Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

streaming on the 12" screen - has anyone done it?

CFE

Reaction score
Got my unit from streamtoyourcar.com. Can verify it works great and displays about anything you want to your uConnect screen. Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Video, etc. It’s just an Android operating system that is modded somehow to allow those apps to stream to your vehicle. It gets a thumbs up.

Nice - stupid question, but since our 12" screens are tall vs wide, does it only play video in the upper half of the screen or stretch it for the entire 12"

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Nice - stupid question, but since our 12" screens are tall vs wide, does it only play video in the upper half of the screen or stretch it for the entire 12"
Not a stupid question. Every app I’ve tried, with the exception of Netflix, does letterbox in the middle of the screen. Netflix stretches to fill the entire screen horizontally, which is bad, because it cuts off both sides of the image. Currently trying to figure out a solution for that.

Reactions: CFE

CFE

Reaction score
Not a stupid question. Every app I’ve tried, with the exception of Netflix, does letterbox in the middle of the screen. Netflix stretches to fill the entire screen horizontally, which is bad, because it cuts off both sides of the image. Currently trying to figure out a solution for that.
post your update regarding the netflix solution if you find one...following to see as that's the only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger on a mobile streaming device.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
post your update regarding the netflix solution if you find one...following to see as that's the only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger on a mobile streaming device.
My conversation with customer support...

Me - "Hey there. I purchased an 11 PRO from you guys. I have a 2022 RAM with the 12’ uConnect 5 headunit. Everything works great except for Netflix. It stretches the picture vertically to fill the 12’ screen (which cuts off large parts of the left to right image), instead of doing a centered letterbox image like every other app/program I have used. I can find no option to center and/or unstretch the image either in the Netflix app, or any video output settings in the main menu. Is there a solution/option I’m missing here?"

Them - "For 2022, Ram decided to make the screen full screen and since the screen is mounted in vertical format it will do that. The Netflix app does not have an option to do half screen, like youtube does for example.
What does this mean? If you are watching a Netflix movie, it needs to zoom in to fill your entire screen. (Which means a little bit of footage gets cut off on the sides) Apps like youtube work perfect. Personally i love the way it looks on the 22 Ram, it's pretty impressive.

Thanks,
Stream To Your Car"

So, there you go. I was messing around with trying to play Netflix in a browser instead of the app, because it would give me screen size options, but Netflix has so many different DRM safeguards going, I haven't been able to make it happen yet.

It's not the end of the world, but you do miss some left and right content. Again this is only for Netflix. Everything else I've tried works perfectly.

-t

ClawSS

Reaction score
Do the other "boxes" do the same thing with Netflix. I'm interested enough in one of the choices to consider, but would appreciate an "ease of use" and optimal experience.

I saw/read about using one of them in split screen. The image represented was left/right, but as anyone with a 12" screen would prefer the top/bottom split.

So, "Stream To Your Car", "MMB", "The Magic Box", and possibly with confirmation on UC5: "Naviks" are the main viable options. Right?

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Do the other "boxes" do the same thing with Netflix. I'm interested enough in one of the choices to consider, but would appreciate an "ease of use" and optimal experience.

I saw/read about using one of them in split screen. The image represented was left/right, but as anyone with a 12" screen would prefer the top/bottom split.

So, "Stream To Your Car", "MMB", "The Magic Box", and possibly with confirmation on UC5: "Naviks" are the main viable options. Right?
The issue with Netflix isn’t really the fault of the box. It’s an issue with the Netflix app not having a screen size/full screen option button like all of the other apps do. The 12” uConnect takes it and stretches it by default, unless a command is given from the app NOT to. That’s why I was trying to cast it from a browser (Chrome, Safari, etc) version of Netflix, because the browser version has those extra screen sizing options. Unfortunately Netflix’s code is smart enough to know that you’re trying to cast from a browser to an external device that they don’t like, and it doesn’t allow it. At least not yet with the scenarios I’ve tried. I’m still working on it. ;-)

Deez_Nuttz

Reaction score
Well I just pulled the trigger for a streamtoyourcar.com box for $298. On their website they show a guy with a 2022 Ram with uConnect 5 and the 12.1” screen streaming basketball and another one streaming a movie. I figure until I get my Ram, I’ll use it on my Tacoma!
Digging up this old thread to see if this worked out for you. Also wanted to see if I was just wanted to watch something on Safari, would it play on the screen?

techman

Reaction score
I may get trolled for this, but why on earth you do want to watch videos on your truck display? Doesn't anyone look out the window anymore? Is this a generational thing? I assume you are not driving during the movie screening?

:confused:

CFE

Reaction score
I may get trolled for this, but why on earth you do want to watch videos on your truck display? Doesn't anyone look out the window anymore? Is this a generational thing? I assume you are not driving during the movie screening?

You haven't lived until you drive 500 miles while watching Speed on repeat simulatneously.

toyboy1980

Reaction score

My particular instance was for my passengers on a long trip.

Deez_Nuttz

Reaction score
Well I ordered a module from streamtoyourcr.com I have an iPhone and it looks like it's google based, but there were a ton of good reviews and no bad ones (I hope the bad ones aren't just edited out) I'll update once I install and play with it for a couple weeks on my vacation.

Anyone recall the approximate shipping times?

CFE

Reaction score
Well I ordered a module from streamtoyourcr.com I have an iPhone and it looks like it's google based, but there were a ton of good reviews and no bad ones (I hope the bad ones aren't just edited out) I'll update once I install and play with it for a couple weeks on my vacation.

Anyone recall the approximate shipping times?
looking forward to the review

waveslayer

Reaction score
I ordered the Magic box it works great... downside is it uses phone's Hotspot or car's wifi

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

CFE

Reaction score
I
I ordered the Magic box it works great... downside is it uses phone's Hotspot or car's wifi

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
I imagine this works in a similar fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread