Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

software updates

Kingsfisherman

Reaction score
well I'm still trying to learn more about this truck while it's getting serviced form the DEF system issue and today I got a text from the service dept. giving me estimates on 2 service items for which I would have to pay to have them done. 1 was the fuel filters which I will take care of myself, the other is for a software update to 4 different components which were not a part of this service issue. one was an update for the PCM another for the TCM, something to do with the parking sensor etc. anyways I declined the service and would like to know if anyone else has encountered this situation and if I should have accepted and got it done for the $330?

flan

Reaction score
well I'm still trying to learn more about this truck while it's getting serviced form the DEF system issue and today I got a text from the service dept. giving me estimates on 2 service items for which I would have to pay to have them done. 1 was the fuel filters which I will take care of myself, the other is for a software update to 4 different components which were not a part of this service issue. one was an update for the PCM another for the TCM, something to do with the parking sensor etc. anyways I declined the service and would like to know if anyone else has encountered this situation and if I should have accepted and got it done for the $330?
Any updates should be covered under the 3yr/36k mile warranty.

John Jensen

Reaction score
As I answered on another forum.

Go here and see what recalls are pending for your truck.
Recalls
Then find another dealer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Dealer is full of it if they are trying to charge you to perform a valid TSB.

I've had those updates performed and listed the TSB details in the TSB sticky post #14.

My initial complaint was lane departure "hands on wheel" problems that was resolved by this roll-up TSB for many issues.

Perhaps the tech did a poor job of writing his "story" as the $330 sounds about what a dealer might charge for the fuel filter change and the TSB work was @ N/C?

I would go back/call and tell them you would like only the TSB work completed and don't expect there is going to be any charges.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Dealer is full of it if they are trying to charge you to perform a valid TSB.

I've had those updates performed and listed the TSB details in the TSB sticky post #14.

My initial complaint was lane departure "hands on wheel" problems that was resolved by this roll-up TSB for many issues.

Perhaps the tech did a poor job of writing his "story" as the $330 sounds about what a dealer might charge for the fuel filter change and the TSB work was @ N/C?

I would go back/call and tell them you would like only the TSB work completed and don't expect there is going to be any charges.
Actually, Stellantis will only reimburse the dealer for performing TSBs if there is a warranty issue, and the customer’s concern matches the TSB description. Otherwise, one can’t just walk into the dealership while under warranty, and just have a bunch of TSBs performed just to “be up to date”, and have it covered. Now, the service advisor can choose to make up a bunch of customer concern claims to get the TSBs covered for you, but in the case of the OP, they went fishing on his VIN and used them as a sales tool.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, Stellantis will only reimburse the dealer for performing TSBs if there is a warranty issue, and the customer’s concern matches the TSB description. Otherwise, one can’t just walk into the dealership while under warranty, and just have a bunch of TSBs performed just to “be up to date”, and have it covered. Now, the service advisor can choose to make up a bunch of customer concern claims to get the TSBs covered for you, but in the case of the OP, they went fishing on his VIN and used them as a sales tool.

You're right. I forgot to include the "customer complaint" that I thought to add as I was writing "valid TSB." ;-)

To the OP I would say, if you have LDW, FCW, etc. safety group, tell them your Lane Sense disables itself because it thinks you're not holding the steering wheel - that is one of the complaints/issues that TSB covers.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

P.S. That's a sh**** thing to do and gives rise to people calling them "stealerships."

I got my truck serviced and gave a list of a few TSB, all with valid complaints, to the SA and got pushback. I pressed the issue with her boss (Svc Mgr) and got the work completed. This same SA told me she could be fired if she let me see the Witech scan output I requested after the work was performed. The first time I had work done there and asked for a printout of the Witech scan, it was handed to me when I picked up the truck - no questions asked. LOL.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Correct. They used to perform every TSB listed for your VIN # every time you showed up at the dealer. I believe it was early last year, the policy was changed to where the dealer can only perform a TSB IF the customer is complaining about some related to the TSB.

Users who are viewing this thread