Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate issues

GarnetandBlack21

Reaction score
Not sure if it's me but the tailgate seems like it's gonna get damaged because it bangs around when I hit a bump. It's extremely loud, think it's because it's so light. Anyone else have this issue and know a fix? Truck has 1800 miles.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not sure if it's me but the tailgate seems like it's gonna get damaged because it bangs around when I hit a bump. It's extremely loud, think it's because it's so light. Anyone else have this issue and know a fix? Truck has 1800 miles.
If its latched in it should be nice and tight if not i would be going to the dealer

GarnetandBlack21

Reaction score
I can't see anything that's off. It's really weird! Since it's brand new, something has to be loose somewhere. ☹️

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
You gotta slam it closed. From the middle, not one side. Try that.
Yup...it's like a car door...if you don't use enough force it stops shy of being flush like a door that didn't latch all the way....learned that after being too gentle the first couple times closing it....

jadmt

Reaction score
I don't have to slam mine at least excessively hard. OP do you have a photo or better yet a video showing how it moves? any chance there is something caught in the latching mechanism? when I had mine lineXed they had some over spray on both sides in the latches and that caused some issues but it was easy to clean it out with a pick.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say excessively hard. But, you really need to close it like you mean it. And, you certainly cannot close it from one side or the other. At least my tailgate Pretty much has to be closed from the middle with a slam

I’m not saying he doesn’t have an issue, just like to rule out the easy common things first.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure it is the tailgate?

I know others have mentioned loose spare tires banging around underneath. Before I tightened my cab mounts I know that sound was horrendous over the right bumps as well. And not on this truck, but on my 4th gen, my track bar worked a bolt half a turn loose, which over speed bumps sounded like the world was ending.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure it is the tailgate?

I know others have mentioned loose spare tires banging around underneath. Before I tightened my cab mounts I know that sound was horrendous over the right bumps as well. And not on this truck, but on my 4th gen, my track bar worked a bolt half a turn loose, which over speed bumps sounded like the world was ending.
Good point!

Also, hitches have been know to bang around in the receiver over bumps.

Users who are viewing this thread