Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rubbing noise from steering wheel

Stojanowski

Reaction score
Hoping the video uploads and you can hear it.

Was on a conference call this morning so it was silent but heard a rubbing noise when backing out. Thought it was my shirt rubbing on my big belly but noticed it throughout my drive.

Maybe it's normal and I never hear it ?

2021 power wagon

Bulldog

Reaction score
Hoping the video uploads and you can hear it.

Was on a conference call this morning so it was silent but heard a rubbing noise when backing out. Thought it was my shirt rubbing on my big belly but noticed it throughout my drive.

Maybe it's normal and I never hear it ?

2021 power wagon
This is one of several issues I've had with my 2021 power wagon since day one...sounds like the back of steering wheel is rubbing on something or a bearing full of grit.

Stojanowski

Reaction score
This is one of several issues I've had with my 2021 power wagon since day one...sounds like the back of steering wheel is rubbing on something or a bearing full of grit.
That's what I thought as well back of the steering wheel rubbing on the column... Have you taken it to the dealer?

Bulldog

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on them to come up with a fix for the remote start issue before taking it to the dealer. I think I broke my record this morning. When I used the remote start this morning it took 63 presses on the unlock button before the door unlocked....Ridiculous.
That's what I thought as well back of the steering wheel rubbing on the column... Have you taken it to the dealer?

Sir Snacksalot

Reaction score
I have the same thing here on my 2020 2500 6.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 4th gen. I scoured the web for answers, but all I found was that it was a common issue reported with 2nd gens, 3rd gens, 4th gens, 1500s, etc... Lots of speculation about clock springs, bearings, etc... but unfortunately no solutions.

That was a few years back, so there could be more info by now, but I just chalked it up to being normal and never worried about it after that.

Blackpowder

Reaction score
Truck went to dealer today for grid heater relay recall. While there I asked them to look into the rubbing/scrubbing noise in my steering column (consistent since new). They compared to a truck on their lot that made the same noise and stated no actual fault present. Did not investigate further to actually determine what is causing the noise (Clock Spring, wire harness rubbing, etc.). Disappointing but I'm not surprised.20211106_154916.jpg

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Most likely clock spring. I can hear the hydraulic steering pump at full lock but haven't noticed the noise described. My old F150 did it for 6 years and over 100k miles though. Just ignored it and really never heard it unless radio was off and listening for it.

Wouldn't and didn't bother me. Never caused any issues.

Blackpowder

Reaction score
Yes, probably will not become a problem other than making noise. If radio is off it is noticeable (and a bit annoying for an expensive "luxury" truck). May try a different dealer in the future.

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
My 21 2500 ctd makes the rubbing noise also. Seems to be coming from the 6 o'clock position.

Users who are viewing this thread