Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible Towing pics thread

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
To be honest, I kinda want a set up like this. View attachment 19691
That’s the hot setup for the rock crawlin redneck folks . They don’t make camper toy haulers big enough for these rigs unless you go up to something like cleetus McFarland has that looks like a semi and that’s big bucks. But you can get a clapped out slide in camper and a gooseneck for under $10k

McHenry2500

Reaction score
That’s the hot setup for the rock crawlin redneck folks . They don’t make camper toy haulers big enough for these rigs unless you go up to something like cleetus McFarland has that looks like a semi and that’s big bucks. But you can get a clapped out slide in camper and a gooseneck for under $10k
The new "cool" thing for all the dirt bike and ATV guys in our area is horse trailers with living compartments. Put the bike/ATV in the horse stall and stay in the camper area. From what I've been told, the horse trailers are actually built better than a toy-hauler and you don't have to sleep next to a machine that stinks like 2-stroke fuel.

But I'd still be curious to go the gooseneck/slide-in route. Seems like it may be really heavy on the front end though?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The new "cool" thing for all the dirt bike and ATV guys in our area is horse trailers with living compartments. Put the bike/ATV in the horse stall and stay in the camper area. From what I've been told, the horse trailers are actually built better than a toy-hauler and you don't have to sleep next to a machine that stinks like 2-stroke fuel.

But I'd still be curious to go the gooseneck/slide-in route. Seems like it may be really heavy on the front end though?
Its no heavier than if the camper was in the box pin wise plus the crawler would be more or less just on the axles themselfs

Darkone

Reaction score
I’ve seen a few well built setups that look pretty good. As far as weight is concerned like at @Rockcrawlerdude said most slide ins weigh about 2000-2500 plus your putting weight behind it over to behind the axle whiche will balance everything out.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
You might be surprised but there are slide in campers that require 450/4500 trucks: chalet, mammoth, top of the line Arctic Fox and Lance also have models that are better suited for the 450/4500

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You might be surprised but there are slide in campers that require 450/4500 trucks: chalet, mammoth, top of the line Arctic Fox and Lance also have models that are better suited for the 450/4500
Yea but this ain’t one of those. The one pictured looks like it came straight out of the back of a faded maroon ‘96 F150 with a straight 6 and an off white visor with chicken lights mounted over the windshield. Pushed it right up onto that gooseneck with a bobcat and ran some bolts into the wood floor with a cordless impact

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Yeah those I mentioned aren't "the most", the one pictured definitely isn't one of them.
Fleetwood Angler, depending on the model and options can be anywhere between 1900 and 2200 lbs dry, plus another few hundred lbs for water plus more for all other junk...
I've seen plenty of set ups like this one in Alberta, great for hauling your toys.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a guy in one of the Grand Design RV FB groups that's also in the built not bought FB group that put his Solitude on a monster GN trailer and hauls his rock crawler around on it with a class 8 truck.

Users who are viewing this thread