Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SPN3241

volunteer

Reaction score
The only forums I can find are Dodge specific and mine is a 2010 Freightliner step van, but I am hoping that someone can possibly help me. Here is what I know right now.

I have a SPN3241 which shows on the scan tool as an active code. under it it says FM1B out of calibration and SID0231.

The scrubber which is the only word that I can think of to use which contains the DPF and the CAT does not use urea and does not have a diesel injector in it is DPF a dead space and the cat. There is a line that goes from the dead space in the middle to behind the cat with a valve in it, I have no idea what it does. I have been working on automobiles for over 65 years but know practically nothing about diesels. (just an fyi)

Crawling all over the internet it appears that the egr system can be problematic so I purchased a gasket set for a dodge which had almost all the gaskets I needed and cleaned everything out to an almost spotless condition. At some point the egr valve was replaced as it is green and not red. there was a little soot in it, cleaned most of it out and determined that the valve moves smoothly.

I found out that if you start it up cold and let it idle after about 3-4 minutes the cel starts flashing and if you don't do anything the engine will shut down. Back to the internet and found that shut down will occur with exhaust overheat so with limited knowledge (limited knowledge is a dangerous thing) I jumped to the erroneous conclusion that maybe since the exhaust was stone cold, I had a bad heat sensor. Four hours slogging through rainy LA freeway traffic to the nearest freightliner dealer that had the heat sensors and almost $600.00 later I installed the sensors and poorer but wiser, don't assume you know what you don't because I am no further along than I was,

I discovered that the scan tool shows no turbo pressure at idle but at high idle it shows 4.3. I do not know if that is psi or some other unit of measure but I jumped on the turbo. Disconnected both sides of the turbo and started it up. The turbo spins smooth no noises and at idle if you put a hand over the inlet pipe it will almost suck your hand in. All that air movement has to be going somewhere so I can only conclude that the zero pressure at idle is an erroneous reading.

I disassembled the scrubber thinking that possibly something was plugged but you can see light through both. I see on the internet that the DPF can be cleaned with a pressure washer don't know about the CAT, but before disassembly I checked the flow at the tailpipe and it did not sound or feel like there was any restriction but took it apart anyway.

I do not know if this information will turn on a lightbulb with someone WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING but here is hoping

Users who are viewing this thread