Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text Message Notifications

rfullen280

Reaction score
Any way to get "visual" notifications of new messages, without that loud ass Uconnect Robot Lady reading the name/number?

moparfan06

Reaction score
Do you have an iPhone or Android? I know with Apple's CarPlay, it just displays the name or number of the person who messaged you. Then you can tap on the message notification to have it read to you. I assume Android Auto is similar.

mcarey

Reaction score
Do you have an iPhone or Android? I know with Apple's CarPlay, it just displays the name or number of the person who messaged you. Then you can tap on the message notification to have it read to you. I assume Android Auto is similar.
I think they want to avoid the "Text message from, Blah Blah" megaphone-like announcement.

I don't think that is possible, however. I actually just removed the access to my messages. Found it to be nothing more than an extra notification that I felt from my phone, from my watch, and now through my stereo - with which I still had to physically grab the phone to do anything.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Any way to get "visual" notifications of new messages, without that loud ass Uconnect Robot Lady reading the name/number?
Stopped it lets you hit view, perhaps hitting the park brake 1 click may trick it like it does to drls but i am not sure

moparfan06

Reaction score
I think they want to avoid the "Text message from, Blah Blah" megaphone-like announcement.

I don't think that is possible, however. I actually just removed the access to my messages. Found it to be nothing more than an extra notification that I felt from my phone, from my watch, and now through my stereo - with which I still had to physically grab the phone to do anything.
I didn't pair my phone with Unconnect, I just use CarPlay using a USB cable. That's probably the difference. For me, using Siri with CarPlay allows me to do what i want to do while interacting with my iPhone while I'm driving.

rfullen280

Reaction score

YES! You're driving along, rocking out... and then this VOICE from hell, screams out "T E X T message from X Y Z". and there's no way to make that voice quieter.....or go away

MtnRider

Reaction score
Even the older 8.4 is this way. I hate that I can't just get phone calls over the uconnect and leave the text to just the phone. I think I have disabled the text from appearing from the phone side but then I get no notification on the phone. I also do not get notifications like email etc when connected to the uconnect.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I use Android Auto. My system does not announce a text message. I get a simple bell and a visual I can press to play back the message. I hope I don't accidentally enable whatever you guys have enabled. Mine is the 2020 12"

moparfan06

Reaction score
I use Android Auto. My system does not announce a text message. I get a simple bell and a visual I can press to play back the message. I hope I don't accidentally enable whatever you guys have enabled. Mine is the 2020 12"
As long as you don't pair your phone to Unconnect via Bluetooth, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
As long as you don't pair your phone to Unconnect via Bluetooth, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Interesting. My phone is paired to Uconnect. I am not sure, but I don't think I have allowed my contact list to be shared. Been almost a year since I set it all up.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. My phone is paired to Uconnect. I am not sure, but I don't think I have allowed my contact list to be shared. Been almost a year since I set it all up.
My truck sees my (Android) contact list and announces "new text msg from ""contact"" when paired or plugged in.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
If you can catch it in time while that "voice from hell" is still speaking, you can lower the volume separately from the stereo volume. I've never tried taking it all the way to zero, but assume it could be done.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I'm constantly surprised that people actually use the onboard UConnect when it is so crap-tastic.
AA and CarPlay are leagues away in terms of ease of use and simplicity.

My phone is paired to the UConnect and I only get pop up messages through AA... no noise, no announcement.

Users who are viewing this thread