Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switch WiFi Hot Spot in Ram to a Different Carrier?

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I have a new 2020 Ram 3500 Longhorn with the 12.1 in display ordered that should arrive in a few weeks, Once it gets here I would like to switch the built in Hot Spot from Att to Verizon. The Local Att stores says the SIM card should be somewhere in the cab if the truck in case it should ever go bad.. My Dealer has checked vehicles on their lot and can't find it, so they let me borrow a vehicle to go to Att and Verizon and they can't find it either.

Does anyone know where the SIM slot is located. Verizon says they can change the card out to theirs and it will switch the service over to them.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I don't have a truck to validate this, but most likely they are using an eSIM, which is embedded in the UConnect hardware. It's not swappable. A lot of IoT devices are like that.

The way it works (roughly) is you need to find the eSIM number, tell your new provider, reset the eSIM profile, enter the new activation code the provider gives you and reset everything. You are now good to go.

So I guess, somewhere in the uConnect menus you can do this. Hopefully it is not a "dealer only" menu...

Good luck.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I don't have a truck to validate this, but most likely they are using an eSIM, which is embedded in the UConnect hardware. It's not swappable. A lot of IoT devices are like that.

The way it works (roughly) is you need to find the eSIM number, tell your new provider, reset the eSIM profile, enter the new activation code the provider gives you and reset everything. You are now good to go.

So I guess, somewhere in the uConnect menus you can do this. Hopefully it is not a "dealer only" menu...

Good luck.

I finally got to Verizon Tier 2 tech support and he informed me the could switch it over to the once I get the eSIM number, They may have jump through some hoops to do it but they can do it.

Thanks for help.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I don’t know this for a fact (or even have any real evidence that this is the case, I just want everyone to be aware of the possibility) but there’s a chance that the built in factory communication (UConnect OTA updates, UConect Guardian, SiriusXM360L, etc) are using the same connection that the WiFi hotspot uses and you’re just activating it for tethering when you set up the AT&T account. If that’s the case then you may find those features not working or eating up all of your data allowance if you do manage to switch carriers.

Of course it’s also possible that the system is dual SIM and/or dual radio and you’ll be fine.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I don’t know this for a fact (or even have any real evidence that this is the case, I just want everyone to be aware of the possibility) but there’s a chance that the built in factory communication (UConnect OTA updates, UConect Guardian, SiriusXM360L, etc) are using the same connection that the WiFi hotspot uses and you’re just activating it for tethering when you set up the AT&T account. If that’s the case then you may find those features not working or eating up all of your data allowance if you do manage to switch carriers.

Of course it’s also possible that the system is dual SIM and/or dual radio and you’ll be fine.

For some reason I was thinking most of those things were using the satellite connection instead of the WiFi. Don't they still work if you don't activate the cellular data plan ?

When I was talking with Att, They didn't mention I had or need to activate a 2nd SIM card, But Verizon told me it was a eSIM (or something like that) that is permanently part of the system and could not be removed. All I need is the number and I could get any carrier to activate it.

The reason I was wanting to change is because Att doesn't offer the coverage area that Verizon does when I am in most of the western states. Also Att wants $50 a month for a data restricted plan if you don't add it onto an existing account. Seeing I am already with Verizon the can add it onto my existing account for $20 a month with the same Unlimited plan I have without throttling my data back. I am on an old unlimited data plan, all you can eat plan no longer available.

Last edited:

Lary0071

Reaction score
I highly doubt that it can be done. Verizon runs on a CDMA network, totally different from the ATT GSM network from a hardware perspective. The only way it could possibly work is if RAM went to the expense to have a "global" cellular radio built that had radios for both GSM (ATT) and CDMA (Verizon) included. I may be wrong, but I would shocked if they spent the money in hardware and engineering to do that. It's not a simple SIM card. It is the physical radios built on totally different architectures that are the limitation unless like I said..... Someone decided to built 2 complete systems into the trucks system even though the truck is sold with the ATT system activated.

I would be 3 steps beyond blown away. But it could happen....?

litzdog911

Reaction score
I highly doubt that it can be done. Verizon runs on a CDMA network, totally different from the ATT GSM network from a hardware perspective. The only way it could possibly work is if RAM went to the expense to have a "global" cellular radio built that had radios for both GSM (ATT) and CDMA (Verizon) included. I may be wrong, but I would shocked if they spent the money in hardware and engineering to do that. It's not a simple SIM card. It is the physical radios built on totally different architectures that are the limitation unless like I said..... Someone decided to built 2 complete systems into the trucks system even though the truck is sold with the ATT system activated.

I would be 3 steps beyond blown away. But it could happen....?

So the newer RAM trucks are still using AT&T's GSM network, not LTE/4G? That's pretty lame.

jsalbre

Reaction score
They don’t use the WiFi, but they do use the cellular radio. The satellite connectivity is one way and receive only, for radio and GPS. Everything else is over cellular.

I’d there’s only one eSim then changing it to another service provider will likely break things.

Lary0071

Reaction score
So the newer RAM trucks are still using AT&T's GSM network, not LTE/4G? That's pretty lame.
I'm just going by what the OP stated. He seems to feel that it's on the ATT network, and he wants to change it to Verizon.

The 4G network doesn't tell you the architecture, it just tells you the generation of the network and give you some loose idea of transfer speeds. The CDMA or GSM question tells you what network and radio is compatible.

They all use marketing terms like 4G, LTE, 5G....

And I admit that there is at least a chance that the truck contains both radio types. I know that my 2017 Ram Rebel had a T Mobile or Sprint radio in it, and that was bad since only ATT and Verizon function were I work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jsalbre

Reaction score

The trucks are definitely on 4G/LTE, not old school GSM. Old 3G networks wouldn’t be able to handle the bandwidth requirements of the software updates and Sirius XM/Pandora streaming.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'm just going by what the OP stated. He seems to feel that it's on the ATT network, and he wants to change it to Verizon.

The 4G network doesn't tell you the architecture, it just tells you the generation of the network and give you some loose idea of transfer speeds. The CDMA or GSM question tells you what network and radio is compatible.

They all use marketing terms like 4G, LTE, 5G....

And I admit that there is at least a chance that the truck contains both radio types. I know that my 2017 Ram Rebel had a T Mobile or Sprint radio in it, and that was bad since only ATT and Verizon function were I work.

4G/LTE systems don’t use GSM or CDMA. A phone that works on one network now will work on others, though it may not have the entire frequency set if it were designed around a particular provider.

Lary0071

Reaction score
4G/LTE systems don’t use GSM or CDMA. A phone that works on one network now will work on others, though it may not have the entire frequency set if it were designed around a particular provider.
Then things have changed since the olden days

The systems running the various carriers used to be completely different.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
All of you bring a very good point, It is possible that the Verizon Tech Support forgot they were on very different Networks. It looks like I will just have to wait until the truck gets here and go by a Verizon Corporate store and iron this situation out. Hopefully the truck will be here in the next week or so as the truck is siting at the rail head just 270 miles away.

Thanks to everyone for your input as you all brought up some very good questions that might have been overlooked !

litzdog911

Reaction score
All of you bring a very good point, It is possible that the Verizon Tech Support forgot they were on very different Networks. It looks like I will just have to wait until the truck gets here and go by a Verizon Corporate store and iron this situation out. Hopefully the truck will be here in the next week or so as the truck is siting at the rail head just 270 miles away.

Thanks to everyone for your input as you all brought up some very good questions that might have been overlooked !

Please keep us posted. I'm likely to be in the same situation. My best plan is with Verizon.

Frank

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread. I will add some non-truck info to this discussion. The Winegard Air 360 antenna for RV's has an optional 4G/Wifi gateway that originally steered you into AT&T for service. They do show Verizon as the only other carrier besides their own plan which is likely resold AT&T. The internet is littered with people who tried to use Verizon, were told by Verizon techs everything should work, but the backend didn't work properly after a lot of grief with customer service. Maybe those issues have been resolved, but I would not bank on running another carrier through a gateway AT&T was originally speced on during development. Especially if Ram isn't advertising anyone else.

Tunacandan436

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread. I will add some non-truck info to this discussion. The Winegard Air 360 antenna for RV's has an optional 4G/Wifi gateway that originally steered you into AT&T for service. They do show Verizon as the only other carrier besides their own plan which is likely resold AT&T. The internet is littered with people who tried to use Verizon, were told by Verizon techs everything should work, but the backend didn't work properly after a lot of grief with customer service. Maybe those issues have been resolved, but I would not bank on running another carrier through a gateway AT&T was originally speced on during development. Especially if Ram isn't advertising anyone else.

Where are you mounting that bad boy?

Frank

Reaction score
Where are you mounting that bad boy?

The assembly is just a small dome on the roof and comes with AM/FM and TV functionality. Most new campers are getting these. The gateway is bought separate and there is an access plate on the ceiling where it plugs in and mounts, but you can also put it inside of the dome. I would pull the trigger if I saw some success stories with Verizon, 1GB @ $10/mo that rolls over is pretty reasonable.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Please keep us posted. I'm a Verizon customer and have been for years. I tried AT&T for about a year and always had dropped calls or poor service. Usually 1-2 bars. I wouldn't think RAM would force their customers to switch to AT&T when purhasing a 60k-90k Truck. I too just purchased a 2022 RAM 2500 with the 8.4 UConnect 5 w/NAV

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Please keep us posted. I'm a Verizon customer and have been for years. I tried AT&T for about a year and always had dropped calls or poor service. Usually 1-2 bars. I wouldn't think RAM would force their customers to switch to AT&T when purhasing a 60k-90k Truck. I too just purchased a 2022 RAM 2500 with the 8.4 UConnect 5 w/NAV
Why would you switch? Just keep your other devices verizon

Users who are viewing this thread