Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Other Vehicle

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I have a 50's M38 jeep in the back yard im struggling mentally with on what or how to fit a drivetrain in that thing. its so short i almost want to be that guy to throw a 22re with a 3 speed auto on toy's and a samurai divorced tcase but with a wheel base built like a golf cart i just dont know. half tempted to do ford tons, stretch it 2ft graft in a second m38 body portion and then send it.

thats after all my other projects :(
I’m a Toyota guy but I think the 22re is completely overrated. Every one I’ve been around that was run hard came apart in a hurry and it is way overcomplicated EFI.

I would put an AMC Jeep 2.5L in it

Toy axles though? hell yes

oledirteh

Reaction score
I’m a Toyota guy but I think the 22re is completely overrated. Every one I’ve been around that was run hard came apart in a hurry and it is way overcomplicated EFI.

I would put an AMC Jeep 2.5L in it

Toy axles though? hell yes

i had a samurai (Frame and hood really) on a 22r, 3 speed reverse valve body on toys and a samurai case with 37's and was just damn fun until i leaned it to hard and the carb would say nay nay.

before that i had the Toyota 4runner full exo on 39's gm 1 tons 513 gears 22re manual with the toy doubler. thing was a beast. the gearing was nuts in 1st double low.

then before that i had a 91 gmc jimmy full size with the 350. body swapped it to a 83s10 then chopped the frame down did cucv 1 tons, 203/205 doubler, caged it and all that jazz then broke it in half pretty much when i rolled it down the side of a hill dropping down 4 foot drops and drug a rock on the rear and kicked my rear over and i went down.

I do like toyota stuff more than anything. mainly cause it's so easy to get the gearing and even with 50 squirrel power youll still break chome alloys cause 300-1 is just nuts.

the 4runner

the s10

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
i had a samurai (Frame and hood really) on a 22r, 3 speed reverse valve body on toys and a samurai case with 37's and was just damn fun until i leaned it to hard and the carb would say nay nay.

before that i had the Toyota 4runner full exo on 39's gm 1 tons 513 gears 22re manual with the toy doubler. thing was a beast. the gearing was nuts in 1st double low.

then before that i had a 91 gmc jimmy full size with the 350. body swapped it to a 83s10 then chopped the frame down did cucv 1 tons, 203/205 doubler, caged it and all that jazz then broke it in half pretty much when i rolled it down the side of a hill dropping down 4 foot drops and drug a rock on the rear and kicked my rear over and i went down.

I do like toyota stuff more than anything. mainly cause it's so easy to get the gearing and even with 50 squirrel power youll still break chome alloys cause 300-1 is just nuts.

the 4runner

the s10
Hell yea man.
Toyota stuff works when it works. I’ve posted mine a few times, My toy is 22re powered. Dual cases 4.7:1 rear case, 5.29s turning 39” reds. It Goes thru 22re motors though

oledirteh

Reaction score
Hell yea man.
Toyota stuff works when it works. I’ve posted mine a few times, My toy is 22re powered. Dual cases 4.7:1 rear case, 5.29s turning 39” reds. It Goes thru 22re motors though

thats wild, i think a majority of the east coast guys out here run them and ive never seen one die minus maybe one. but he's blessed with the worst of luck.

but now everyone's gone to ls swaps. i want to build another crawler in the worst way just i have ran out of room. To many atv's, sxs's, cars, trucks, trailers lol. i dont have space. im currently using a 28ft enclosed as a shed right now so i can park the model A in the garage to prep for car shows. i have to go up to pa and pick it up this weekend.

waaaaaait...... i could turn the model a into a crawler...... ok bad thoughts. lol. i also have a 90's W/T 3500 i can build something out of. but i hate chevy frames. they flex more then a leaf spring

whitexc

Reaction score
thats wild, i think a majority of the east coast guys out here run them and ive never seen one die minus maybe one. but he's blessed with the worst of luck.

but now everyone's gone to ls swaps. i want to build another crawler in the worst way just i have ran out of room. To many atv's, sxs's, cars, trucks, trailers lol. i dont have space. im currently using a 28ft enclosed as a shed right now so i can park the model A in the garage to prep for car shows. i have to go up to pa and pick it up this weekend.

waaaaaait...... i could turn the model a into a crawler...... ok bad thoughts. lol. i also have a 90's W/T 3500 i can build something out of. but i hate chevy frames. they flex more then a leaf spring

Pics of this A. Love that old iron. Gramps had a ‘30. First car I ever drove.

Sent from me

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ill get some pics on saturday when i get up to the house to get it. its also a 30. From my first go over its mint just hasnt moved in 10+ years. so need to go through it.

from what i saw, all original, everything's there, there is a patch of rust i think i saw on the passenger side front fender by the floorboard. other than that its good to go. Gf gave me the go head to hot rod it but i just don't feel i should butcher something so complete and clean. but nothing would be cooler than throwing a flathead in there.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I started life as a Toy guy, had a 95 4Runner I did a rear 56” leaf swap to. 4.88’s, ARB out back, and 22RE/5spd. Had a LCE long tube header, TRD Cam (wouldn’t do again), and a heavy weight flywheel. Crawled really well for a stock tcase. I was working on SAS parts but the electrical stuff was getting wonky. I returned it to stock height and gears and moved everything, except motor stuff, over to a 92 reg cab 22RE/5spd the wife had. Didn’t get around to the SAS before the first kid came along and a reg cab toy wasn’t family friendly.

The guy who bought the runner did a SAS swap and it made it a sweet crawler. Haven’t seen pics in a few years. At one point he hydo locked the motor and threw a rod.

Couple hundred thousand 22RE miles and no real issues. I liked that little motor.

We still have a 4Runner but now two Jeeps…. It’s a blended household :D

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

I’m on the east coast and know a lot of Toyota guys, it’s odd that our experiences differ so much. A handful still run 22re and talk crap anbout them because they rebuild them or replace them often but many have ditched the 22re for 3RZ.

oledirteh

Reaction score
yea weird. i ran 2 of them no issues, then my other 2 rigs were tbi350's. the 350's were dogs but do last forever. Im up in maryland and majority of my riding was in VA and PA. I still rock crawl, i just do it in a can am x3 now which is nothing compared to a real rig. ill get back into it one day, just need to hide stuff so the gf doesnt whine that im a redneck and a horder.

i do have a sterling 10.25 housing in the shed and 2 tcases and a 2 transmissions. i should really inventory what i have. i really want to get back into a s10 blazer since i like the wheel base.

Users who are viewing this thread