Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen warnings on RAM?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Not the entire time - I just "assumed" that a "regen" message would pop up while driving?

Is there a way to check the historical data log via alphaobd to see if/when regens occurred?
1 - It will not "pop up". You have to monitor the gauge
I monitor with an Edge CTS3
2 - There's no way to check the history

Reactions: CFE

flan

Reaction score
Appreciate the info - I'll monitor it via the right display and be more attentive.
If you’re at highway speed they go pretty quick, most of mine have completed in less than 20 miles. No audible chime, just the message takes the place of the restriction gage.

Reactions: CFE

JeffFred

Reaction score
It will not tell you to "keep driving," but depending on your model you could have a regen screen labeled "diesel particulate filter" in the vehicle info section of your menu. I have been using mine (2019 2500 Laramie) as a daily driver, 12 miles to work, since I got it 14 months ago with no issues regarding the DPF/regen.
Don't believe everything you read. It will tell to keep driving as seen in this photo of a 2023 RAM 3500

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230908-004715.png
    Screenshot_20230908-004715.png
    590.2 KB · Views: 53

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Don't believe everything you read. It will tell to keep driving as seen in this photo of a 2023 RAM 3500
This (or a similar message, depending on trim) will only show if you're in the right screen. My 2019 LTD will only show a similar message if I'm on DPF screen and even then it's not a mandatory to keep driving. If you need to stop, the regen will resume the next time you drive it until it clears.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This (or a similar message, depending on trim) will only show if you're in the right screen. My 2019 LTD will only show a similar message if I'm on DPF screen and even then it's not a mandatory to keep driving. If you need to stop, the regen will resume the next time you drive it until it clears.
It has NOTHING to do with trim level the 2019+ CTD trucks all have evics that display the DPF soot load screen and will all get any of the DPF messages on the DPF soot load screen.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
There are different messages for different conditions.

Normal active regeneration messages only appear on the DPF screen in the EVIC.

If there are unique conditions that require driver intervention, those messages can indeed “pop up” on the dash, regardless of what screen you’re on. They are accompanied by a “ding”

For instance:

“Automatic exhaust system regeneration in progress”…..indicates a normal active regeneration cycle triggered by soot load or by the 24 hour timer, and is only visible if you scroll to the DPF gauge in the evic.

“Automatic exhaust system regeneration in progress continue driving”….indicates that the normal regeneration cycles are either not effective or have been interrupted frequently enough that they need to complete. This message is a “pop up” style and will appear on the evic regardless of what screen you’re currently viewing, accompanied by a “ding” or “chime”

In terms of the active regeneration cycles being interrupted and restarted, yes they will indeed “pick up where they left off” but it is important to point out that this is absolutely not the most ideal condition. When at all possible, you are far better off allowing the cycle to complete once it has begun. Especially if you’re able to keep it at a constant highway speed. Repeatedly interrupting the cycle can lead to a DPF not fully getting cleaned out and soot levels slowly rising. This is especially true in scenarios where the truck will see a different style of duty cycle on the next start up. For instance: you’re on the highway about 10 miles from home when the regen starts, so you let it run until you get home and then park it and shut it off (probably was about 50% complete). The next day you start it up and run down to the grocery store for some food and the truck starts the cycle again but sees a widely varying speed and rpm duty cycle in that case. The regen cycle is still running but you’re not getting as efficient a clean out with the engine fluctuating. You get back home and it’s still not complete so you park it again. And on and on.
The feature that kicks the cycle back on to complete is a fail safe but it is not the most beneficial for DPF health.

When at all possible let the cycle finish, preferably at highway speed.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if they finally fixed the programming on the 2023’s. There was a discrepancy between the messages on the dash and the messages outlined in the owners manual.
I have never seen that specific message on an instrument cluster prior to a 2023. Maybe someone finally “fixed the glitch”

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I’m wondering if they finally fixed the programming on the 2023’s. There was a discrepancy between the messages on the dash and the messages outlined in the owners manual.
I have never seen that specific message on an instrument cluster prior to a 2023. Maybe someone finally “fixed the glitch”
This was my point when I mentioned trim level. Obviously evic screen sizes are different on different trims (there are 2 or maybe 3 different sizes, don't remember now) and I assumed the messages could be slightly different depending on screen size. I've never seen a message like the one on the photo.

Users who are viewing this thread