Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

thecastle

Reaction score
Dealers get a couple pumps a month no mater the size of the dealer…. Im not sure what your dealer is telling you but it does not make sense

What I wonder about is how many years this campaign will take. Assuming bosch / stellantis continue to dribble out (slow roll) parts, to the tune of 1 a week per dealer that would be 2,468 (# of ram dealers nationwide) pumps a week or ~10500 a month. Assuming of course they do this at least 52 weeks a year. I'm going to estimate (no actual data I can find), that ram sold.. According to motor biscuit 75% of ram 2500/3500 come with a cummins. Ram sold 633,494 pickups in 2019. I'm going to assume 40% were HD trucks, meaning about 190,000 HD trucks with cummins were sold. At this slow drip of pumps, it will take 1.5-2 years to process all of the 2019's. Probably about the same amount of time for 2020s. So folks could be waiting 3-4 years for a new pump to become available.... Thats assuming we're really getting 1 pump a week to each dealer as a min. *my numbers are a rough estimate based on the limited data available, and assume no supply chain disruptions, or faster production. It could be a lot worse, or it could be better.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What I wonder about is how many years this campaign will take. Assuming bosch / stellantis continue to dribble out (slow roll) parts, to the tune of 1 a week per dealer that would be 2,468 (# of ram dealers nationwide) pumps a week or ~10500 a month. Assuming of course they do this at least 52 weeks a year. I'm going to estimate (no actual data I can find), that ram sold.. According to motor biscuit 75% of ram 2500/3500 come with a cummins. Ram sold 633,494 pickups in 2019. I'm going to assume 40% were HD trucks, meaning about 190,000 HD trucks with cummins were sold. At this slow drip of pumps, it will take 1.5-2 years to process all of the 2019's. Probably about the same amount of time for 2020s. So folks could be waiting 3-4 years for a new pump to become available.... Thats assuming we're really getting 1 pump a week to each dealer as a min. *my numbers are a rough estimate based on the limited data available, and assume no supply chain disruptions, or faster production. It could be a lot worse, or it could be better.
There is also the calculation you missed of dealers here in canada that would be part of the sold trucks plus the dealers that can do the recall.
Plus trucks already done by the recall or aftermarket pumps

thecastle

Reaction score
Yeah, its just an estimate. Canada makes the time line potentially worse, and I don't suspect a meaningful number of trucks in North America 2020 have had their pumps changed, probably in the low 10K. When I asked about it in may my dealer one star dodge said they were getting 1 kit a month for 2020 trucks only and they had 8 disabled trucks on the lot sitting for an average of 4 months due to blown pumps.. I really think my ROM estimate is probably not far off on taking 3-4 years to complete the recall. Just for 2019, we're looking at 633,494*.4*.75=190,000 trucks in the US that need pumps, and at 10,000 a month rounded were looking at 19 months or 1.5 years to do the recall, longer when you include Canada. This also assumes none of the new pumps are defective (wonder what their failure rate is off the line). Then the 2020's double the time frame. In other words if you a typical owner and keep your vehicle 3-5 years, you may never see the recall performed in your ownership horizon.

Wileykid

Reaction score
I thought I saw that the initial number was around 240,000 when they announced the recall. Not sure if that includes Canada or not. This would also include the C&C.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah, its just an estimate. Canada makes the time line potentially worse, and I don't suspect a meaningful number of trucks in North America 2020 have had their pumps changed, probably in the low 10K. When I asked about it in may my dealer one star dodge said they were getting 1 kit a month for 2020 trucks only and they had 8 disabled trucks on the lot sitting for an average of 4 months due to blown pumps.. I really think my ROM estimate is probably not far off on taking 3-4 years to complete the recall. Just for 2019, we're looking at 633,494*.4*.75=190,000 trucks in the US that need pumps, and at 10,000 a month rounded were looking at 19 months or 1.5 years to do the recall, longer when you include Canada. This also assumes none of the new pumps are defective (wonder what their failure rate is off the line). Then the 2020's double the time frame. In other words if you a typical owner and keep your vehicle 3-5 years, you may never see the recall performed in your ownership horizon.
We have 2 out of 3 local dealers here doing 2 a week roughly (or were at the beginning) so i still think your numbers are way out to lunch

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So far so good, I had to call back today to confirm my appt for the 3rd of Jan. I got a different person on the phone today and had to explain the reason I was calling back was because I had not heard back from the original service writer I had spoke to regarding the 19’s being eligible for the Y78. Even she had said she thought they weren’t eligible but had me hold while she checked. Then came back and said yep, just came out on the 2nd. Nice to school the teachers once and a while. I assume they will be able to get the kit as she didn’t call to postpone my appt. yet. Fingers crossed..
Dropped mine off today the service guy confirmed it will be getting the recall performed ( i could not convince him to not flash the truck despite my best efforts he could not understand my delete tune will overwrite anything they flash, oh well i will just have to flash my tune in the parking lot upon pickup)

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Called dealer yesterday to see where I was sitting on their wait list. Was number 35 on 8/29/22. Adviser said he could get me in next month!!! My '19 is scheduled for 1/6/23! So happy and hopeful that this is going to finally be in the rear view.

jbncccb

Reaction score
Called one of the large Houston dealers today. Told parts not available yet for 2019's. Told him better check again cause a letter went out. Pulled it up and agreed that it changed 6 days ago. Appointment next week for preliminary inspection and to order the pump.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Cseybert

Reaction score
Called one of the large Houston dealers today. Told parts not available yet for 2019's. Told him better check again cause a letter went out. Pulled it up and agreed that it changed 6 days ago. Appointment next week for preliminary inspection and to order the pump.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
So they will get you on schedule after inspection?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Mopar sight text communication, yes parts available but set me up with another dealer in Springfield Tennessee. Called them, and have a inspection set up for Monday 10AM

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well Cp3.3 is in, truck runs much better the injection pressure is much more consistent, and sooo much quieter my CP4.2 was very loud buzzing the CP3.3 is quiet as a mouse but there is a touch more injector noise but thats not an issue. I will see how the fuel millage is in time

Last edited:

Dirtbiker70X

Reaction score
Got my Y78 recall done last week (2020 H.O. Aisin) along with new tires and an oil change. Pump is much quieter and the truck seems to run well, trans shifting seems to be much smoother and no longer surges in lower gears. Can't wait to see how it pulls my 21.3K 5th wheel now. However, I now have a droning noise in the cab at ~70mph (really loud at 72-75) that is reminiscent of my 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi. On that truck, it was the active noise canceling freaking out so I'm assuming something similar on the 3500? Do the HD's have active noise canceling? Going to search the forum now but wondered if anyone has experienced this after the Y78 recall.

red

Reaction score
Well Cp3.3 is in, truck runs much better the injection pressure is much more consistent, and sooo much quieter my CP4.2 was very loud buzzing the CP3.3 is quiet as a mouse but there is a touch more injector noise but thats not an issue. I will see how the fuel millage is in time

I can almost see the grin on your face!

woodrow

Reaction score
Ditto, I can hear mine whine slightly at low rpm
Update, my truck had the whine coming from the driver side under a load around 16-18psi of boost. I found that the boot that connects to the intake manifold wasn't properly tightened/sealed. After adjusting and tightening the clamp, the whine noise is completely gone.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Update, my truck had the whine coming from the driver side under a load around 16-18psi of boost. I found that the boot that connects to the intake manifold wasn't properly tightened/sealed. After adjusting and tightening the clamp, the whine noise is completely gone.
Luckily you found it before your DPF started plugging up

RedRam

Reaction score
Took my 2020 2500 in last Tuesday for the Y78 recall. Picked it up Friday morning. It is noticeably quieter, idle is smoother, the light throttle to off throttle roughness and gravely sound is gone. The 4th to 5th an 5h to 6th flare up when cold is gone.
I had a 2017 2500 before this 2020, the 17 with the CP-3 ran great and was smooth but the trans shifting was poor.
Now my 2020 runs great and shift's great. To early to tell on milage. I have driven 400 miles but we have snow and have been in 4wd half the time.

Users who are viewing this thread