine with the stock suspension. Once I went to softer coils I put it back on. It was fine for normal driving but too loose for sudden unexpected movements. I didn't try it on my 2020 but I thought about it. I have a torsion swaybar now and I love it.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Well so much for disconnecting the front Sway bar. Have to be on 4WD the message on the screen said.
OK, 4WD Hi. Good. Disconnect sway bar. Good.
Start driving and put it back in 2WD as the front end skips around.
Well low and behold, it goes to 2WD and reconnects the Sway bar. :eek::rolleyes:o_O:oops:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Stop trying to redirect the conversation and answer the original question with a yes or no. Will you defend your modification and perform the test or not?

Your Power Wagon will not permit you to travel over 15-20 MPH with the front anti-sway bar disconnected. Ask a suspension engineer or professional racer why.

Hey, I'm just a really smart guy who knows that if you disconnect your front anti-sway bar while driving on public roads you will most likely crash and die and kill everyone around you.
No, I won’t be humoring you by doing a test.

My tests have been completed with NHTSA standards which are:
Not
Having
The
Slightest
Amount of care

Agree to disagree on the front swaybar subject. My small brain doesn’t have room to care about what others think.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Stop trying to redirect the conversation and answer the original question with a yes or no. Will you defend your modification and perform the test or not?

Your Power Wagon will not permit you to travel over 15-20 MPH with the front anti-sway bar disconnected. Ask a suspension engineer or professional racer why.

Hey, I'm just a really smart guy who knows that if you disconnect your front anti-sway bar while driving on public roads you will most likely crash and die and kill everyone around you.
No, you cannot disconnect the sway bar unless you are in 4WD and doing less than 20 MPH. Once its disconnected, you can exceed 20 MPH. See my last post.
And if you read my other post, I drove my 73 K5 Blazer without a sway bar for years and never wrecked it or killed anyone. And Ive tricycled it a few times with no issues.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I accept you publicly admitting defeat. Thank you.

But if you ever change your mind feel free to prove me wrong with a simple test ;)

I do not own a Power Wagon since I required a reasonable payload capacity although it was my understanding that if your front anti-swab bar is disconnected and you exceed a certain speed, like 18 MPH, it automatically reconnects. Are you able to test that and post a video for us?
Oh shoot please not “public defeat” anything but that. I hope the internet doesn’t think I’m lame now.

I, for one, would love to see how that lifted 3500 with the 1100+lb slide in performs on this cone course of yours. I think the results of that would humble your elitist attitude on this subject.

Go back to taking your pills, you used to be pleasant. Lol.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I accept you publicly admitting defeat. Thank you.

But if you ever change your mind feel free to prove me wrong with a simple test ;)

I do not own a Power Wagon since I required a reasonable payload capacity although it was my understanding that if your front anti-swab bar is disconnected and you exceed a certain speed, like 18 MPH, it automatically reconnects. Are you able to test that and post a video for us?
So your making comments/assumptions about trucks you dont own and/or havent driven.
:oops: :rolleyes: :p:D:p:D

Users who are viewing this thread