Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrax PiwertraxPRO MX

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Anyone put a Powertrax Pro on new RAM 2500 yet? Thoughts? Was ordering the manual one but put on hold. What’s another $800 for powered one??

ghaynes754

Reaction score
Yes I installed one with my new 3500 Longhorn. Works well. Only challenge was that the bed of the truck, at least the rails, don't seem to be perfectly square. So had to adjust position to get it to work. Not a problem with the Retrax itself and would have come up regardless of cover brand. For power I tapped into the camper/5th wheel plug on the sidewall. Mounted a set of Yakima bars and bike rack.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Yes I installed one with my new 3500 Longhorn. Works well. Only challenge was that the bed of the truck, at least the rails, don't seem to be perfectly square. So had to adjust position to get it to work. Not a problem with the Retrax itself and would have come up regardless of cover brand. For power I tapped into the camper/5th wheel plug on the sidewall. Mounted a set of Yakima bars and bike rack.
So did you Not run it underneath to the battery, or how did you run it to that box? Over or under truck.

ghaynes754

Reaction score
Pulled wire from the hole on the inside of the drivers wall of the bed, hole is by the front stake pocket. Removed the screws to pull out the 7 pin connector. Fished wire down on the inside of the wheel well and then back up to the hole by the stake pocket. Zip tied in place to a couple of the support brackets. T splices to the power and ground wire on the 7 pin. Power is always on to the 7 pin.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Pulled wire from the hole on the inside of the drivers wall of the bed, hole is by the front stake pocket. Removed the screws to pull out the 7 pin connector. Fished wire down on the inside of the wheel well and then back up to the hole by the stake pocket. Zip tied in place to a couple of the support brackets. T splices to the power and ground wire on the 7 pin. Power is always on to the 7 pin.
Thank you..

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Thank you..
I finally did the same on my 2500 until my 3500 comes in to protect 5th wheel hitch. Does yours slide in and out smooth like constant power or does it kinda bog down some?? Can you send a video??

ghaynes754

Reaction score
Hoff, when opening it is pretty smooth. Going out it is jerky. Think this is simply normal. Small motor, one side of the drum pushing against a relatively heavy mass. Looks weird and I was worried the first few times but got used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread