Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Side to Side play between OEM Puck system and adaptor plate

Bombdigitty

Reaction score
Anyone with the OEM fifth wheel prep puck system experience side to side play between the pucks and whatever you have installed.
I ordered the Husky adaptor bracket to use with my Husky fifth wheel hitch. The feet on it that lock into the pucks are a bit smaller than the opening in the puck system.

It allows for almost 1/2 inch of side to side movement. It is quite noticeable and unsettling when taking sweeping corners at highway speeds.

Pictures attached are of same corner of puck system with adaptor locked into place. Slid all the way to one side, then the other.
If you look at the locking handle, it slides from approximately 5-3/8" to 5-3/4"

Attachments

• Husky 1.jpg
    Husky 1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Husky 2.jpg
    Husky 2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 58

tnpete

Reaction score
Instructions should tell you how to adjust it. that takes out the slack, The bottom part that fits into the puck part in the bed. Has to be tightened up. That will take out the slack. Check out the instructions for the Reese type. Reese Then see if it goes along with the factory.

Heres a vidoe showing you how to adjsut yours. about the 3 minute mark. https://www.google.com/search?q=ram...nt=gws-wiz#kpvalbx=_YY5gYajvAeq0qtsPrry9kAs41

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You need to tighten it and adjust it…. I am honestly thinking of tossing my reese one in the scrap as it is god awful i actually had to modify it to fit as the locking pins were oversized and the rails would not fit a reese hitch they were over 1/8 to wide now i plan on just buying a puck setup hitch save the headache

jeffn

Reaction score
Anyone with the OEM fifth wheel prep puck system experience side to side play between the pucks and whatever you have installed.
I ordered the Husky adaptor bracket to use with my Husky fifth wheel hitch. The feet on it that lock into the pucks are a bit smaller than the opening in the puck system.

It allows for almost 1/2 inch of side to side movement. It is quite noticeable and unsettling when taking sweeping corners at highway speeds.

Pictures attached are of same corner of puck system with adaptor locked into place. Slid all the way to one side, then the other.
If you look at the locking handle, it slides from approximately 5-3/8" to 5-3/4"
I had the opposite problem with my Demco. The T-pin anchors were so tight that I could not install the base plate for my sliding 5th wheel. I ended up taking a file to soften the edges and a liberal amount of grease over all the moving parts. Damn thing is so tight that I don’t look forward to setting it up or removing it, but that does give me peace of mind when towing.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I had the opposite problem with my Demco. The T-pin anchors were so tight that I could not install the base plate for my sliding 5th wheel. I ended up taking a file to soften the edges and a liberal amount of grease over all the moving parts. Damn thing is so tight that I don’t look forward to setting it up or removing it, but that does give me peace of mind when towing.
You can adjust it so its not so tight they need to be tight but not crazy tight

Bombdigitty

Reaction score
Well I wrote Husky last fall.
To all the commenters above...I did adjust it. That was not the issue.

Ram made a change to the puck system around July 2020 as per Husky. They are working on a solution. New adaptors to interface with the truck i guess.
Due to covid supply chain issues they do not have the new parts available yet, but should be soon.

tnpete

Reaction score

Ram made a change to the puck system around July 2020 as per Husky. They are working on a solution. New adaptors to interface with the truck i guess.
Due to covid supply chain issues they do not have the new parts available yet, but should be soon.
Guess I got lucky then. I have a picture frame made in 2019. It fits my 2022 perfect. After adjusting the slack out. But that was just me, yours may well be different.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

They made no changes since it was originally implemented

Users who are viewing this thread