Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recovery gear storage

jsalbre

Reaction score
Some of you may have seen a post from me the other day about updating my offroad recovery gear.

Now that I’ve done that I’m on to my next problem: Where to put it that is both convenient (enough) and secure (enough).

On my previous 2500 the more frequently used gear went in the rear cab floor storage and a ton of infrequently used gear went in a large tub in the bed, under a cap (we lived out of the truck and trailer so I carried a lot of stuff). Everything was secure, and I could get to what I need easily.

In my current Gladiator all of my gear has been stored under the back seat. This has become very inconvenient as we now have a big dog that sits on the back seat, so getting gear means moving him at a minimum, and if we’re on a longer trip may involve moving coolers and other misc stuff off the back seat as well. I don’t have a cap or hard tonneau as I frequently haul MTBs around, so a bag of recovery gear wouldn’t be secure in the bed.

On the new 2500 I still won’t have a cap or tonneau so still no secure bed storage. I also will still have the big dog, so getting to under floor or under seat storage will be inconvenient.

Where do those of you who carry more than the bare minimum of recovery gear store it?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Cross bed tool box. I store my gear in a sealed pelican box with desiccant bags thrown in so no rust, then throw that box in my cross bed tool box

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I did the back seat mod and store my straps behind the back seat. Other small stuff goes in the small floor bins under the mats.

Darkone

Reaction score
Cross bed toolbox here as well. Keeps things dry and able to carry what I need , well what I think I need with me always.

UglyViking

Reaction score
It's not a ton of gear, and I'd question how often you're gonna need it as you're figuring out where to put it. If you always have your dog in the back seat, then perhaps just toss it in the floor area in front of the seat? If you're worried about a roll over you can always put it under the seat, if there is enough space. Yeah it's annoying to have to move stuff, or get the dog out to get it, but again how often are you gonna need it?

A crossbed box is a great option, or a below the rails option, but it's gonna be a big box if that's all you're gonna store in there. If it can be multiple use then that's a solid option.

You can also strap down a pelican case with a lock on it, it's no less secure than a toolbox. There is also something like the bakbox (link) where you can fold/roll up a tonneau when you need to toss bikes and then have the secure storage when not.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The floor area in front of the seat won’t be available in the Ram as the seat will be up with the flat floor unfolded.

A toolbox in the bed isn’t a terrible idea. I’ll have other things to put in it. I’d need to find something below the rails and short (front to back) though, as eventually a rack with an RTT will be going on and that obviously precludes an over the rails box, and any box with a tall lid when open.

Something similar to a swing case might work, but I’ve heard the actual swing cases aren’t very secure.

Aaandroger

Reaction score
Most of my gear is in the decked drawers.

Great system, but it has its cons

Users who are viewing this thread