Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I’m a thinkin it was done when they did the trany one but can’t remember for shure. I should check it.

CARNEYM

Reaction score
Got my fuel pump upgrade done this past week. Shout out to Jeff Wilson dodge jeep ram, they had the truck for two days. Had to go on a Two hundred mile road trip yesterday. I have always watched my fuel mileage on the EVIC and it has never went above 21.5 MPG. yesterday coming home on the interstate with 300 lbs in the back it got to 25.4 MPG. I plan to hand calculate later. Seems like the CP3 gets better mileage. Has anyone else noticed this.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Got my fuel pump upgrade done this past week. Shout out to Jeff Wilson dodge jeep ram, they had the truck for two days. Had to go on a Two hundred mile road trip yesterday. I have always watched my fuel mileage on the EVIC and it has never went above 21.5 MPG. yesterday coming home on the interstate with 300 lbs in the back it got to 25.4 MPG. I plan to hand calculate later. Seems like the CP3 gets better mileage. Has anyone else noticed this.
no
But one time I've noticed an insane fuel mileage out of my 6.0 GM work truck... with a strong tail wind a whole way to the rig.

RedhawkCC

Reaction score
Help! My local Ram dealer tells me they have the CP3 pumps but not the software to update the engine control computer. As far as I can tell they have no plan to fix my 2019 Laramie/Lonestar $80,000 truck. Still in limbo.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Help! My local Ram dealer tells me they have the CP3 pumps but not the software to update the engine control computer. As far as I can tell they have no plan to fix my 2019 Laramie/Lonestar $80,000 truck. Still in limbo.
Parts are the same for 19s and 20s, software is different. As of right now they can't do the 19s if a truck is up to date on all other recalls, doing so may brick the ECU or something like this (or so they say).

I don't understand why can't they roll back the programming then do the recall and flash again...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Did yours fail?

RedhawkCC

Reaction score
Did yours fail?
No, not yet. But I bought this truck for the long haul. Maybe 200,000 miles or more. If the CP4 pump is slowly grinding away, where are the metal fragments going? I believe they are being sprayed into the cylinders and damaging the cylinders. Permanent, life long damage. I sold my previous 2010 Ford King Ranch when I found out the 6.4 engine was a crisis waiting to happen. That was also a high pressure fuel pump problem. Now I have a brand new truck that is likely to die on any day. No thank you.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
LOL, metal is not spraying into and damaging the cylinders. If CP4 fails it will clog the injectors, etc but the metal shavings will not go past them. If it happens more work for the dealer as not just the HPFP but the injectors, lines will need to be replaced and fuel tank dropped down and drained and flushed... If you're not sure, go and check if there's any other outstanding recalls and if any of these (W57, VB6, W03, Y21) are outstanding, tell the dealer to get on and get your truck done. Some (many???) dealers aren't aware of it, show them this letter
A0C014FF-F621-4CF9-86CD-17496C969786.jpeg

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Good call on getting rid of 6.4 Ford, those are the worst diesel engines ever made

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No, not yet. But I bought this truck for the long haul. Maybe 200,000 miles or more. If the CP4 pump is slowly grinding away, where are the metal fragments going? I believe they are being sprayed into the cylinders and damaging the cylinders. Permanent, life long damage. I sold my previous 2010 Ford King Ranch when I found out the 6.4 engine was a crisis waiting to happen. That was also a high pressure fuel pump problem. Now I have a brand new truck that is likely to die on any day. No thank you.
The 6.4 didnt have injection pump issues… if you think metal shavings will go past the holes in the injector tip and hurt the engine you are wrong. the holes are so small that in the rare off chance a metal shaving was small enough it to pass through it would not do any harm to the engine.

And thats not how the failure works if it fails it often fails fast not slowly grinding away at anything. The cummins will do 200,000miles no problem it will easily do 400k- 500k miles if maintained even if you were one of the 4% that had a pump fail.

Drive the thing and stop worrying. There is a higher chance of getting in to an accident than the pump failing so maybe you should stop driving all together on the off chance that you get in to an accident….

RVTRKN

Reaction score
There can be an event that the injector sticks open, won't that harm the engine ?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
There can be an event that the injector sticks open, won't that harm the engine ?
Over time sure but the pump would die long before it had a chance to melt a piston also i have yet to ever see any cp4 vehicles ever have that issue from a failed pump

RedhawkCC

Reaction score
You're gonna love this. First, great feedback from each of you - Thanks! Last night I got a text from my local Ram dealership: "There is a Y78 recall on your vehicle with VIN ending in 3. Please call or text to schedule your appointment for repair."

Well now, isn't that funny that they can get me fixed now? I just checked and my VB6 and W03 recalls have been completed. The W57 and Y21 don't show up. So it looks like the dealer/FCA can determine to do the repair at their discretion. That's the only way to understand the optionality in the June 2022 Revision as seen above (good info Mega HO 3500). I will call them tomorrow to schedule the repair - keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, FYI for you all. I have been reading the revised law suite filed by Hagens Berman (Attached - 307 pages). I suspect many of you are also class members in this action. This is a superb summary of the problem as we know it. You will be surprised at how long this combination of CP4/US Diesel has been reeking havoc for unsuspecting owners. Read and enjoy!

Attachments

• Ram Class Action Complaint 2022-02-01-second-amendment.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You're gonna love this. First, great feedback from each of you - Thanks! Last night I got a text from my local Ram dealership: "There is a Y78 recall on your vehicle with VIN ending in 3. Please call or text to schedule your appointment for repair."

Well now, isn't that funny that they can get me fixed now? I just checked and my VB6 and W03 recalls have been completed. The W57 and Y21 don't show up. So it looks like the dealer/FCA can determine to do the repair at their discretion. That's the only way to understand the optionality in the June 2022 Revision as seen above (good info Mega HO 3500). I will call them tomorrow to schedule the repair - keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, FYI for you all. I have been reading the revised law suite filed by Hagens Berman (Attached - 307 pages). I suspect many of you are also class members in this action. This is a superb summary of the problem as we know it. You will be surprised at how long this combination of CP4/US Diesel has been reeking havoc for unsuspecting owners. Read and enjoy!
So much wrong info in the lawsuit… quality of diesel lubrication has nothing to do with it you could run straight motor oil and it will still be possible to fail. Its just crap luck where a lifter can turn 90° in the bore which will then cause the roller to dig in to the cam causing metal shards and usually almost instantly it kills the truck, if the lifter does not spin it will not fail as the roller is rolling as intended and the large cam lobes by design will keep the lifter from spinning unless you just have crap luck and become part of the 4%

Check out the S&S video on youtube instead of these no mind layers who have no clue what they are talking about

Also they have a 2018 truck as part of the failure which is just simply not true as the CP4 was NEVER installed on any 2018 cummins truck

Users who are viewing this thread