Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shock Boots vs Nakey shocks

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
18" is a lot for a shock. Plus you will see higher speeds on a shock working than you will on a hydraulic cylinder doing work like a dozer, elevator, etc.

Ripping thru the desert and dunes, they get sandblasted. Running thru rain, mud and wet areas, they can rust. Simple polish with emery cloth and they are good to go. Been there done that way too many times.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I never run boots on shocks. Years ago I did on some white body cheapies and the shafts rusted. That wouldn't happen with the better shocks.

My rears shock bodies are going to be protected from rock hits by some CJC shock guards when I get around to putting them on. The outboarded shocks are a little bit more vulnerable. On a side note, Carli's King shafts are stainless steel. Thuren has stainless as an option.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
So what do you consider longer stroke?

My rear shocks had 18" of travel and I used every bit of it as was evident on the wipers.

Polished my shafts when they got dinged and when I rebuilt them. never had a oil leak or any other issues with them
Ran my Nitrogen pressure at 250 PSI. So if there was an issue, I would have seen an oil leak.

On the race truck, we don't run any boots or shaft protectors.
Pretty much my experience. Nothing sticks to the shafts that the wipers don’t completely wipe clean every stroke.

JHeat2500

Reaction score
I have rebuilt cylinders with close to 20ft of stroke so 18” is minimal in my books but he said sandblasted and rust you dont polish that off and get a good seal lol
You polish the light sandblasting that happens from use. If you don't, wiper seals get destroyed and any significant dings lead to rust. I never said to polish off rust. How many times are you going to intentionally misquote me? Honestly, you might be the most confrontational member of this forum. You try to start arguments in virtually every thread you participate in and it's exhausting. I have to wonder if you act that way in person or just on the internet? Sorry but hydraulic cylinders on heavy equipment don't see the same conditions as a shock absorber shaft that's 16" from the ground and has the potential to take rock strikes and gravel spray at 60 mph, 80 mph or even higher speeds.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You polish the light sandblasting that happens from use. If you don't, wiper seals get destroyed and any significant dings lead to rust. I never said to polish off rust. How many times are you going to intentionally misquote me? Honestly, you might be the most confrontational member of this forum. You try to start arguments in virtually every thread you participate in and it's exhausting. I have to wonder if you act that way in person or just on the internet? Sorry but hydraulic cylinders on heavy equipment don't see the same conditions as a shock absorber shaft that's 16" from the ground and has the potential to take rock strikes and gravel spray at 60 mph, 80 mph or even higher speeds.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
you do you, I really dont care what you think of me i almost always replate when i rebuild shocks its minimal cost and cheap piece of mind… Side note i never said heavy equipment cylinders that was assumed there are way more uses for cylinders in far harsher environments

regardless back to the original question running a dust boot is a bad idea.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Yea, but changing a 40 inch tire on a 17 inch rim out in the middle of the desert in less than 30 seconds makes up for it I guess.
Think NASCAR pits out in the middle of nowhere in the desert changing 2 tires and dumping 100Gal of race gas in 30 seconds.

We use NASCAR impact guns running at 200 PSI. But we had to modify them to be able to remove the lug nuts. NASCAR spec guns didnt cut it on the torque.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Yea, but changing a 40 inch tire on a 17 inch rim out in the middle of the desert in less than 30 seconds makes up for it I guess.
Think NASCAR pits out in the middle of nowhere in the desert changing 2 tires and dumping 100Gal of race gas in 30 seconds.

Adrenaline rush!!! I’d love to be a part of something like that. Sounds super fun actually. (Admittedly I’d have to get much faster at changing a tire )

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Adrenaline rush from hell.
First time I did a tire in a race, once I was done, I felt like I had run a full marathon, and it was only 45 seconds of work.

My best time during a race is 27 seconds. We have a few guys that have done 23 second pits during a race. Most recently was the 2 pits they did during the Baja 1000 and at the Mint 400. All 4 were sub 25 second pits.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is further Proof that you cannot have a discussion on the internet.

MxaUwdF.png

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I mean, basically.

OP asked a question. I answered it, but we wanted to double check since he’s in a different climate.

I texted the Lead Design Engineer of the Scotts Valley Fox facility where they design the dang things and he confirmed the answer and I posted it. OP and I laughed and the thread was good to go.

But some other guy on the internet is right, of course, and everybody else is wrong because he likes his shocks to wear booties. I guessing his doggie wears booties, too. That’s ok and all but it doesn’t mean they need them.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
I only put the shock boots on because right in the Thuren fox listing it says they are chrome shafts so run shock boots in a salty environment.

bsan

Reaction score
I use boots now after toasting a pair of 1300 dollar shock shafts in 30k miles. Yea you can replace them when your doing rebuilds.. its only money lol.

RAM Stag

Reaction score
Just received new Fox 2.0 shocks for my Power Wagon. I want to protect them, so I’m torn between getting shock boots or not.

Truck is daily driven in Colorado, so it will be exposed to corrosive road salt, in addition to normal dirt/mud. I like the idea of getting shock boots to keep the shafts protected from the elements, but I have heard boots can fill with water and mud which would be bad and counterproductive.

Fox sells roost guards which might help cut down on rock pits on the rear shocks, and maybe reduce exposure to elements, but wouldn’t be as effective as boots I don’t think.

My last truck had Icon shocks, no boots, for like 60 or 70k. Didn’t have any issues with them, but I do recall some pitting on the chrome shafts.

Anyone have any other opinion/experience?
View attachment 28151
Run the boots, put a couple small holes in the bottom to relieve any moisture build-up.

Users who are viewing this thread