Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

Razzman

Reaction score
Every report I've read said no changes, including mine.
I think there are some who would report mileage drops if they changed their windshield wipers
Well then mine must be an anomaly because I am definitely getting better mileage. Mine has always been a fuel hog from day one, friends with the same truck in '21 & '22 versions tell me they get 21-22mpg on the freeway yet the best I ever got was 17mpg. Even though I've only driven 75 miles since the recall was performed, I've calculated 19.3 and that's freeway/town mix. Mine also always seemed to idle slightly rough, now it idles smoothly; so much so that my wife even noticed it and she's not one to pay attention to these things. And as a bonus it's definitely quieter outside on startup, used to have all kinds of rattles and noises. Now it's real quiet, actually really surprised me on that one.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well then mine must be an anomaly because I am definitely getting better mileage. Mine has always been a fuel hog from day one, friends with the same truck in '21 & '22 versions tell me they get 21-22mpg on the freeway yet the best I ever got was 17mpg. Even though I've only driven 75 miles since the recall was performed, I've calculated 19.3 and that's freeway/town mix. Mine also always seemed to idle slightly rough, now it idles smoothly; so much so that my wife even noticed it and she's not one to pay attention to these things. And as a bonus it's definitely quieter outside on startup, used to have all kinds of rattles and noises. Now it's real quiet, actually really surprised me on that one.

I wouldn't mind picking up some mileage, but with the HO I'm not hopeful.

FWIW, My SA just let me know they're only just now getting my truck in. Kinda pissed I dropped it there Friday morning...

Razzman

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind picking up some mileage, but with the HO I'm not hopeful.

FWIW, My SA just let me know they're only just now getting my truck in. Kinda pissed I dropped it there Friday morning...
Yeah ya, I've sworn off dropping off on Friday's. No matter what it is they always seem to need to keep it over the weekend!

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. I have two dealers nearby so I approached the second dealer for advice. Told me the same thing as dealer #1. They can only order one set of parts per 7 days. They have 8 people in line at dealer #2. All parts on back order. All dealers here are "in the same boat" due to parts supply issues. Alberta Canada if that matters.
LOL. They're all just making this up. My dealer will do the recall on all model years and they claim to be able to order two kits per week. One kit, two kit; 2019 only, 2020 only, all years; need an inspection or don't... lots of variation.

Reaction score
LOL. They're all just making this up. My dealer will do the recall on all model years and they claim to be able to order two kits per week. One kit, two kit; 2019 only, 2020 only, all years; need an inspection or don't... lots of variation.
Definitely a usual problem to have with dealers. At the end of the day tho, I can’t get the work done. There’s no parts. So I’m on the list, never know tho, might get a call next week for it or something. One can hope.

red

Reaction score
Definitely a usual problem to have with dealers. At the end of the day tho, I can’t get the work done. There’s no parts. So I’m on the list, never know tho, might get a call next week for it or something. One can hope.

I'm in the Calgary area and had the recall completed today on my 2020. It wasn't a smooth process by any means but at least it's done. As others have noted, there's no drivability difference with the new pump, maybe it's a little quieter on start up and at idle.

steve49

Reaction score
Well checked with the dealer today to see if the pump kit came in, and yes it did but won't get done because they can only do 2020's right now! Plus they weren't sure the kit was correct since only doing the 2020's. Service manager showed me the notice and printed it out for me.....bummer!

not 2019 yet.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well checked with the dealer today to see if the pump kit came in, and yes it did but won't get done because they can only do 2020's right now! Plus they weren't sure the kit was correct since only doing the 2020's. Service manager showed me the notice and printed it out for me.....bummer!

View attachment 39179

Thanks for posting this, now everyone knows with certainty the 2019 fix is not yet available. Sorry folks, I hope you get your fix soon!

If you have a complaint, please PM @RamCares instead of clogging up the thread. Hope you understand.

Hilly1

Reaction score
So not sure what dealers are doing what, but I had my inspection today and was told by the service manager that they actually pull apart and look for debris or whatever with the pump. . Mine was clean so only the pump was ordered. So this, if its running just order a pump I’m skeptical of What some are saying. I told the service manager that some were saying their dealers were doing this and he said that’s inaccurate. There’s a process.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
"pull apart" is an exaggeration. they just pull the fca out and check the pot for debris. literally takes 5 minutes.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So not sure what dealers are doing what, but I had my inspection today and was told by the service manager that they actually pull apart and look for debris or whatever with the pump. . Mine was clean so only the pump was ordered. So this, if its running just order a pump I’m skeptical of What some are saying. I told the service manager that some were saying their dealers were doing this and he said that’s inaccurate. There’s a process.

And my SM told me that they no longer are required to do that if the truck is running with no customer complaints... So it's the usual SOP for these guys - flying by the seat of their pants and/or not keeping up with comms from the mothership.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
"pull apart" is an exaggeration. they just pull the fca out and check the pot for debris. literally takes 5 minutes.

I think the dual alternator setup throws a wrench in that.

With the dual alts and steering overlay, there's even less room there.

Mine is finally done. No change in drivability, It does rattle more than the CP4. I'll see how it does towing Sunday. I just wish my DPF gauge that's been running high will regen/clear soon.

PCM code installed is P6401032PA

1654747513026.jpeg

KBob

Reaction score
Mine is finally done. No change in drivability, It does rattle more than the CP4. I'll see how it does towing Sunday. I just wish my DPF gauge that's been running high will regen/clear soon.
I've been wondering about the reports that the new pump is "quieter". My CP4 is dead quiet, even put a stethoscope on it.

It seems like the DPF monitoring system is pretty flaky on these trucks? I keep an eye on mine, and it's only registered anything, other than zero, one time after idling hooking up, then went into regen as soon as I was on the road. It's done a regen twice since then, and never come off ZERO that I noticed?

mr_mbuna

Reaction score

View attachment 39179
I just got the pump replaced on my 2019. I'm glad my dealer didn't have this bulletin!

Razzman

Reaction score
I've been wondering about the reports that the new pump is "quieter". My CP4 is dead quiet, even put a stethoscope on it.

It seems like the DPF monitoring system is pretty flaky on these trucks? I keep an eye on mine, and it's only registered anything, other than zero, one time after idling hooking up, then went into regen as soon as I was on the road. It's done a regen twice since then, and never come off ZERO that I noticed?
Prior to the pump replacement upon startup mine always sounded like a symphony of rattles, squeaks and various other noises which would settle down after it ran for awhile. It was annoying, not because of the noises but because my wife would constantly ask "what's that noise now!" I would answer it's a diesel, they make noise. After the pump replacement there's nothing, literally nothing. Don't know if they found something else to fix but there's nothing noted on the work order.

And my DPF has never registered other than zero, I don't even look at it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread