Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

RV_Goose

Reaction score
650+ mile trip, not towing, and got 15+ mpg average running 75-80. I'd say the pump upgrade is good.

RTillery

Reaction score
This is weird. I went in to try to get an appointment back in May and they said no word on when the new pump would be available for my 2019 HO. They said to try and check back in September. Early August I went by and they said "Let's get it in next week". They kept it in for two days and swapped in the new style pump and it seems to be running fine. A little quieter at idle, power and mileage are about the same. I think it maybe is up to the individual dealer and what they can get for the replacement kits? I dunno. Just doesn't make sense that some are getting done and some are getting the run around.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is weird. I went in to try to get an appointment back in May and they said no word on when the new pump would be available for my 2019 HO. They said to try and check back in September. Early August I went by and they said "Let's get it in next week". They kept it in for two days and swapped in the new style pump and it seems to be running fine. A little quieter at idle, power and mileage are about the same. I think it maybe is up to the individual dealer and what they can get for the replacement kits? I dunno. Just doesn't make sense that some are getting done and some are getting the run around.
depends if you had previous recalls done or not because of programing

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Has your pump failed? It should be repaired if it failed, I know the parts are hard to get and it can take up to 3 months, but they still have to repair it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Has your pump failed? It should be repaired if it failed, I know the parts are hard to get and it can take up to 3 months, but they still have to repair it.
Idk about 3 months if its a decent dealer my dealer just had one come in failed, they ordered parts and the guy had his truck back within 1-1/2 weeks..

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Here in Bowling Green Kentucky I'm told 3 months if it fails.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Just talked to my local dealer yesterday (10/31/22) about my CP4. They stated that the 2019/2020's were getting pushed back and they were only replacing the 2021+ trucks. Service manager said if mine failed they'd of course replace everything under warranty, but until then I'm still waiting. Been on their list since June of this year!

McHenry2500

Reaction score
FWIW, your dealer got it wrong, there is no CP4.2 on a 2021 truck, so nothing to replace. My dealer told me that the CP4.2's weren't failing on the 2019's. :rolleyes:
Given my experience with this dealer.... I'm not surprised if they're wrong. I'm going in Saturday for some maintenance stuff so I'll try to get a straight answer then.

thecastle

Reaction score
I've received the re-call post card, and as such I went to big star dodge, and they told me that my 2019 had no parts availability and did not have an estimate on when a replacement pump would be available. So at this point I have no choice but to drive it with a suspect pump. The mechanic I work with mentioned they had at least 4 trucks on the lot with failed fuel pumps (various years) that had been sitting for months waiting for parts. My observations is even if your truck is broken, parts availability is slow. I suspect that by the time FCA gets a replacement pump the truck will be sold on to the next person. I plan to keep driving it until it either fails, or I sell it in 3-4 years.

Am I worried? Not really, given my track record with diesels, I'm more concerned something in the emissions system will break long before the CP4 does.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Just talked to my local dealer yesterday (10/31/22) about my CP4. They stated that the 2019/2020's were getting pushed back and they were only replacing the 2021+ trucks. Service manager said if mine failed they'd of course replace everything under warranty, but until then I'm still waiting. Been on their list since June of this year!
That's golden!
Prior to 2019 Cummins were equipped with CP3, starting with 2021 they went back to CP3. Only 19-20 have CP4 glitter bomb in them.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Doesn't this issue fall under the lemon law? And in my situation, bought it and registered it in Nevada and now live and registered it in Kentucky, so do you have to go back to Nevada or go by Nevada laws?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't this issue fall under the lemon law? And in my situation, bought it and registered it in Nevada and now live and registered it in Kentucky, so do you have to go back to Nevada or go by Nevada laws?

Please start a new thread.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
A local dealer called me out of the blue. Said my name came up for the recall, and they scheduled me to come about 3 weeks later. I called and was put on a "waiting list" at a different dealer back in June (I think), but never heard back. Mine is a 2019.

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
I got sick of waiting back in March or May, and ordered a CP3 swap kit from S&S. It was backordered forever and finally came in late Oct. I had some issue using their online portal but via a phone call and few emails I got approved for reimbursement. Check is in the mail, allegedly at least.

MikeXM

Reaction score
A local dealer called me out of the blue. Said my name came up for the recall, and they scheduled me to come about 3 weeks later. I called and was put on a "waiting list" at a different dealer back in June (I think), but never heard back. Mines a 2019.
Has any 2019 been done so far (without failure first)? I think I read a few times appointments were given for 2019 but always ended up a no go as "parts not available for 2019 yet".
Also it could be just the "verification" appointment. No parts are changed on that first visit. They just check if any glitter are present in filters. Unless things have changed since mine was done.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Has any 2019 been done so far (without failure first)? I think I read a few times appointments were given for 2019 but always ended up a no go as "parts not available for 2019 yet".
Also it could be just the "verification" appointment. No parts are changed on that first visit. They just check if any glitter are present in filters. Unless things have changed since mine was done.
some have been done

Rob122

Reaction score
Mines been done since May. I don't think I had any open recalls when they did it. Truck runs exactly the same as before with the exception that seems to use a noticeable bit more def.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
My 19s on the wait list @ dealer. It hasn't seen the dealer since new so no recalls have been performed. They said as soon as my turn comes they'll call. But it's a LONG wait. 35wks was what I was told at end of August, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread