Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I be worried? Weird (cold start) CP4 noise and filter bottom seems to have shavings or crap...

AttilaTheHun

Reaction score
So today I did my filters, after 15k miles, truck is at 55.5k. The only "issue" which really wasn't one during this time was the water in fuel light came on in the middle of nowhere after a fill up (I'm suspecting some low quality fuel at that specific truck stop). I ended up pulling over and draining the front filter for 20 seconds, and the rear filter until it came out clear fuel. It did start with murky fuel at first. The light went away, and never came back in the last 1500 or so miles home.

So the questions comes in that the rear water separator had this gunk/crap in the bottom of the housing and bottom of the filter, and what appears to be tiny golden shavings. See picture for reference. Could this be shavings from the CP4? would they look golden? or is it just gunk in the fuel from who knows where. I included a link to a video clip. I can't really explain it, but it sounds like it's ticking more than it used to, or is this normal? this was off a cold start after about 4 days of no starting at all at about 30F, so not too bad, and once it warmed up fully (I went to the store for some groceries and let her run) it seems to have gone away.

Am I just being paranoid? or is there something to my hunch? Thx in advance for all you fine fellows that answer...

Attila

Attachments

• fuel filter front.jpg
    fuel filter front.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 39
  • fuel filter rear.jpg
    fuel filter rear.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 38
  • cp4.jpg
    cp4.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 42
  • ff1.jpg
    ff1.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 40
  • ff2.jpg
    ff2.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 39

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Filters look pretty good from all the pics I've seen online of them. Usually a persons first time changing them out triggers similar FB and forum posts. Probably wouldn't if the CP4 issue wasn't around, but that damn thing has a way of spooking people.

That CP4 is buzzy as hell though. Worth a trip to the dealer in the hopes they might pre-emptively change it out to a dimple pump. I'd say wait for the "service solution" but Elder Scrolls VI will probably launch before they decide to release that information.

AttilaTheHun

Reaction score
Elder Scrolls VI will probably launch before they decide to release that information.
That, or Half Life 3... lol Happy to see another gamer in here.

Ok I'll stop being paranoid. I'll make an appointment the next time I'm home for a week. I'm not overly concerned, as EDT usually keeps here lubed up well, and she still has a good warranty. I'd be more concerned of the down time until they change it out if they would even do it. I earn part of my living with this truck. Thank you for the answers.

I also believe I could push those filters further, but for how much they cost, it's not worth it in my opinion. These are cleaner than some I've seen out here.

Xflight29

Reaction score
So today I did my filters, after 15k miles, truck is at 55.5k. The only "issue" which really wasn't one during this time was the water in fuel light came on in the middle of nowhere after a fill up (I'm suspecting some low quality fuel at that specific truck stop). I ended up pulling over and draining the front filter for 20 seconds, and the rear filter until it came out clear fuel. It did start with murky fuel at first. The light went away, and never came back in the last 1500 or so miles home.

So the questions comes in that the rear water separator had this gunk/crap in the bottom of the housing and bottom of the filter, and what appears to be tiny golden shavings. See picture for reference. Could this be shavings from the CP4? would they look golden? or is it just gunk in the fuel from who knows where. I included a link to a video clip. I can't really explain it, but it sounds like it's ticking more than it used to, or is this normal? this was off a cold start after about 4 days of no starting at all at about 30F, so not too bad, and once it warmed up fully (I went to the store for some groceries and let her run) it seems to have gone away.

Am I just being paranoid? or is there something to my hunch? Thx in advance for all you fine fellows that answer...

Attila
Are you sure that buzzing sound is from the pump ? I can't imagine any pump sounding like that, not that I know how they should sound like.

AttilaTheHun

Reaction score
to be honest, I'm not sure, but it came from that general area. Right now the transmission fluid is draining overnight, once I have new fluid in her tomorrow, I'll double check everything under there in case something may be stuck somewhere now that she's on jacks.

Next time I'm replacing the oil pan with one that has a plug. fricking ATF everywhere... I got nicely soaked too... lol

Maybe I'm just imagining things. I've been good to my truck, but hearing and seeing all these other one's grenade left and right makes one paranoid. I have a good 250000 miles to go before I'll trade her for the next truck, and I'd like her to make it lol

Users who are viewing this thread