Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram pricing

o4major97

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks Ram (and Ford) have gone off the deep end on pricing? I hate to admit it, but the 2024 chevy/GMC HD is looking better all the time.

Dave01

Reaction score
You're definitely not the only one!

But I put all 3 in the same boat. Contrary to what some people think, car companies aren't stupid and do a ton of market research. They are selling trucks for these prices because they can, there seems to be enough buyers of $70,000 - $100,000 pickups to not leave inventory sitting on dealers lots.

I think businesses, particularly small business and independant contractors, are suffering the most from this.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Kinda depends on the trim level doesn't it? Seems like if you get a high end truck, all 3 brands are high.

I'm starting to see a few HD's in inventory on lots lately so maybe the discounts will get back to "normal" soon.

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
Kinda depends on the trim level doesn't it? Seems like if you get a high end truck, all 3 brands are high.

I'm starting to see a few HD's in inventory on lots lately so maybe the discounts will get back to "normal" soon.
It does, but the annoying thing is that dealers seem to either stock the bare bones stripped version for commercial use or the fully loaded $90k-$100k truck on the lots (at least around me). Its tough to find a middle-of-the-road spec 2500. And don't get me started on color options being stocked (hope you like white, black or gray).

I ended up ordering my Power Wagon to get the color and spec I wanted, but I'm also 4+ months in with no Production yet. So far, my first foray into Ram has not been awesome. However, it sounds even worse with Ford (worst pricing of the 3 and longest wait) and I have just not been a fan of the GM truck styling for the last 5+ years.

Thisnthat

Reaction score

The Chevy/GM dealers in my area have almost pre-covid inventory of HDs. Smaller dealer has 10+ and larger dealer has 45+ on the lot. Sitting and not moving. Larger dealer is at sticker online - their 1500s are ~$5k off so I imagine they''d deal on one some.

UglyViking

Reaction score
For the thrill I prices my 2019 Laramie with the exact same options, or as close as I could get, as a 2023 model. I'm now forced into the 12" screen, so that's a previously ~$1200 option alone, but the price ended up at $87,200, compare that to my 2019 with it's list price of $72,000. Assuming you remove the 12" screen that is $14,000 increase in 4 model years. That is absolutely mind blowing. It also doesn't even being to account for the fact that discounts are nowhere near where they were pre-pandemic level. Most dealerships around me are still doing above MSRP pricing, but even as that drops, it still means that if I bought a 2023 version of my truck it would cost me over $26,000 more than my 2019 cost me. That's almost a 50% increase in real world pricing.

I would really like to step up to a 3500 to have a better rear end for towing a 5er and doing a flatbet + canopy build, but there is no way I'll be doing that. I've even looked at stepping down to a rather basic tradesman or big horn, but the prices are still out of wack.

I don't see this lasting long term. There are more and more guys flipping trucks on the daily, I'm seeing less and less RV parks booked up for holidays compared to pandemic levels, and lots are starting to have some trucks that aren't yet sold. Given 3-5 years and I fully expect we will be back to pre-pandemic discounts, minus the insane inflation we have had.

Firebird

Reaction score
I feel like I got a bargain on my 2021 one ton at $59K! Bought it new in August of 21, and then the prices went insane right after

flan

Reaction score
High finance rates are not helping sales one bit. 6% seems common, we probably won’t see 0% for a while, if ever.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
For the thrill I prices my 2019 Laramie with the exact same options, or as close as I could get, as a 2023 model. I'm now forced into the 12" screen, so that's a previously ~$1200 option alone, but the price ended up at $87,200, compare that to my 2019 with it's list price of $72,000. Assuming you remove the 12" screen that is $14,000 increase in 4 model years. That is absolutely mind blowing. It also doesn't even being to account for the fact that discounts are nowhere near where they were pre-pandemic level. Most dealerships around me are still doing above MSRP pricing, but even as that drops, it still means that if I bought a 2023 version of my truck it would cost me over $26,000 more than my 2019 cost me. That's almost a 50% increase in real world pricing.

I would really like to step up to a 3500 to have a better rear end for towing a 5er and doing a flatbet + canopy build, but there is no way I'll be doing that. I've even looked at stepping down to a rather basic tradesman or big horn, but the prices are still out of wack.

I don't see this lasting long term. There are more and more guys flipping trucks on the daily, I'm seeing less and less RV parks booked up for holidays compared to pandemic levels, and lots are starting to have some trucks that aren't yet sold. Given 3-5 years and I fully expect we will be back to pre-pandemic discounts, minus the insane inflation we have had.

the majority of the forum users probably bought from one of the high volume "online" dealers that are active on here for approx 11% of sticker for the past two years (Mark Dodge or Granger and a year or so ago a dealer in the NW was pretty busy) Regular guy buying from the local dealer is for sure missing out on $7-8k in savings

Blythkd1

Reaction score
\Given 3-5 years and I fully expect we will be back to pre-pandemic discounts, minus the insane inflation we have had.
I'll take the under on that one. With the looming recession, I wouldn't be surprised if we see good discounts and financing again later this year, and next year for sure. Just my $.02, I could be wrong.

jebruns

Reaction score

Inflation, as you mention, is at least part of the reason prices have increased so quickly. Also, you need to consider that your 19 is worth a lot more on trade than if the shortages had never occurred. That is less true now than even a few months ago, but still has to be considered to get a true picture of price differential. For example, I bought my 18 2500 loaded Laramie right at the beginning of the Covid lockdowns. Dealerships were a ghost town. It was 4x4, air suspension, Cummins, Mega, Ramboxes, 14K miles and Mopar Certified Pre-Owned. Under $40K out the door. I got my 22 through Granger, so saved $14K off MSRP. And I got $14K more for my 18 than I'd paid for it, when my truck arrived in early October of last year. That closes the gaps up pretty nicely.

But I do agree that waiting some is probably a good bet too, as things slowly go back to normal.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Inflation, as you mention, is at least part of the reason prices have increased so quickly. Also, you need to consider that your 19 is worth a lot more on trade than if the shortages had never occurred. That is less true now than even a few months ago, but still has to be considered to get a true picture of price differential. For example, I bought my 18 2500 loaded Laramie right at the beginning of the Covid lockdowns. Dealerships were a ghost town. It was 4x4, air suspension, Cummins, Mega, Ramboxes, 14K miles and Mopar Certified Pre-Owned. Under $40K out the door. I got my 22 through Granger, so saved $14K off MSRP. And I got $14K more for my 18 than I'd paid for it, when my truck arrived in early October of last year. That closes the gaps up pretty nicely.

But I do agree that waiting some is probably a good bet too, as things slowly go back to normal.
My 2019 is def worth a lot more in trade than it would have been, but I'm by no means making any money on it. I bought as first owner, so I obviously will take the greatest hit, but as of right now I'm about 2k under what I paid according to KBB. Not bad considering I bought it 2.5 years ago, but nowhere close to covering a difference.

MtnRider

Reaction score
$5+ dollar for a gallon diesel, $7 for a dozen eggs, housing is way up, etc etc. A vehicle is no different, EVERYTHING is ridiculous right now!

I "want" a new truck but no way I'm paying these prices.... They are more then I paid for my first house (and it was a nice house a block from the ocean).

Users who are viewing this thread