Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

@RamCares

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If my truck was affected, I would not hesitate to remove the power feed to the relay from the battery. I wouldn't' just park it and hope it doesn't catch fire.

If you have a 10mm socket and read the linked thread, it's about the simplest DIY fix you could do.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
If my truck was affected, I would not hesitate to remove the power feed to the relay from the battery. I wouldn't' just park it and hope it doesn't catch fire.

If you have a 10mm socket and read the linked thread, it's about the simplest DIY fix you could do.
LOL exactly. There is no casual response to “my truck could catch fire”.

Dunn08

Reaction score

I’d have a harder time finding one of my 10mm sockets than the correct wire

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Even the E-Torx 10mm disappears.

20211010_183916.jpg

(staged photo - I actually bought a new set because I couldn't find my E8)

MCV

Reaction score
Plea to @RamCares or any other friendly owner with suggestions:

2020 RAM 3500 VIN redacted
dual batteries, dual alternator, Uconnect 3, 5"

On at least 10 occasions my batteries have been dead. Seems very erratic, sometimes dying overnight, but almost always being dead if I have not driven the truck for 5+ days. Typically 100% discharged, such that there are zero interior lights, the key fob won't work, etc. I can successfully jump start (eventually) and the batteries then rapidly recharge with my dual alternators. A RAM dealer in Missoula said they had observed the issue with the Uconnect radio repeatedly attempting some update, but that often the flash for this radio required more than 12 hours.... I could not leave the vehicle for that long, so I later scheduled service at Grand Junction Colorado and left the vehicle for 4 days for evaluation and service. I was texted by the service advisor that indeed the radio was causing a phantom voltage draw (and causing the radio to irritatingly start-up at maximum volume, etc) but that a software update resolved the problem. (This contradicts the paperwork given to me that says they only observed 50-90 milliamp draw, and that if I must keep the AUX switch shut off overnight regardless that nothing was plugged into it.) Unfortunately, my batteries were 100% dead after the truck was unused for five days after the service. The AUX switches were off, and nothing plugged into it. Dual batteries should not 100% deplete in 5 days!

I have read from numerous other RAM/Jeep/Dodge owners that they have had similar issues caused by the Uconnect radio. Others have claimed that RAM got a batch of bad batteries. I have also read that discharging the auto batteries 100% flat at least 10 times will have done so much permanent damage to them that they will have permanently lost capacity.

I have been in contact with the service manager and he is willing to take the truck back in for further diagnostics. But I am 100 miles away, and the dealer won't provide an overnight loaner, and RAM has previously refused to pay the full cost of a rental car during previous warranty/recall services. The service manager said he has never heard of a Uconnect radio causing an unusual parasitic draw, although his technician observed it.
I just hate to have a brand new vehicle that is entirely untrustworthy. It seems to be a crap shoot as to whether the truck will start if I've left it parked overnight. Sure, I can purchase a battery tender to solve my problems at home. But I'd like to be able to have a vehicle reliable enough to go on an overnight trip without being stranded.

Questions:
Is there any thing that RAM Cares can do to help me better isolate and troubleshoot the problem so I can get a more rapid resolution to this?
Is there some other temporary work-around such as a "battery disconnect" system whereby at least one of my batteries can be isolated from whatever this parasitic draw is, allowing it to be untouched and reserved for starting the vehicle?
Do you concur that after 10 complete discharges that it has damaged the factory batteries? Will RAM replace them? Do you believe a desulfation charger is necessary and should be put on the truck to prevent further damage until RAM can fix it?

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Plea to @RamCares or any other friendly owner with suggestions:

2020 RAM 3500 VIN redacted
dual batteries, dual alternator, Uconnect 3, 5"

On at least 10 occasions my batteries have been dead. Seems very erratic, sometimes dying overnight, but almost always being dead if I have not driven the truck for 5+ days. Typically 100% discharged, such that there are zero interior lights, the key fob won't work, etc. I can successfully jump start (eventually) and the batteries then rapidly recharge with my dual alternators. A RAM dealer in Missoula said they had observed the issue with the Uconnect radio repeatedly attempting some update, but that often the flash for this radio required more than 12 hours.... I could not leave the vehicle for that long, so I later scheduled service at Grand Junction Colorado and left the vehicle for 4 days for evaluation and service. I was texted by the service advisor that indeed the radio was causing a phantom voltage draw (and causing the radio to irritatingly start-up at maximum volume, etc) but that a software update resolved the problem. (This contradicts the paperwork given to me that says they only observed 50-90 milliamp draw, and that if I must keep the AUX switch shut off overnight regardless that nothing was plugged into it.) Unfortunately, my batteries were 100% dead after the truck was unused for five days after the service. The AUX switches were off, and nothing plugged into it. Dual batteries should not 100% deplete in 5 days!

I have read from numerous other RAM/Jeep/Dodge owners that they have had similar issues caused by the Uconnect radio. Others have claimed that RAM got a batch of bad batteries. I have also read that discharging the auto batteries 100% flat at least 10 times will have done so much permanent damage to them that they will have permanently lost capacity.

I have been in contact with the service manager and he is willing to take the truck back in for further diagnostics. But I am 100 miles away, and the dealer won't provide an overnight loaner, and RAM has previously refused to pay the full cost of a rental car during previous warranty/recall services. The service manager said he has never heard of a Uconnect radio causing an unusual parasitic draw, although his technician observed it.
I just hate to have a brand new vehicle that is entirely untrustworthy. It seems to be a crap shoot as to whether the truck will start if I've left it parked overnight. Sure, I can purchase a battery tender to solve my problems at home. But I'd like to be able to have a vehicle reliable enough to go on an overnight trip without being stranded.

Questions:
Is there any thing that RAM Cares can do to help me better isolate and troubleshoot the problem so I can get a more rapid resolution to this?
Is there some other temporary work-around such as a "battery disconnect" system whereby at least one of my batteries can be isolated from whatever this parasitic draw is, allowing it to be untouched and reserved for starting the vehicle?
Do you concur that after 10 complete discharges that it has damaged the factory batteries? Will RAM replace them? Do you believe a desulfation charger is necessary and should be put on the truck to prevent further damage until RAM can fix it?
Hi,
Thank you for bring this to our attention. We will make sure to document accordingly. We recommend visiting a dealer for a diagnosis, if you need any help with your dealer visit, please reach out to us via PM.

Rob
Ram Cares

news4us

Reaction score
Just how soon will the kit be available for the 6.7 recall. Getting ready to go to Alaska and don't want to breakdown in the Yukon or Alaska.

news4us

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just how soon will the kit be available for the 6.7 recall. Getting ready to go to Alaska and don't want to breakdown in the Yukon or Alaska.

news4us

What kit?

If you're asking about the Y78 HPFP recall, please add some detail as this is a general "ask ramcares" thread.

r440

Reaction score

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
@RamCares ,I have a 2021 Ram 2500 HD and have a clunck under my feet in the front when turning and hitting a bump ,took to the deal and they couldn't replicate and after I took the service manager for a ride and demonstrated it he said they have to replicate on the hoist , so what can be done to get my truck fixed ? also ran across this thread https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...n-turning-right-2021-ram-2500-500-miles.4898/
That service manager should be fired just for his shear stupid comment

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
@RamCares ,I have a 2021 Ram 2500 HD and have a clunck under my feet in the front when turning and hitting a bump ,took to the deal and they couldn't replicate and after I took the service manager for a ride and demonstrated it he said they have to replicate on the hoist , so what can be done to get my truck fixed ? also ran across this thread https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...n-turning-right-2021-ram-2500-500-miles.4898/
Greetings,
We apologize for any dissatisfaction. Please follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Ram Cares

r440

Reaction score
Greetings,
We apologize for any dissatisfaction. Please follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Ram Cares
seems my messages aren't getting through

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
seems my messages aren't getting through
Hi,
We responded to your message, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Ram Cares

Etoimos

Reaction score
@RamCares

2022 2500 Power Wagon Level 2
4,900 miles

I have an issue where the floor of the truck bed has separated from the front bulkhead of the bed in the front passenger's side corner after a car battery slid into the bulkhead:

PWbuild-BedDamage-170126.jpg

PWbuild-BedDamage-170137.jpg

I expect there to be some damage to the bulkhead and there are two small dents (so small as to not be visible in these photos) where the batter made contact, but I think the bed should separate like it did in this case. I was able to take a photo from underneath the truck and you can see where the spot weld (or is it just snapped/pressed together?) clearly did not hold:

PWbuild-BedDamage-091457.jpg

PWbuild-BedDamage-091524.jpg

As you can see, it did not tear or twist the metal at the "spot weld", that weld simply let go.

I believe that this weld point is faulty and that is why the bed separated like it did. It took my truck to one of my local dealers and was basically told that was normal and they would not do anything about it. The Service Director was kind enough to let me know I could take it someplace else for a second opinion and let them take care of it.

I would really appreciate it if you could help me in determining if in fact that weld/snap was faulting without simply saying "not our problem" and sending me down the road.

Thank you,

Keith

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
@RamCares

2022 2500 Power Wagon Level 2
4,900 miles

I have an issue where the floor of the truck bed has separated from the front bulkhead of the bed in the front passenger's side corner after a car battery slid into the bulkhead:
I expect there to be some damage to the bulkhead and there are two small dents (so small as to not be visible in these photos) where the batter made contact, but I think the bed should separate like it did in this case. I was able to take a photo from underneath the truck and you can see where the spot weld (or is it just snapped/pressed together?) clearly did not hold:
As you can see, it did not tear or twist the metal at the "spot weld", that weld simply let go.

I believe that this weld point is faulty and that is why the bed separated like it did. It took my truck to one of my local dealers and was basically told that was normal and they would not do anything about it. The Service Director was kind enough to let me know I could take it someplace else for a second opinion and let them take care of it.

I would really appreciate it if you could help me in determining if in fact that weld/snap was faulting without simply saying "not our problem" and sending me down the road.

Thank you,

Keith
Greetings,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you’re experiencing. If you decide to address this concern with your certified Ram dealer, please feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Ram Cares

Reaction score
MINOR ANNOYING ISSUE:

Two months ago I took delivery of a 2022 Ram 3500 DRW LB with a HO Cummins Diesel in Laramie trim. I absolutely LOVE the truck, but I’m hearing a faint intermittent rattle that’s coming from the sunroof.

The rattle sound can be heard when driving over road bumps, when I close the door or the console tray cover. I’ve read that others have experienced the same issue & would like to know if there’s a TSB out that I can show the service manager at the dealership - who tells me that he’s NEVER heard of such an issue and that I shouldn’t search Online for answers. He told me that I should bring the truck in for service (in 2 weeks) so they can remove the headliner and troubleshoot the problem.

Before doing what he suggests, I’d like to find out if there’s a certain known fix for the issue in order to avoid having the headliner of my new truck removed & reinstalled numerous times as the dealer “tries” to troubleshoot.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread