Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retirement

tyler2you

Reaction score
Congratulations! Forty-three years is quite the feat. I did 21 years in the AF and have another 16 in DoD as a civilian. Thought about trying to get to 20 years and 62 years old, but I'm hanging it up at the end of the year. Our first grandbaby is due this month and he's 700 miles away. The wife has adjusted our priorities . . .

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Well it looks like the time has finally come. Things are in motion and moving fast.

After 43 years of playing Sailor, its time to change course and pull into port for the final time. I'm hanging up my Dixie cup hat, and putting on my Cowboy boots and moving to the mountains.
My official retirement date is 24 Aug but I'm going on terminal leave June 21st and headed to Reno.

We are in escrow on 3.1 acres with a beautiful house about 20 miles north of Reno, Nv. Have a beautiful view of the Sierra Nevada mountains from the front porch.
Moon Rocks OHV is just 17 miles away down the dirt road, with plenty of trails in the area and some rock crawling to go play with the Power Wagon and the quads.
Was a bit surprised when we put our house up for sale here in Ca and sold it after being on the market for just 2 days and got more than what we were asking.
So we will be homeless for a few months and have to become renters somewhere till its time to go. But I'm OK with that knowing what lies ahead for us.

Hell yeah congrats on the retirement and a bigger congrats on getting the hell out of this crappy state.

Good for you!!

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Congratulations! Forty-three years is quite the feat. I did 21 years in the AF and have another 16 in DoD as a civilian. Thought about trying to get to 20 years and 62 years old, but I'm hanging it up at the end of the year. Our first grandbaby is due this month and he's 700 miles away. The wife has adjusted our priorities . . .

Kids have all moved to other cities/states. No grandkids and probably none in the near future.
4 more years aint much. You get that second retirement, it helps some.
If the command supported me more, and let me do my job, I might have thought about staying longer. But being I don't have a college degree, but have to keep teaching them how dumb they are, I'm basically blackballed by the upper chain of command. But they need me way more than I need them, and they know it. My old boss put in a promotion for me. It mysteriously disappeared after he left. :rolleyes: I've been maxed out at my current payscale for about 10 years now.

I started telling them 3 years ago I was retiring and leaving. They told me I could come back as a contractor. Told them what about retirement do you not understand? They still haven't hired my replacement. Now that they found out I'm serious, they are scrambling. Told my boss I bought a house and mine was going on the market. You should have seen his jaw drop when I told him. :D

The crew I work with on the ship is awesome. I'll miss them. I love the job I do on the ship. The rest of the command can pack sand.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I should add... you'll miss Baja!!!
Nevada has NORRA. And there are a few race teams in Reno. ;)

And a couple of buddies have already said they would pay for my plane ticket to San Diego and pick me up.

This year, the Baja 1000 will be the end of my 10 year anniversary of returning to the Baja Fools and pitting for Rob Mac ( The GOAT).
It is also the 50th year of SCORE. so they are going t do the peninsula run backwards. Start in La Paz and race north to Ensenada. So I told the crew, if we do the first pit down by La Paz, and spend a week coming home up the race course and camping along the way, I'd drive down from reno for that.
If Rob teams up with Luke again, he has a chance of doing a second 3 peat of the Baja 1000. Noone's ever done that. Only 3 have ever done a 3peat. Larry Ragland was first. Rob was second and Luke McMillian got his last year. So we could set history. AGAIN!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

If it weren't for grandkids, I would have left Colorado a few years ago... Beautiful state that's gone to sh*t.

tyler2you

Reaction score
Kids have all moved to other cities/states. No grandkids and probably none in the near future.
4 more years aint much. You get that second retirement, it helps some.
If the command supported me more, and let me do my job, I might have thought about staying longer. But being I don't have a college degree, but have to keep teaching them how dumb they are, I'm basically blackballed by the upper chain of command. But they need me way more than I need them, and they know it. My old boss put in a promotion for me. It mysteriously disappeared after he left. :rolleyes: I've been maxed out at my current payscale for about 10 years now.

I started telling them 3 years ago I was retiring and leaving. They told me I could come back as a contractor. Told them what about retirement do you not understand? They still haven't hired my replacement. Now that they found out I'm serious, they are scrambling. Told my boss I bought a house and mine was going on the market. You should have seen his jaw drop when I told him. :D

The crew I work with on the ship is awesome. I'll miss them. I love the job I do on the ship. The rest of the command can pack sand.
Oh, I'll still get the 2nd retirement, just reduced by 5% per year for each year I'm below 62. I can handle the "haircut" to have a few more years to enjoy in retirement while I'm reasonably young/healthy.

Our oldest surprised us with the grandbaby announcement. He's been a confirmed bachelor forever, but last year at 38 he met the right one. She's 36, so the clock was ticking . . .

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So I just got the big punch in the gut from my command. :mad:

So they finally acknowledge that I'm leaving. They are taking 2 guys I work with for me to train on what to do as acting until they hire in a new lead to take my place.
So they are going to advertise my position for a new hire. BUT, they are advertising it at the next pay scale. The one they "lost" when it was put in for me. And they are now adding qualifications for the job, the ones I WROTE for the job when they asked me to qualify as there was none. :mad:

My retirement can't come fast enough.

RTillery

Reaction score
Same here. I want to find the Colorado of 42 years ago when I moved here? Where to go? I can't come up with the answer.
I'll turn 71 this year and getting close to hanging in up but just can't pull the trigger. Inflation and lack of uncertainty about what the govt. is going to do next, has me hesitant on stopping the commission checks from coming in. Business has been awfully good through the "pandemic" but I'm getting tired of dealing with other people's problems. I need to dedicate what time I have left to my family and myself.
Congrats and good luck to the guys who've made it to their goal.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Same here. I want to find the Colorado of 42 years ago when I moved here? Where to go? I can't come up with the answer.
I'll turn 71 this year and getting close to hanging in up but just can't pull the trigger. Inflation and lack of uncertainty about what the govt. is going to do next, has me hesitant on stopping the commission checks from coming in. Business has been awfully good through the "pandemic" but I'm getting tired of dealing with other people's problems. I need to dedicate what time I have left to my family and myself.
Congrats and good luck to the guys who've made it to their goal.

1992 for me after ETS the Army in 88 and a few years in the "back home" state of WI. Can't take the weather there (Winter and July 4) so it's dark and gray all the time. Also too close to IL.

I hear parts of OK are not what most think and a possible spot, but for us, too far from the kiddos.

I was looking at Prescott Valley, AZ but it's gotten nuts there too lately.

I'll probably be dead soon anyway when Polis tries to come take my guns. ;-)

UglyViking

Reaction score
Sucks about command being a bunch of jabronis Crusty. Sadly I find that most people that get promoted to leadership roles are poor leaders, just good at kissing ass and playing the game.

I've only been to Reno once when I was real young, but what I remember I thought was rad. Let me know how you feel about being away from the sea for so long. I thought I'd miss it more, but as long as you have some water I think you'll be ok.

Glad you were able to hang up the hat though. Enjoy the time.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Yea, currently I can drive 5 miles south, or 5 miles west and be at the beach. And I can stare at the ocean from my office every day. Then I have the days where I just look down at the ocean and watch it go by as we sail around.

But the new place has a few big mountains blocking my view of the ocean. and it's 5200 feet below me. :p But I'm sure I'll survive.

Hardtop

Reaction score
Congratz and Thank You for your service! Just a word of advice... make sure your medical is all squared away. I was shocked to learn how much it would cost to have that new smile surgically removed from my face after I retired. Decided to live with it. ;)

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So went up to the new house for inspections a few weeks ago. Found a big issue with the septic system, but he's fixing it.

Here's a nice view of the Sierra Nevadas from sitting on the front porch.

house12.jpeg

Standing on the south east corner of the lot looking north.

house 13.jpeg

Standing on the same corner looking east. basically the view from my back yard.

house 14.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread