Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate assist

oaklandopen

Reaction score
I installed a Dee zee assist piston for my last 1500 and it worked out really well with the tailgate not slamming down. It didn't really do anything to help take the weight off whilst lifting and closing, which wasn't a big deal

So now the new ones I guess are aluminum and really light, which is nice, but I was still looking to have a soft lowering. Bought another one on Amazon after reading "this fits your vehicle." Unfortunately, it DOES NOT work on the HD (finally read one embedded review from another 2500 owner after the fact), but I think it will still work if I install some properly sized ball joints on the body and gate

So I guess my question is if the assist piston will work with a lighter tailgate. If it's too light I'm assuming it will either come down really slowly or not at all. If I knew there 1500s shared the same lightness of tailgates with the HDs i guess it should work

woody284

Reaction score
I added an assist to my tailgate. It’s works just as it should. I ordered it off amazon but I cannot remember if it was Deesee. It was a direct fit and stated it was for 2019 year 2500s

oaklandopen

Reaction score
I'm assuming yours came with the ball joints you had to install. I don't want to return the piston I got so I'm hoping to just get the ball joints and install it as-is. That's good news the lighter gate should still be ok

woody284

Reaction score
It came two mounting plates with ball joints attached. Deezee part number 43301

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Got the factory assist on the LongHorn. Seems to work ok but not sure what to make of it. Button on the remote too but never use it. I'm apparently missing the point of this engineering or... just getting too old. :cool:

oaklandopen

Reaction score
Confirming that DeeZee 43301 does work. 2019 Ram 3500View attachment 1854View attachment 1855

Thanks

Got the factory assist on the LongHorn. Seems to work ok but not sure what to make of it. Button on the remote too but never use it. I'm apparently missing the point of this engineering or... just getting too old. :cool:

Having a soft open has helped a couple times on my old tailgate. The new one is pretty light as it is but it's nice to have something that doesn't slam down. Kind of like the no-slam drawers and cupboards in your kitchen

Ruffone

Reaction score
I love it. On my previous trucks when people, not me the owner, opened the tailgate they would let it slam down instead of grabbing it and easing it down. I don’t know about you, but I like to have nice things and keep them nice.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I love it. On my previous trucks when people, not me the owner, opened the tailgate they would let it slam down instead of grabbing it and easing it down. I don’t know about you, but I like to have nice things and keep them nice.
Ya, I get the nice things thing but in four decades of driving pickmeups, I ain't ever had a non-assist tailgate damaged by other people operating it. Even when they partied on it! :D

GLB1950

Reaction score

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I bought one of these to assist me in lowering and raising the gate on my 01 1500. I've got absolutely 0 rotator cuffs left in either shoulder (1 reverse replacement now) and lifting the bloody thing got too much. Now, it's a piece of cake to lower it and raise it.
Gonna retract my statement in post #6. Now I get it!

oaklandopen

Reaction score
I never actually noticed the tailgate being easier to put up though, just a gentle down. These new tailgates are very light and nice, but it would still slam if let go

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I never actually noticed the tailgate being easier to put up though, just a gentle down. These new tailgates are very light and nice, but it would still slam if let go
The OE gate on the LongHorn takes much less pusta to raise - I haven't had it off yet but it's definitely lighter than my prior trucks . An additional assist on the new gates as mentioned by the OP and GLB1950 would certainly make life easier for those of us with physical challenges.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
So I discovered existing ball mounts behind the passenger side brake light on the 2500. They must be behind the driver's side on the 1500 because the directions stated it

Well, still won't work since the piston is pressurized and would actually do the opposite if installed

There must be an OEM piston I can get from the dealer that the Longhorns have

BillnLA

Reaction score
So I discovered existing ball mounts behind the passenger side brake light on the 2500. They must be behind the driver's side on the 1500 because the directions stated it

Well, still won't work since the piston is pressurized and would actually do the opposite if installed

There must be an OEM piston I can get from the dealer that the Longhorns have

Oaklandopen. There is an OEM assist damper that can be ordered. Part number 68362518AA. Ordered from Moparparts,Inc. Can get the friends and family discount on accessories until the end of the year. Just received one today and my Bighorn model 2500 has the ball mounts behind the passenger taillight. About a ten minute install. Works very well.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
Done with OEM part. Got it from the dealer, about $40 and picked up today after ordering yesterday

20191228_120709.jpg20191228_120749.jpg20191228_120802.jpg

foneguy

Reaction score
i have it works GREAT ! one on my 04, and one on my 2019 2500

Atomic Ram

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this up. Just ordered the factory strut for my new 3500.

Users who are viewing this thread