Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retirement

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Well it looks like the time has finally come. Things are in motion and moving fast.

After 43 years of playing Sailor, its time to change course and pull into port for the final time. I'm hanging up my Dixie cup hat, and putting on my Cowboy boots and moving to the mountains.
My official retirement date is 24 Aug but I'm going on terminal leave June 21st and headed to Reno.

We are in escrow on 3.1 acres with a beautiful house about 20 miles north of Reno, Nv. Have a beautiful view of the Sierra Nevada mountains from the front porch.
Moon Rocks OHV is just 17 miles away down the dirt road, with plenty of trails in the area and some rock crawling to go play with the Power Wagon and the quads.
Was a bit surprised when we put our house up for sale here in Ca and sold it after being on the market for just 2 days and got more than what we were asking.
So we will be homeless for a few months and have to become renters somewhere till its time to go. But I'm OK with that knowing what lies ahead for us.

tchur1

Reaction score
Congrats! Sounds like you deserve it. You'll love that area, I grew up and live on the west shore of lake tahoe and the outdoor possibilities are endless.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
that's awesome... I'm about 2yrs out, on a permanent move to the farm. cannot wait.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Congrats man, what rank are you getting out at?
I retired as FCC back in 2001 after 21 years. Then went back to work For the Navy as Civil Service for the last 22 years doing Combat Systems testing of the new systems for the new ships. So was still playing sailor and riding ships.

The new house.
Screenshot_20230117-072342_Chrome.jpg

View looking over the house towards the front. The foothills of the Sierras are near the top of the picture. Have access to the pond for fishing and swimming.
Screenshot_20230117-072526_Chrome.jpg

jsalbre

Reaction score
Happy double retirement!

You should probably fill a mason jar full of sea water to keep in the house for emergencies. After that many years I'm not sure it's safe to be that far from the water!

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Congrats! At least you’re lawn looks low maintenance. ;) :p
For now. I want to put in grass in a few areas.

My original plan was to retire next year. But got tired of the job, did some figuring to get everything paid off except the house and new truck. And figured out how much I needed to pull out of retirement savings to put down on the new house so the payment was comfortable for me. Got it all done a year early. I turn 62 in June and have my 20 in Aug for my retirement pension. So we pulled the trigger.

ClawSS

Reaction score
How the F would you keep any vehicle clean out there? Geeze. But the wheelin' would be epic and probably be done on the way to the store and back just cause.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I have my own well so I can rinse off anytime I need to. Probably take it to town to get washed from time to time. Or see if there is a kid close by that wants to earn some money. :)

But yea, I'm sure I'll be like the grown up version of the family Circus cartoon when the wife ask me to go to the store. :rolleyes:

And I found a short cut to the uncles house that takes me thru Moon Rocks, rather than down the main road to Reno and back up the 445 pyramid highway to his house. :) I'll just have to keep telling the wife it's shorter and saves gas. :rolleyes:

Well it is shorter, so not a lie. :p

Users who are viewing this thread