Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspension noise?

G_Greenway

Reaction score
Anyone else have a strange “thud” noise, that almost sounds like suspension bottoming out?
I have a 2020 3500, 6,000 k on it. At least once a day, when I go through even the tiniest of potholes (like a manhole cover), a loud thud will happen up front. Most often on the passenger side. It sounds like someone under the truck has kicked the floor boards. And extremely random.

In talking with a Ram tech, he said he’s heard of this with ‘19’s and ‘20’s, but they haven’t figured it out. It so loud at times, you think it would obvious. But not a noise you could ever replicate on the hoist.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Anyone else have a strange “thud” noise, that almost sounds like suspension bottoming out?
I have a 2020 3500, 6,000 k on it. At least once a day, when I go through even the tiniest of potholes (like a manhole cover), a loud thud will happen up front. Most often on the passenger side. It sounds like someone under the truck has kicked the floor boards. And extremely random.

In talking with a Ram tech, he said he’s heard of this with ‘19’s and ‘20’s, but they haven’t figured it out. It so loud at times, you think it would obvious. But not a noise you could ever replicate on the hoist.
Lots of people have the same issue even myself i almost forgot about it lol

red

Reaction score
I have a similar noise on my 2020 3500. It seems to happen when a front wheel drops into a pot hole at low speed.
I have another noise which can be heard when making a right turn into a parking lot exactly when the right front wheel goes up and over the swale. This is a thud noise which seems to come from under the back seat, I think this one could be a body mount. I only have 3500km on the truck and will take it to the dealer at some point to get both noises checked out.

G_Greenway

Reaction score
I have a similar noise on my 2020 3500. It seems to happen when a front wheel drops into a pot hole at low speed.
I have another noise which can be heard when making a right turn into a parking lot exactly when the right front wheel goes up and over the swale. This is a thud noise which seems to come from under the back seat, I think this one could be a body mount. I only have 3500km on the truck and will take it to the dealer at some point to get both noises checked out.
I have thought about body mounts too.....I guess I have to wait til something breaks - the worst kind of situation to be in.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

They all do it, I think. Mine does it every time I make this one right hand turn from this one stop sign where there is a dip.

also, am I the only one that laughs out loud a little bit every time somebody says “manhole”

G_Greenway

Reaction score
They all do it, I think. Mine does it every time I make this one right hand turn from this one stop sign where there is a dip.

also, am I the only one that laughs out loud a little bit every time somebody says “manhole”
I guess manhole isn’t the best use of phrasing:)
Thoughts on why they all do it? For a Ram tech, you’d think this wouldn’t be rocket science. It doesn’t bother me, as long as I can find out what it is.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I guess manhole isn’t the best use of phrasing:)
Thoughts on why they all do it? For a Ram tech, you’d think this wouldn’t be rocket science. It doesn’t bother me, as long as I can find out what it is.
I believe there has been no luck finding the source yet

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Wow this turned haha

2 sets of cab mounts on my truck. They work for about 1000 miles lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thestuarts

Reaction score
My 2019 3500 started making the thud noise after about 10,000 miles. Prior to that, it was whisper quiet. I had CJC Offroad install the Carli pintop suspension, radius arms, new rear leaf springs, and front sway bar. I still hear the thud with the new suspension, so it must be the body mount or something else. I have been considering mounting a GoPro underneath to see if I can capture a video of the sound.

Someone already made a video of the 2500 clunk. It may be the same thing. Here is the video:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
My 2014 made the noise and it was fixed with new body mounts that came out with a tsb. I don't understand how this noise is back when I swapped out to a 2020 but apparently body mounts are real hard to perfect...

campnw

Reaction score
My 2019 3500 started making the thud noise after about 10,000 miles. Prior to that, it was whisper quiet. I had CJC Offroad install the Carli pintop suspension, radius arms, new rear leaf springs, and front sway bar. I still hear the thud with the new suspension, so it must be the body mount or something else. I have been considering mounting a GoPro underneath to see if I can capture a video of the sound.

Someone already made a video of the 2500 clunk. It may be the same thing. Here is the video:
Reviving an old thread here, but this video is EXACTLY what I neede to see! I've been chasing down this exact noise ever since I had my Carli Dominator kit put on. I've been waiting impatiently for S&B to come out with silicone mounts for Rams. Soon, hopefully.

GulfCoastRam

Reaction score

This noise has been an issue since Ram using radius arms in the front suspension. My '11 2500 never made any front end noise then I purchased a '15 2500, it made the clunking noise described in this thread, at first it was concerning to me. It only did it occassionally on on very unsuspecting dips in the road surface or turning into driveways with a dip.

After bringing it up everytime it went in for service nothing was ever found wrong with it, they would just tell me they couldnt duplicate the noise, everytime I drove over a small dip a 1/4 mile from my house it made the noise but they wouldnt put the effort into driving over there to try it. I traded it in for a "17 and eventually traded it in for a '19, both of them made the same noise on that same dip and mostly on the passenger side any other time.

My '19 came with the bonus cab rattle on top of the front end clunk, it is the truck featured in the above video. After having two sets of cab mounts replaced they finally came out with the TSB to address the issue, it rattled just as bad after the TSB was performed. Ram closed out my case saying that the residual rattle was a natural characteristic of the vehicle, that was very unsettling to me. Aside from the cab rattle the truck had tons of other failures and deficiencies, the a/c was the breaking point. I was already having to tolerate listening to a rattle while driving around but couldnt deal with sweating while listening to my rattle.

It was a beautiful truck but hands down the worst vehicle I have ever owned and Ram couldn't have cared less. Left with a problematic vehicle that spent more time in the shop than it did in my driveway and a manufacturer that wouldn't stand behind their product I was left with a tough decision.

After being a loyal Ram owner for 17 years I traded the '19 Ram in for a '22 Silverado 2500 this past November, it was a little strange at first but it has been a great truck thus far.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
Seems like a crap shoot buying anything these days. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.
I had a lot of issues with my 2020 Ram, cab mounts included and traded it in for my 2021 which has been great so far.
Good luck with your Chevy

Users who are viewing this thread