Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stand-alone Hemi 5.7 swap

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Mopar gods

I found a cheap running driving low mileage 2005 Chrysler 300c 5.7 hemi

How difficult is it to run this engine standalone? Assuming I have the whole car of parts to work with.

I asked the seller if it has MDS but I haven’t received a response yet. Car looks fairly loaded so I assume it has that option. I read it was optional in that car that year.

Aaandroger

Reaction score
Mopar gods

I found a cheap running driving low mileage 2005 Chrysler 300c 5.7 hemi

How difficult is it to run this engine standalone? Assuming I have the whole car of parts to work with.

I asked the seller if it has MDS but I haven’t received a response yet. Car looks fairly loaded so I assume it has that option. I read it was optional in that car that year.
You should be good. Engine with sensors and ECU? Easy day.

Transmission adapter plate, splice O2 leads (unless they are the same), and piggy back the ECU output leads to the wrangle BCM or ECU to feed the gauge cluster.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You should be good. Engine with sensors and ECU? Easy day.

Transmission adapter plate, splice O2 leads (unless they are the same), and piggy back the ECU output leads to the wrangle BCM or ECU to feed the gauge cluster.
You think it will work with no trans signal and the factory ecu and stuff without buying an expensive Holley terminator x or something like that?

Aaandroger

Reaction score
I think so. I tried the standalone ECU route in the past (AEM), but it was easier just to piggy back instead of programming a new ECU.

The Holley would prevent piggy backing, but you would still need to figure out a way for it to output to your gauges.

It's a 2005 ECU and engine. Much less complicated. I would look at the ECU pin out for both the wrangler and 300 and see how many wires you would have to tap. It could be pretty simple to marry them.

The TCM would hold shift points and what not. If you're swapping into a manual, I don't see an issue.

If swapping into an automatic you should be good using the wrangler TCM. Since you would keep it's shift points and gear ratio.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
MDS started in 08 i believe. The hemi swap can be an expensive one but when i helped swap on in to an 05TJ we could not find a standalone ECM but they may have some now

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
LS swap. Or you're doing it wrong. You just want to be different LOL.
Cam swap project in progress..
View attachment 50690
I’m not set on anything at this point. I’m broke right now anyway. Actually I would rather have a 5.3 LS out of an 03 Tahoe or something they have 100 less torques which would be better for my application

Users who are viewing this thread