Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

so noticed these on my 2020 PW.

jadmt

Reaction score
what function do these have? seem pretty vulnerable if a guy takes their pw offroad at all.
08A4C13F-A9C2-44CF-978E-EA5CC139C038.jpeg

"Ram Heavy Duty trucks feature all-new frames built with 98.5-percent high-strength steel, six separate crossmembers, hydroformed main rails and fully boxed rear rails for optimal strength and mass efficiency. Although the new Ram Heavy Duty is stronger and more capable, lightweight materials in the frame, powertrain and an aluminum hood reduce overall weight by up to 143 lbs. Two Active-Tuned Mass Modules (ATMM) mounted on the frame rails search out unfavorable vibrations and apply countermeasures to eliminate them."

never seen anything like them not sure how they actually work. Seems again like they are pretty vulnerable under there. I wonder what happens if you pull them off? set off some codes feel vibration etc? does your power wagon have them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the Passive two-mode frequency response dampers

Didn't think the PW or off road packages came with them.

jadmt

Reaction score
my 2020 has them. so what do they actually do?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Supposed to reduce engine vibrations from transferring to the frame/cab.

I thought only the non PW & OR packages get the Active Tuned Mass Modules, but they may have changed.

jadmt

Reaction score
thanks. I will say this thing is smooth so not sure how much of a role they play. Be interesting to see how they actually work but now that I know what they are I can research them a little. thanks

Last edited:

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
Supposed to reduce engine vibrations from transferring to the frame/cab.

I thought only the non PW & OR packages get the Active Tuned Mass Modules, but they may have changed.
Jeez! how does it feel to know everything? :D :p

jadmt

Reaction score
So how many other PW owners have them on their rigs. Seems like a poor placement if you play in the rocks at all. Anybody know what happens if they are pulled off?
p.s I had posted this question in the PW section but it was moved back to here. I just figured better chance of other PW owners seeing in the PW.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
So how many other PW owners have them on their rigs. Seems like a poor placement if you play in the rocks at all. Anybody know what happens if they are pulled off?
p.s I had posted this question in the PW section but it was moved back to here. I just figured better chance of other PW owners seeing in the PW.

I have them on my PW too. They are standard on all the new RAM trucks.

If you're worried about damaging them on rocks; you have more important things in that area of the truck to be worried about. Get some rock sliders to protect the vibrations sensors.....and the body of your truck. ;)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I merged the threads and moved it to the PW forum. Is that not what you're seeing? You should have received notice of this.

1598974796723.png

Distillusion

Reaction score
I have them on my PW too. They are standard on all the new RAM trucks.

If you're worried about damaging them on rocks; you have more important things in that area of the truck to be worried about. Get some rock sliders to protect the vibrations sensors.....and the body of your truck. ;)
It's been a while since I looked under a 2020 to see these, but I am fairly sure they were about halfway back along the front cab doors, about in line with the rear of the tranny? And about 2 inches above the bottom of the frame itself? With a cab mounting point just to the front of it by less than a foot, with a largish triangular bracket under it? So that the damper sits higher than the bottom of the cab mount? If I'm recalling correctly, it seems like you're right about there being a lot more to worry about in the area. Sliders, the frame itself, and whatever protection you added to the tranny and transfer case should take care of most worries. ??

Users who are viewing this thread