Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride Comparison - 2500 v 3500

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
2019 2500's and 3500's are finally starting to roll into my market. Today I was able drive both versions of the SRW without the Auto Level Rear Suspension. I know some here have expressed the view there is very little difference between the two. I agree that on town roads below 50 MPH, my passengers and I felt a nearly indiscernible difference. However, on interstate and country dirt roads where the majority of our driving/riding will occur, there was a major difference in ride quality where the 2500 won hands down.

I'm in a quandary because we want the Limited trim level and have learned today there is no way a 2500 will be legal on our 11,000lb. trailer with a 1,600lb. hitch weight. And, during the 3500 test ride we all just kept looking at each other thinking what are we going to do, because we couldn't believe how much worse the ride quality was. So, at this point, I don't know what we're going to do.

How big of a difference will the Auto Level Rear Suspension make a huge difference in the 3500 ride quality? How much will the ride improve once the weight of the trailer goes on the truck?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how much the air suspension will help with unloaded ride...but yes, it will ride smoother with the trailer attached and loaded up.

But how often do you go down those road with the trailer?

D

Deleted member 80

On the duallies it reportedly makes a differnce, as they run a much lighter spring pack, and let the bags make up the difference. I would ASS-ume they would do the same on SRW trucks??? The other thing to consider are Sulastic shackles that add compliance to the ride without sacrificing capacity. They have been around for years.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years I've towed several 5th wheels over 10,000#.....one of which was 15,000 and two were 18 - 19,000#. My leaf spring duallys road like a luxury car when loaded heavy with pin weight from the 5th wheel.....and not very good unloaded.

My new truck rides very well in my opinion, but that's coming from someone who does not mind DD a 1 ton dually. The rough ride from tnese does not bother me and in fact I much prefer this type of ride to the 1/2 ton I traded for this new truck. It's easy for me to forget that not everyone feels the same way as I do.

Trying tp put myself in your shoes is tough. So I guess it would be similar to me liking my 1/2 ton but needing something tow a heavy 5th wheel. That's a tough call. If you buy something with the payload to tow heavy, it's not going to ride good empty. If you buy something for a softer ride, it won't tow much. That's a tough decision and one that has no really easy answer.

I'm not helping much here, but let me add 1 more tidbit from my experience. All of my SRW 3500 trucks have been long box diesels and y
to me they rode OK. All of my 2500 trucks have been shortbox gassers, which seem harsher riding to me. Maybe the CCLB 3500diesel would give you a better ride than a SB, and have the power and payload to tow what you want.

It is a tough decision.

Another random thought from me......have you considered a motorhome and toad instead of a 5th wheel and pickup?

As for the air suspension, I have not had one on a HD truck. I did tow a 7000# TT with my Rebel which had air suspension. It worked really well for that combo, but that doesn't tell you much about a HD truck.

Wish I could help more......

Heckyl

Reaction score
The 2500s have a TPMS (tire pressure moniting system), where the 3500s have a TPIS (tire pressure indicating system). The TPMS give you the annoying warnings , chimes and lights when you want to run a lower pressures in your tires to soften up the ride when empty. The 3500s have the TPIS ( past 3500s and according to the 2019 2500/3500 manual, but don’t know for sure). The TPIS gives you the tire pressure values on the instrument cluster, but will allow you to run lower tire pressures to give a much better ride when empty, but will not drive you crazy with warnings and chimes. There are lots of posts on other forums like turbo diesel registry forum about 2500 owners wanting to run a little lower pressures but hate the TPMS.... in fact a lot are looking for ways to disable it. From my experience, tire pressure is very controlling of ride quality and I like the ability the adjust with the 3500s. Just a thought.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Wanted to thank everyone for your replies. This forum has been so helpful to a newbie like me due to folks like you. Thank you! I’ve responded to each of you below.

I don't know how much the air suspension will help with unloaded ride...but yes, it will ride smoother with the trailer attached and loaded up. But how often do you go down those road with the trailer?
Good to hear the ride will be better when trailer is attached. The bulk of my driving will be when towing. The only time unloaded should be while exploring wherever we’re camping and roughly 10 - 20 miles around town each week.

The other thing to consider are Sulastic shackles that add compliance to the ride without sacrificing capacity.
Will check them out.

My leaf spring duallys road like a luxury car when loaded heavy with pin weight from the 5th wheel.....and not very good unloaded.

Trying tp put myself in your shoes is tough. If you buy something with the payload to tow heavy, it's not going to ride good empty. If you buy something for a softer ride, it won't tow much. That's a tough decision and one that has no really easy answer.

I'm not helping much here, but let me add 1 more tidbit from my experience. All of my SRW 3500 trucks have been long box diesels and to me they rode OK. All of my 2500 trucks have been shortbox gassers, which seem harsher riding to me. Maybe the CCLB 3500diesel would give you a better ride than a SB, and have the power and payload to tow what you want.

It is a tough decision.

Another random thought from me......have you considered a motorhome and toad instead of a 5th wheel and pickup?

Wish I could help more......

Hutchman, you’ve been exceptionally helpful. We have no interest in a motor home for a variety of reasons, but primarily due to the fact we are most comfortable boondocking. We’ve camped for years in tents and a pop-up, so this travel trailer (not a 5th wheel) that we’ve bought is 38’ which is going to really change not only how we camp, but where we camp. Who knows, maybe in 10 or 20 years we’ll be ready for one of those big busses.

Thanks for taking the time to try and put yourself in our shoes. I know it’s super tough. I’m just glad to read you feel the 1-ton ride will be much better when we’re loaded up with our bumper pull. When we finished the test drive, got back into our 11-year old Mercedes SUV, and drove over the same stretch of our test drive track, I started to question why I even bought a travel trailer in the first place. HaHa! I know the ride is going to be rough when empty and i’ll Just have to get used to it.

The 2500s have a TPMS (tire pressure moniting system), where the 3500s have a TPIS (tire pressure indicating system). The TPMS give you the annoying warnings , chimes and lights when you want to run a lower pressures in your tires to soften up the ride when empty. The 3500s have the TPIS ( past 3500s and according to the 2019 2500/3500 manual, but don’t know for sure).

Good to know!

Heckyl

Reaction score
Wanted to thank everyone for your replies. This forum has been so helpful to a newbie like me due to folks like you. Thank you! I’ve responded to each of you below.

Good to hear the ride will be better when trailer is attached. The bulk of my driving will be when towing. The only time unloaded should be while exploring wherever we’re camping and roughly 10 - 20 miles around town each week.

Will check them out.

Hutchman, you’ve been exceptionally helpful. We have no interest in a motor home for a variety of reasons, but primarily due to the fact we are most comfortable boondocking. We’ve camped for years in tents and a pop-up, so this travel trailer (not a 5th wheel) that we’ve bought is 38’ which is going to really change not only how we camp, but where we camp. Who knows, maybe in 10 or 20 years we’ll be ready for one of those big busses.

Thanks for taking the time to try and put yourself in our shoes. I know it’s super tough. I’m just glad to read you feel the 1-ton ride will be much better when we’re loaded up with our bumper pull. When we finished the test drive, got back into our 11-year old Mercedes SUV, and drove over the same stretch of our test drive track, I started to question why I even bought a travel trailer in the first place. HaHa! I know the ride is going to be rough when empty and i’ll Just have to get used to it.

Good to know!

We are all being nice and helpful because I, and probably all of us if we are honest...are terrified of the Abominable Snow Monster of the North!

jpaeth

Reaction score
On the duallies it reportedly makes a differnce, as they run a much lighter spring pack, and let the bags make up the difference. I would ASS-ume they would do the same on SRW trucks??? The other thing to consider are Sulastic shackles that add compliance to the ride without sacrificing capacity. They have been around for years.
This is correct... I drove a SRW 3500 with air and on the lot it was sitting next to a 3500 SRW w/o air and i compared the springs, there is one fewer leaf it looks like and they may be lighter leafs, hard to tell. What I do know is that I was impressed with the ride in the truck I took out. It's still a heavy duty truck, but in the 3500 w/o air I drove a while ago, you felt every single seam in the concrete on the interstate. That wasn't there in this truck.
It's almost unfair to compare the 3500s to the RAM 2500s with their coil link rear suspension... those trucks are incredible on their ride. But the 3500 with air is better than any other one ton out there IMO.

ghaynes754

Reaction score
One thing to always check to help, at least some, improve the ride is the actual tire inflation for your actual weights. Get a copy of the Truck Tire inflation guide for whatever brand of tire you have an follow those guidelines. I improved my ride today, only got my 3500 Longhorn Megacab two days ago. Dealer didn't even follow the door sticker for inflations. All tires inflated to 80#. Fronts were closer to 85#. I weighed the truck at a CAT scale right after picking it up. Firestone charts for my weight were 50# front and 35# rear. I went with 60#/50# knowing that I will be towing with about 1200# on the tongue weight. Make you wonder when you hear about short tire life if it isn't due to gross overinflation.

Brave

Reaction score
One thing to always check to help, at least some, improve the ride is the actual tire inflation for your actual weights. Get a copy of the Truck Tire inflation guide for whatever brand of tire you have an follow those guidelines. I improved my ride today, only got my 3500 Longhorn Megacab two days ago. Dealer didn't even follow the door sticker for inflations. All tires inflated to 80#. Fronts were closer to 85#. I weighed the truck at a CAT scale right after picking it up. Firestone charts for my weight were 50# front and 35# rear. I went with 60#/50# knowing that I will be towing with about 1200# on the tongue weight. Make you wonder when you hear about short tire life if it isn't due to gross overinflation.
This is because they are set to a certain # for shipment and the dealers never change it.

archer75

Reaction score
This is correct... I drove a SRW 3500 with air and on the lot it was sitting next to a 3500 SRW w/o air and i compared the springs, there is one fewer leaf it looks like and they may be lighter leafs, hard to tell. What I do know is that I was impressed with the ride in the truck I took out. It's still a heavy duty truck, but in the 3500 w/o air I drove a while ago, you felt every single seam in the concrete on the interstate. That wasn't there in this truck.
It's almost unfair to compare the 3500s to the RAM 2500s with their coil link rear suspension... those trucks are incredible on their ride. But the 3500 with air is better than any other one ton out there IMO.
They are lighter leafs and the air bags supplement that.
They cover that here and a ton of other details:

jpaeth

Reaction score
This is because they are set to a certain # for shipment and the dealers never change it.
Actually, reading the "New Vehicle Preparation" sheet i got from my dealer when i picked up my truck, one of the checkboxes for prep is "inflate tires to maximum sidewall pressure." This is under the vehicle storage section. My guess is that dealers do that to avoid flat spots in tires on vehicles that sit on lots for months.

Brave

Reaction score
Actually, reading the "New Vehicle Preparation" sheet i got from my dealer when i picked up my truck, one of the checkboxes for prep is "inflate tires to maximum sidewall pressure." This is under the vehicle storage section. My guess is that dealers do that to avoid flat spots in tires on vehicles that sit on lots for months.
Interesting, that makes a lot of sense. I was under the impression it was delivery. Either way I guess none of them ever actually change the pressure back.

Users who are viewing this thread