Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switch WiFi Hot Spot in Ram to a Different Carrier?

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Why would you switch? Just keep your other devices verizon
LOL Easier to make one payment than two If you don't become an AT&T customer you will pay more as well. I don't care to fight the network battles. Just my opinion.

gregpep95

Reaction score
2019 3500 owner & Verizon customer. Any update on switching carriers? It's my understanding that AT&T is not available in Canada & the trucks come with Verizon there which should make switching easy. Can anyone confirm that?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
2019 3500 owner & Verizon customer. Any update on switching carriers? It's my understanding that AT&T is not available in Canada & the trucks come with Verizon there which should make switching easy. Can anyone confirm that?
Verizon is an American company not here in Canada either

sstoner911

Reaction score
For some reason I was thinking most of those things were using the satellite connection instead of the WiFi. Don't they still work if you don't activate the cellular data plan ?

When I was talking with Att, They didn't mention I had or need to activate a 2nd SIM card, But Verizon told me it was a eSIM (or something like that) that is permanently part of the system and could not be removed. All I need is the number and I could get any carrier to activate it.

The reason I was wanting to change is because Att doesn't offer the coverage area that Verizon does when I am in most of the western states. Also Att wants $50 a month for a data restricted plan if you don't add it onto an existing account. Seeing I am already with Verizon the can add it onto my existing account for $20 a month with the same Unlimited plan I have without throttling my data back. I am on an old unlimited data plan, all you can eat plan no longer available.
The WIFI in the UCONNECT is only as good as the cell coverage.

We did the trial but found our Verizon phones had better coverage on the road. But if he lost coverage on our Verizon phones, the ATT WIFI was dead too.

Just use the the data share on your Verizon phones.

Frank

Reaction score
I bought the 12 months unlimited internet from AT&T for $120/yr. Installed an Android TV and my kid can stream Netflix in HD without interruption on cross country trips. You guys bother trying it before you go through all this effort?

sstoner911

Reaction score
I bought the 12 months unlimited internet from AT&T for $120/yr. Installed an Android TV and my kid can stream Netflix in HD without interruption on cross country trips. You guys bother trying it before you go through all this effort?
Iam not sure why you would buy it if you can make one of your phones a HotSpot and run the Android TV of that.
My Verizon phone seemed to have better or the same coverage.

Once we got in to the Black Hills in South Dakota the ATT was useless.

Frank

Reaction score
Iam not sure why you would buy it if you can make one of your phones a HotSpot and run the Android TV of that.
My Verizon phone seemed to have better or the same coverage.

Once we got in to the Black Hills in South Dakota the ATT was useless.
Because its faster than my Verizon phone, its always on, and no data limits. I have pulled off into corn fields and video conferenced when travelling for work.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Because its faster than my Verizon phone, its always on, and no data limits. I have pulled off into corn fields and video conferenced when travelling for work.
As I mentioned before, its only as good as the cell tower coverage in what area your in. I turn on the hotspot in my phone and my wife can stream movies on her tablet. Not sure how long that stays enabled but I have found it on after few hours even after inactivity.

Didn't seen worth paying for if it lost connection in the same areas as our phone. The salesman tried to tell me the truck acted as an antennae increasing coverage..... But we all know that's not true.

Now if the WIFI was via satellite.... Iam in.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, its only as good as the cell tower coverage in what area your in. I turn on the hotspot in my phone and my wife can stream movies on her tablet. Not sure how long that stays enabled but I have found it on after few hours even after inactivity.

Didn't seen worth paying for if it lost connection in the same areas as our phone. The salesman tried to tell me the truck acted as an antennae increasing coverage..... But we all know that's not true.

The hotspot will always stay on until you turn it of btw

sstoner911

Reaction score
The hotspot will always stay on until you turn it of btw
I have found it ofter air not using it before...I went in the settings and it looks like I can set the time off inactivity before it turns off. This is probably more likely with the RV TV as it gets turned off VS something left on I guess.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-200810_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-200810_Settings.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 24

Frank

Reaction score

You are aware you are paying for Verizon hotspot? It's $10 per month per phone and there are data limits and throttling.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have found it ofter air not using it before...I went in the settings and it looks like I can set the time off inactivity before it turns off.
That must be something new i have never seen it on my wifes android but its been a long time since i have used it i hate the androids lol

sstoner911

Reaction score
You are aware you are paying for Verizon hotspot? It's $10 per month per phone and there are data limits and throttling.
Hotspot is included with my Playmore unlimited plan. it does get throttled down after 8MB but it's never stopped up from streaming movies in the RV.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
I have the $35 plan with unlimited talk/text and 15G Data to include Mobile Hot Spot and I don't pay an additional $10 month. I rarely use more than 10G monthly, but I'm the only user on this plan. I'm not paying for an additional AT&T Plan just to have Mobile Hot Spot through UConnect 5. I'll just pare my phone to the system and use my phone data.

Lee Iacocca

Grumpy Old Fart
Reaction score
Can we not connect our new trucks to our iPhone hot spot? 2022 Ram 2500 Limited Longhorn 12” screen. I seem to be having a problem doing so. This pisses me off, but then again, I’m pretty grumpy.

Last edited:

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Can we not connect our new trucks to our iPhone hot spot? 2022 Ram 2500 Limited Longhorn 12” screen. I seem to be having a problem doing so. This pisses me off, but then again, I’m pretty grumpy.
Following: I too won't be adding an AT&T plan to my truck when I already have a Verizon Data Plan. I ordered my UConnect 5 with NAV and better have a working NAV system without having to purchase an AT&T Plan. I know you don't need a cell phone signal for NAV. The only reason the AT&T data plan is needed, is if you want to use your laptop, IPad, etc to watch movies, do web research, check email, etc. I don't have kids so the only time I would need a Data signal would be to look something up on the internet and I won't be doing that while I'm driving down the road. I'll pull over and just use my Verizon Hot Spot for this purpose. I already get all my email on my phone, but I don't read my email while driving down the road either.... lol

Lee Iacocca

Grumpy Old Fart
Reaction score
Following: I too won't be adding an AT&T plan to my truck when I already have a Verizon Data Plan. I ordered my UConnect 5 with NAV and better have a working NAV system without having to purchase an AT&T Plan. I know you don't need a cell phone signal for NAV. The only reason the AT&T data plan is needed, is if you want to use your laptop, IPad, etc to watch movies, do web research, check email, etc. I don't have kids so the only time I would need a Data signal would be to look something up on the internet and I won't be doing that while I'm driving down the road. I'll pull over and just use my Verizon Hot Spot for this purpose. I already get all my email on my phone, but I don't read my email while driving down the road either.... lol
I’m just trying to see weather and do radio updates. I thought this would be simple, even Alexa does not work without an internet connection. CarPlay works fine and I love it. Just trying to connect truck to internet by IPhone.

Lee Iacocca

Grumpy Old Fart
Reaction score
I’m just trying to see weather and do radio updates. I thought this would be simple, even Alexa does not work without an internet connection. CarPlay works fine and I love it. Just trying to connect truck to internet by IPhone.
So after taking to someone somewhere besides here in the states, I am told the weather and Alexa are not supposed to work yet. 1641331563387.png

Users who are viewing this thread